Kontakt 5 owners: is RETRO MACHINES MK II worth the drive space?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently picked up Kontakt 5 through a cheap crossgrade. I was just notified that it comes with RETRO MACHINES MK2, but I'm not sure if this is something I really need at almost 4 GB of space.

I already own a fair selection of virtual analog stuff (Reveal Sound Spire, everything that comes with Roland Cloud, various Moog knockoffs, Korg, etc). Since RETRO MACHINES MK2 are essentially romplers, should I even bother? :?:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like 'em. They're professionally produced. Nobody can tell you what you like (unless they're holding your family hostage).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Vortifex wrote:Not in my opinion, especially considering what you already have. I installed it, had a play around, and decided it wasn't worth keeping.
+1

I was thinking of deleting it - it's pretty boring

Yes, get creative. use FX, tweak settings.

nice little bread and butter set.

There are some nice sounds and a convenient interface, but I find it hard to justify using up precious SSD space on synth sounds, given the high quality of actual soft synths in the past few years. I've got stuff from the likes of Tronsonic, Synth Magic, and Hideaway Studio squirreled away on my backup drive, but anymore, I'll reach for a synth plugin instead, and leave room for acoustic/orchestral sample libraries on my SSD. Processor cycles are in relative abundance compared to drive space on my end.

The patch morphing is kinda cool from a performance standpoint, however, and if you link it to an expression pedal, you can get some rather expressive sounds.

I uninstalled it.
Don't miss it at all.

You can keep it if you like. On the other hand the Kontakt Factory library rather should be deleted.
Retro Machines MK2 is better than the crapy synths in the factory library,
BUT Soniccouture's Attic has better synth sounds...

Non SSD HD space is pretty inexpensive right now, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. Not liking the library or wanting to reduce choices I understand, and in that case would remove, but not for HD space.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

It's a well produced library. Bread and butter stuff, but it can be useful.

I think I moved it to my external hd because I'm not much into samples (I have this library because of Maschine) and I don't want to waste space for stuffs that I don't use, but it's a good library for those moments when you need those sounds.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

It's very well-produced, the patches sit well in the mix (try Innocent Lead and its variations, it cuts right through), they are relatively flexible. I already have Diva, RePro, Vintage Vault, etc., but there are a few synths in here I don't have another avenue for, like the ARP Quadra (which wasn't that flexible to begin with) and Rhodes Chroma.

3.5gb is nothing in the grand scheme of things compared to good Kontakt instruments, but I don't know how much hard drive space you have. If you're planning on more Kontakt libraries, and this is a problem, start planning for expansion. If you're thinking of cinematic and orchestral I suggest a minimum of 1tb.

However, you can move the entire "Retro Machines MK2" folder to less-valuable storage (e.g., removable drive) and put it back when you need it. Kontakt will complain that it's missing in the "Library" tab but just ignore it. I do this with much larger libraries depending on what kind of projects I'm currently working on.

Nah.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

It's a waste of space - like all sampled synth libraries :wink:
funky lime wrote: I'll reach for a synth plugin instead, and leave room for acoustic/orchestral sample libraries on my SSD
:tu:

I mainly use samples for drums,percussion and orchestral libraries...

Sampled synths sound static - aka dead boring - compared to having the oscillators running live in real time...

Sampled synths are about as tweakable as a Norwegian blue parrot with rigor mortis...

But selling sample libraries is BIG business so the myth prevails :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

Pretty funny thread but it shows these are people who maybe just don't like NI, Kontakt sounds really good, tweaks well and layers incredible well.
Retro has that just right sound for many situations and is also a good building block.

Four gigs is so minimal I can't even see people worry about that and if it's because you have a small SSD then it means you couldn't afford a SSD.
In other words the speed means nothing if you can't afford to get one that's large enough for the task you require.

Still I would take Kontakt (preferably Komplete) over a lot of what's out there especially Roland Cloud or should I say once a week cloud.
Analog vs Digital vs Analog vs Digital vs.......................

Return to “Instruments”