''Something Fishy'' - generative ambient piece made with Cracklefield and Riff Generation

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I was just testing out Cracklefield and InSessionAudio's Riff Generation for 20 minutes and seeing how they might work together.
I came up with this piece using one instance of each instrument. I've added Cinematique Instruments' Geiger Counter for some background percussion, as well as Audio Damage's Automaton, Replicant and DubStation2 for variation.

It won't be the most coherent or polished piece of music you'll hear today 'cos I made it in 20 minutes, but it's at least true to generative music and it also sounds like some sort of life you'd find beneath the waves!

https://soundcloud.com/user-434633776/something-fishy

Cheers.

Uncanny. I've got Attenborough's Blue Planet II on the TV and I just started this up. It's a great accompaniment to all of the underwater shenanigans. Dolphins, bream and bobbit worms go about their sub-aquatic business, whilst the meandering progress of the music worked really well with the stunning footage.

Good work :)

Hi seismic1,

Thank you, that's really kind of you :)
I listen to many of your songs here at KVR and you're easily one of my favourite Music Cafe producers (along with Frantz, Donkey Tugger and the sadly apparently now missing Remco and Polyslax).

Tbh, when the second bassier (Riff Generation) voice comes in, the first (almost shamisen-like Cracklefield) voice goes a bit hyper and my mix sounds unfocused at that early stage with this track. Such is the way with letting machines generate things themselves, and at least it seems to settle down a tad after a few bars again.
But then maybe some smaller, lighter fish would go a bit hyper if a bigger bassier fish came plodding along?
I might be over-thinking all this :hihi:

Many thanks again for your very nice feedback. And Blue Planet II is amazing!

:phones:

very nice!
I think this track is prime material for further sonic explorations: cutting and chopping to find interesting loops. Experimenting with huge multi-tap delays and diffusers could create a rich tapestry behind the main sound. Also, using some FSU plugins like maybe Sugar Bytes Egoist would produce more sonic goodnes that could be synced to tempo and layered with some beats.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Hi Himalaya,

Many thanks for the nice comments and the excellent ideas to take this track forward. Some really great suggestions there, and I've got a few plugins which would certainly come in handy for doing that - I'll give it a go :)

Also, if you or anyone else wants to take this track for themselves and use it as a base for further sonic experimentation, then by all means you're welcome to it.
In fairness, it's really my computer ''Badger 3000'' who generated the melodies and sounds, rather than me.
Happily, ''Badger 3000'' is pretty laidback when it comes to sampling and copyright issues :hihi:

dark water wrote:Hi seismic1,

Thank you, that's really kind of you :)
I listen to many of your songs here at KVR and you're easily one of my favourite Music Cafe producers (along with Frantz, Donkey Tugger and the sadly apparently now missing Remco and Polyslax).
Wow. Esteemed company indeed :o

FYI,

Remco is still making music. In fact he put up a new track 1 hour ago. Just type youreallfree into the SoundCloud search window.

Polyslax is also still active on Soundcloud - mainly guitar-based music at the moment, under the polyslax artist name.

^^ excellent, thanks for the heads up on Remco and Polyslax :)

Return to “Music Cafe”