I'm looking for a special kind of smart arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe you can help me.

My DAW Studio One has an arp unit built in as one of its Note FX. Most daws have similar.

So it's very easy to make an arp to drive a synth.

But there are 2 things it cannot do, which I'm looking for.

1: I can programme in my own arp patterns

2: I can tell it which key I'm in so it will adjust the notes automatically when I change chord.

eg if I'm in A minor, then the third will be a flattened third

But if I move up to C major, the related major, I need the arp to know this and play a major 3rd instead, and not a flattened 3rd.

ie, I need an arp that's smart, key/scale sensitive.

Having an arp like the above would be a massive timesaver, as writing arps manually in my midi editor is so slow.

Can you recommend a product please?

thanx = kevvvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

BlueArp should do most of that

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/bluearp ... lf/details

from the manual
You can either set a fixed root for a scale you want to fit notes in,
or detect it dynamically from the chord you play. BlueARP
recognizes chord inversions, so if you have selected "detect from
chord" and pressed (E4, A4, C5 - Am inverted), your root key will
be A.
Last edited by ere2learn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue arp as mentioned above or if you want to spend some money grab xfer record chutulu
or if you want some powerhorse arp and want to buy a synth as well
i think mpowersynth has the most awesome arp which can rival xfer easily
warning:mpowersynth is sometime a cpu hog with complex patch (the arp is not a cpu hog btw) and the gui might set you off if you dont read the manual or watch tutorial
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Please note with Blue Arp that settings are not saved. So when you reopen your project everything will be reset to default. Unless this has been "fixed" or "changed" it is something you need to be aware of. So you might want to render your track to audio immediately before closing your project.

ere2learn

Thanks for the headsup.

Listened to all the demos, and it certainly sounds interesting.

Off to download Blue Arp and have a go :D

btw I found some free skins for it http://www.satyatunes.com/web/free-stuff.php :tu:

cheers mate
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

wag
thanks for this
kevvvvv

Apratim
Thanks also, but daren't get another synth :clown: :hihi:

Here's one more that I think could qualify for what you'r looking for.
https://squaredheads.com

nordickvr

I've seen Nora before.

It "writes" the tune or the harmony for me. But I don't have a problem coming up with tunes. It's the bit I enjoy.

I was more looking for a labour-saving device when writing arps, so I don't spend forever fiddling in my midi editor plotting out every single note, and then having to change the third (or whatever) every time I copy & paste to the next bar and change chord.

I like midi editing/writing, but not that much :lol:

But I appreciate the help all the same :)

As an aside, Midi Madness 3 (out today) looks interesting the way it randomises controller data. Not sure if I want it right now, but maybe it'll be fun one day.

I see.

Here's something that could be of some interest to you?
Sort of a hack to eventually do what's you'r looking for?

https://www.autotonic.net

kevvvvv wrote:nordickvr

I've seen Nora before.

It "writes" the tune or the harmony for me. But I don't have a problem coming up with tunes. It's the bit I enjoy.

I was more looking for a labour-saving device when writing arps, so I don't spend forever fiddling in my midi editor plotting out every single note, and then having to change the third (or whatever) every time I copy & paste to the next bar and change chord.

I like midi editing/writing, but not that much :lol:

But I appreciate the help all the same :)

As an aside, Midi Madness 3 (out today) looks interesting the way it randomises controller data. Not sure if I want it right now, but maybe it'll be fun one day.
Here's what I normally do to handle stuff like this so that I don't drive myself crazy.

1) Map out the whole song first. This way I know what's gotta go where.

2) Calculate how many different ARPs I need to pull off what I want. Usually it's no more than 2 or 3.

3) Find the synth sound I want. Hope that the synth itself has a built in ARP. This makes things a lot simpler. If not, I use Reaktor VSS. The thing is ridiculously powerful but stupidly complex too.

4) Copy the ARP track to as many different tracks as I need. Again, usually no more than 3 total.

5) Edit the individual notes that need to be edited on the additional tracks.

If the ARP pattern I want is really just way too complicated then I just open up the piano roll and compose away. Even doing it that way there are going to be parts that repeat so I can still do a lot of copy and pasting of similar parts.

Having said all that, I try to avoid songs with those "problems" and do relatively very little ARP stuff that is beyond just create and play. Most of the stuff I do is real time playing.

Nora actually sounds like what you are asking for, it isn't hard, you can define your own patterns, I never use the presets. I think there may even be a free version still in some mag ware.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

After trying Blue Arp and Nora, I ended up going with Kameleono. Especially with Bitwig I find its workflow superior to either of the above, although Nora's pattern randomization feature is nice. And I haven't event tried the chord & scale features added in the last couple of versions of Kameleono.

I hadn't heard of Kameleono, I'll have to check it out.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Check sugar bytes thesys if no one has recommended it yet.

_pix_

Can I ask you a Thesys question?

Say I set the key to A minor, then triggered a root riff in Am

If I transpose the riff to up to C, will it know to adjust the sequence to C major, or will it duplicate the root chord and play C minor?

ie, will or won't it automatically shift the flattened third to a major third when I hit C.

Your help on this appreciated.

kevvvvv

Return to “Instruments”