Two new tracks - ambient

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally found the time to finish a track and even make a completely new one, super happy since I've been building a new setup for many months and haven't really had time to play with it. :party:

https://soundcloud.com/noiseconstruct/resonant-wave-v2

! re-mixed based on DJ's feedback below.

This is a drone-based track with a cinematic vibe. DSI Mopho SE live takes with NI Prism, some Reaktor and Melda effects, Lagrange and mixed/mastered with TDR and Voxengo.

https://soundcloud.com/noiseconstruct/cloudride

Sequence-driven (sort of modern berlin school) track on a DSI Evolver live take with Linplug Spectral and Reaktor Blocks. Submission to ambientonline.org "Image-based Dare #22". Same effects as above plus some Klanghelm and Toneboosters. The Evolver track has no midi input or effects besides EQ and gentle compression, I love how it works like a modular synth in a tiny desktop case!

Thanks for listening and welcome any critique :tu:
Last edited by .jon on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Checked #1, overloaded bass and resonances make it very hard to listen. After 2:00 there are some cool, digital synths starting, though.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:Checked #1, overloaded bass and resonances make it very hard to listen. After 2:00 there are some cool, digital synths starting, though.
Thanks for the valuable feedback! There's a lot of intentional low end energy, which works great on the three systems I have access to. Unfortunately all of them are relatively new to me, so I still need to learn how to mix on them so they translate well. I'll upload a new version asap!

New version of Resonant Wave uploaded, OP updated.

Hey that first track is coool! Love it! What Reaktor/Melda effects did you use?
I never look in the Music Cafe but just happened to see this in the 'latest posts' hehe. Glad I came here.

The second track is nice too. Sounds kind of alive. Actually I think it's the kind of music I might like more and more on repeated listens...just my first impression though. :tu:

edit: I listened to the first track again and as listening I am thinking from 0:11 to 0:24 'hey is there something wrong with my volume' and I go to turn it up and realise no this is right...which is exactly what I did the first time I listened. This is not a criticism in fact I love it! Not many tracks you hear have the courage to use quiet like that. I love the first 2 minutes of track 1. Sorry I'm gushing. I don't often find music I really like. Well done!
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Thank you! :hug:

I'm happy with both these tracks, getting back to hardware seems to suit me well. I feel more connected, somehow intuitively closer to the creative process with more physical interaction. I really need to work on control solutions to lift software to a similar work flow level. I mean I love the sound of the DSI synths, but it's more about the methods/interface.

I used Stellar by the amazing boscomac, Cloud9 1.2 reverb by Bryan Lake from user library (not totally sure why, maybe I felt it needed modulated tails), and MConvolutionMB. I have the upgraded Melda free bundle and use the EQ and utility plugins in every project.

Both tracks are neat in an ambient context. The second one has a more uplifting feeling, nice synth variations here. It is my favourite. Well done over all. I like.
Greetings
HM

Listened to the second track. It’s a little bouncy for ambient but it seems to be in that genre. I thought it sounded good and brought relaxation.

Thank you both for listening and the kind words!

I enjoyed both. Particularly after the 4min mark in Resonant Wave, when the rain like sounds came in. At first I thought it was the crackle of fire. Either way, it provided extra dimension to the whole piece.

Kind of wish I could have heard v1 of Resonant Waves. Even if the mix wasn't perfect, overbearing frequencies can sometimes elicit a different emotional response...

Some very familiar tones in Cloudride. I've always loved the Evolver. Particularly the digital oscs, sequencers and the feedback/comb filter. A very inspiring synth. You created a nice space around it. It's easy for this kind of thing to get repetitive but you kept it interesting.

Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm listening to Resonant Wave via my new wireless DAC. It sounds great. I didn't hear V1, but this is very smooth and relaxing, with a nice balance of frequencies. I've only just made the connection between your KVR handle and your SoundCloud/AO id :dog: Better late than never.

I'll try to listen to the second piece later.

Good work :)

I listened to "Cloudride." It is an appealing Berlin School track with good sounds and enough developments to keep the listener engaged.

I think the mix is very quirky. The balance between sounds and wet/dry effects varies wildly. Sometimes I am hearing normal direct sounds other times it is just the effect output. There are also no high frequencies. I would suggest doing more conventional mixes.

justin3am wrote:I enjoyed both. Particularly after the 4min mark in Resonant Wave, when the rain like sounds came in. At first I thought it was the crackle of fire. Either way, it provided extra dimension to the whole piece.

Kind of wish I could have heard v1 of Resonant Waves. Even if the mix wasn't perfect, overbearing frequencies can sometimes elicit a different emotional response...

Some very familiar tones in Cloudride. I've always loved the Evolver. Particularly the digital oscs, sequencers and the feedback/comb filter. A very inspiring synth. You created a nice space around it. It's easy for this kind of thing to get repetitive but you kept it interesting.
Awesome comments! I might have overdamped the low frequencies as per feedback. The original low end rumble had the intended cinematic effect with the setups I checked it on. I just need to mix more and learn how they translate to usual listening systems!

Evolver is just fantastic, I'll never part with it again. It's probably the most modular-like non-modular desktop unit. I do want to include more variations to the sequence melodies, but I felt this one worked well as it is.

seismic1 wrote:I'm listening to Resonant Wave via my new wireless DAC. It sounds great. I didn't hear V1, but this is very smooth and relaxing, with a nice balance of frequencies. I've only just made the connection between your KVR handle and your SoundCloud/AO id :dog: Better late than never.

I'll try to listen to the second piece later.

Good work :)
Thanks! My "artist name" and AO came much later than this boring KVR handle, but after 15 years it's too late to change :D I love the spirit on AO, but it's pretty quiet these days, and posting on it refuses to work on my android tablet which I rely on when travelling, which seems to be most of the time now.

Frantz wrote:I listened to "Cloudride." It is an appealing Berlin School track with good sounds and enough developments to keep the listener engaged.

I think the mix is very quirky. The balance between sounds and wet/dry effects varies wildly. Sometimes I am hearing normal direct sounds other times it is just the effect output. There are also no high frequencies. I would suggest doing more conventional mixes.
Thank you for this feedback! I totally failed to notice the lack of high freqs, and you're correct- all meaningful content stops at around 4K :dog: I'll definitely keep this in mind in the future. As what comes to the the fx, there's only "wet" practically, using the internal FX of the Evolver and no other processing. I'll try to keep an eye on how it behaves in next tracks. Thanks again, this was very valuable feedback :hug:

Return to “Music Cafe”