Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes I use cubase and I am very happy

Patrick Mimran

Happy? Sort of...
More like content.
Seems with every REAPER update one problem gets solved but a new one appears. I wish i coukd just add a few features from version 5 to version 3.78.
Vers.3.78 was the last version that ran absolutely flawless for me.
However it's not bad enough (yet) to warrant switching to a different DAW.

I just started swearing at Reaper for not playing back my instrument tracks and selectively being a bugger just to piss me off when I realized I put my cell phone on top of a mic's solo button on my keyboard. I'm just getting old, and that's not Reapers fault. Sorry Reaper.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Made a switch from ableton to fl studio 12 and couldn't be happier. It's very open DAW, no rules - you get all the freedom, and very fast to get ideas going - mostly due to its phenomenal piano roll and playlist editing abilities. It looks and feels very nice too with it's vector based UI interface and smooth animations - just makes a big overall difference to me when it comes to playability and creativity. I can see why lots of people love Ableton, but feel like FL Studio was made for me. Then there's Harmor. What can I say, definitely wasn't expecting to be mindblown by the switch, always thought DAW is just a DAW.
I'm such a robot when it comes to work.

I'm usually very happy with all 10 of my DAWs, kid u not... Actually 11, but I guess I'm not so happy with Sonar anymore, but thats Cakewalk's fault not Sonars.

outside wrote:Made a switch from ableton to fl studio 12 and couldn't be happier. It's very open DAW, no rules - you get all the freedom, and very fast to get ideas going - mostly due to its phenomenal piano roll and playlist editing abilities. It looks and feels very nice too with it's vector based UI interface and smooth animations - just makes a big overall difference to me when it comes to playability and creativity. I can see why lots of people love Ableton, but feel like FL Studio was made for me. Then there's Harmor. What can I say, definitely wasn't expecting to be mindblown by the switch, always thought DAW is just a DAW.
FL Studio is a great DAW. I'm thinking if I can use it for my main compositions. I don't record audio and mainly I use midi. I like a lot the piano roll in FL Studio, so I will see how far I can go with it. But at the same time, I'm trying to learn Reaper more and be faster/more productive with it. I'm watching the great tutorials in their website and trying to get used to the shortcuts (which is not an easy task!).

I'm still happy with Cubase 9, but if I can replace it with Reaper/FL Studio, I would be happier as this will save me a lot of upgrades costs.

Most of my synths/effects are 3rd party anyway, so it is easy to switch when needed :)

very happy with Sonar Platinum, but less happy with Native Instruments' development of Maschine (a pseudo-DAW)
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

EnGee wrote: FL Studio is a great DAW. I'm thinking if I can use it for my main compositions. I don't record audio and mainly I use midi. I like a lot the piano roll in FL Studio, so I will see how far I can go with it. But at the same time,
In case you do decide to try it out, give it some time as at first as it might seem counter intuitive, especially the shortcuts. For example, everything felt natural in ableton while in fl studio all the mouse/keyboard shortcuts just felt different then what I'm used to in general. Also the way you organize tracks/channels, what I've found works best for me is to have only one track per channel (in channel rack). Then just paste it in on playlist and don't worry about renaming and coloring - you could try to rename and color everything in mixer, channel rack and playlist but in my opinion that's waste of time an energy. You will know exactly where everything is since you're the one who made the track. I was confused by all this at first, but it's actually an advantage. When you paste a pattern to playlist, feel free to cut it, move it, edit it, copy-paste it - and basically play like a kid, that's how it works in fl studio.

Nice ideas. Thank you :)

Switching From Ableton Live 9 (Suite) that I used since Live 4 to Cubase 9.5 Pro, I may keep Ableton Live but Cubase is becoming my main DAW. I'm really happy with Cubase.

outside wrote:
EnGee wrote: FL Studio is a great DAW. I'm thinking if I can use it for my main compositions. I don't record audio and mainly I use midi. I like a lot the piano roll in FL Studio, so I will see how far I can go with it. But at the same time,
In case you do decide to try it out, give it some time as at first as it might seem counter intuitive, especially the shortcuts. For example, everything felt natural in ableton while in fl studio all the mouse/keyboard shortcuts just felt different then what I'm used to in general. Also the way you organize tracks/channels, what I've found works best for me is to have only one track per channel (in channel rack). Then just paste it in on playlist and don't worry about renaming and coloring - you could try to rename and color everything in mixer, channel rack and playlist but in my opinion that's waste of time an energy. You will know exactly where everything is since you're the one who made the track. I was confused by all this at first, but it's actually an advantage. When you paste a pattern to playlist, feel free to cut it, move it, edit it, copy-paste it - and basically play like a kid, that's how it works in fl studio.
"only one track per channel (in channel rack)." I've put those channels to a common pattern/track which ones I'd like to able to solo later, so kick, sub, bass(with multiple layers, if I want to hear a bass layer only it still can be soloed on channel rack level), different atmosFXes etc. are go to different patterns/tracks (check the pic) but what I really want to say is worth to create groups in both playlist/mixer to able to solo/mute the corresponding tracks/mixer inserts together (ctrl+alt+click,alt+click)

colors are matter of taste, I like them because they are look nice especially with the AdobeBlack skin
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: "only one track per channel (in channel rack)." I've put those channels to a common pattern/track which ones I'd like to able to solo later, so kick, sub, bass(with multiple layers, if I want to hear a bass layer only it still can be soloed on channel rack level), different atmosFXes etc. are go to different patterns/tracks (check the pic) but what I really want to say is worth to create groups in both playlist/mixer to able to solo/mute the corresponding tracks/mixer inserts together (ctrl+alt+click,alt+click)
To each his own, I do see your point however in soloing/muting. I think what's so great about FL Studio is that you have complete freedom to decide what's your workflow gonna be like. For me personally, I've found that skipping all the coloring/renaming/grouping gave me more room to get ideas straight into playlist as fast as I can. I find colors somehow distracting, as I know exactly where everything is without them. I do use groups later on in mixing stages in both playlist and mixer. There's no one way of doing things in fl studio, that's for sure :)

depends on your genre, in trance for ex. u can create a fix starter template with all the colors and routing and bells and whistles and it needs to be created only once ( https://www.myloops.net/product/adam-el ... g-template )
Last edited by xbitz on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Same boat, thinking of getting a console 1 and moving push and live into the messing about corner.
alexfalcao wrote:Switching From Ableton Live 9 (Suite) that I used since Live 4 to Cubase 9.5 Pro, I may keep Ableton Live but Cubase is becoming my main DAW. I'm really happy with Cubase.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”