why does fruity have piano roll pitch bend notes and logic does not

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i know you can draw in the automation or use portamento/glide in the synth but this is a major bugbear.

anyone agree or know a workaround?

It's in the Hyper Draw area.
the workaround to having only one lane/one channel displayed is...
well, see this:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... hp?t=87709
I think it's not considered 'automation' so it isn't revealed in the Automation Events List but is in the MIDI Events list.

does no one else find hyper draw fiddly?

the scales just boggle my mind. i mean its +64 -128 shit. and then you have to copy and paste or redraw it if you want to do a long phrase? wtf

The function in FL is only for native FL generators (assuming you mean what I think you mean).

sjm wrote:The function in FL is only for native FL generators (assuming you mean what I think you mean).
oh

been a while since i used that. it's because it's not a 'midi function'?

i don't understand that as piano roll notes are midi?

tracky wrote:does no one else find hyper draw fiddly?
Frankly, the paradigm and its result is why I never used Logic for MIDI writing. I'm accustomed to having all the control lanes in one instance of Key Editor in Cubase.

tracky wrote:
sjm wrote:The function in FL is only for native FL generators (assuming you mean what I think you mean).
oh

been a while since i used that. it's because it's not a 'midi function'?

i don't understand that as piano roll notes are midi?
That's quite a can of worms you've opened. Yes, FL Studio doesn't really do MIDI. The internal plugins all use gols' proprietary "much better than MIDI" solution. Which is kinda cool in that you can access these extra functions in the FL native format.

Unfortunately, it also means no proper MIDI support in FL Studio. Things like Sawer can't actually use the MIDI inputs in the modulation matrix in the FL Native version; you can choose to map the mod wheel to whatever you like, but you can't actually send the mod wheel to the plugin. "Much better than MIDI".

So some things like notes and velocity just work OOTB for both VSTs and FL native, because they're used by both. But heaven forbid you should want to set up sending CC 64 to a piano VST. It's possible, but a trainwreck of an implementation. But I digress.

tracky wrote:does no one else find hyper draw fiddly?

the scales just boggle my mind. i mean its +64 -128 shit. and then you have to copy and paste or redraw it if you want to do a long phrase? wtf
Yes. But more like I find it buggy. Same for the piano roll when using the CC editing view.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

sjm wrote:
That's quite a can of worms you've opened. Yes, FL Studio doesn't really do MIDI. The internal plugins all use gols' proprietary "much better than MIDI" solution.
...but you can't actually send the mod wheel to the plugin. "Much better than MIDI".
Sounds like there have been quite a few design decisions like that in FL. I've encountered several programmers in my day (as a beta tester for BeOS software) who didn't have an understanding of how things were done in the product category they were working in, and therefore did things their own "special" way (reinventing the wheel), with some pluses and a lot of complicated minuses as a result. I especially saw this with a tracker program and a photoshop wannabe program. Neither developer understood the standard GUI or tool usage conventions of the product category they were developing in (or at all, in some cases; the tracker developer didn't even understand the reason for using mouse_up events as triggers for clicking on things).

The problem with some very smart people is that they don't believe that any existing ideas are smart enough for them to follow along...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

But when I wanted to assign Mod Wheel to other function and remove default function in Live, and ended up to find I couldn't, I feel so limited.

Jace-BeOS wrote:Sounds like there have been quite a few design decisions like that in FL. I've encountered several programmers in my day (as a beta tester for BeOS software) who didn't have an understanding of how things were done in the product category they were working in, and therefore did things their own "special" way (reinventing the wheel), with some pluses and a lot of complicated minuses as a result. I especially saw this with a tracker program and a photoshop wannabe program. Neither developer understood the standard GUI or tool usage conventions of the product category they were developing in (or at all, in some cases; the tracker developer didn't even understand the reason for using mouse_up events as triggers for clicking on things).

The problem with some very smart people is that they don't believe that any existing ideas are smart enough for them to follow along...
Yes, hubris is a big problem with some parts of FL Studio (e.g. time signatures is another that springs to mind). As you say, much poor software design stems from devs not taking time to understand the problem domain. I'm still a big fan of some of gol's work, and FL is still my preferred host. When gol is on form he's a very good designer. But he made so many simple mistakes because he thought he knew better.

I am very grateful that IL are trying to rectify some of the worst design decisions. I also understand that they are very deep in the code and not easy to change. The whole data behind MIDI/automation/notes is at the heart of what a DAW does, so I appreciate that gutting and fixing it isn't an overnight task.

I long for the day when I can right-click on a VST with its own MIDI learn (e.g. Kontakt) and just use that function without jumping through unnecessary hoops. I would like to use Automap. I would like to download templates for my controller HW that makes use of the CC mappings already present in many VSTs. Heck, I'd like my sustain pedal to work as a sustain pedal, not just make notes longer. I don't want to have to map CCs to themselves to use them with VSTs. It's got to be obvious that that makes no sense.

(In case the phrase "mapping CCs to themselves" makes no sense to you, which I can understand, this is because to send CC 38 to a VST from my controller, I need to browse the VSTs parameters, find CC 38, select link to controller, and then wiggle the knob assigned to CC 38 on my controller. That is a classic example of terrible design. Why not just send CC 38 to the VST in the first place?)

Whether the ability to do massive note bends easily in the piano roll on a select number of synths outweighs the disadvantages is something everybody needs to decide for themselves.

this is what we know
MIDI scripting is in development.
You will be able to use Python to script controllers. More later.
Regards Scott

Does this mean full SysEx support?
Scott wrote:Yes

Speaking of MIDI, what about more advanced features such as:
- Data filtering/remapping (handy for making MIDI clock stop/start manually via note on/note offs)
- Virtual MIDI sockets and routing

Those are long term plans.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

sjm wrote:e.g. time signatures is another that springs to mind
Well let us know how to improve workflow, because they are working well AFAIKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM9TAOebZMs

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

I know you want to promote the new release, but this has no bearing on past implementations and the hubris of which I spoke. You are as aware as I am that 12.9 is not gols' handiwork.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”