It's That Black Friday Time Again - What Do You Want?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I seriously think I must have fallen on my head as a small child. I just downloaded Repro 5 and sad to say it is yet another U-he synth that I completely fail to see the magic that is no doubt about to be eulogised here (same with Omnisphere 2). I'm not being facetious here, I seriously wonder at my hearing, how I just don't get it for so many highly acclaimed synths.

And don't get me started on Eurorack...every day...I paid that much for this???

:help:

jacqueslacouth wrote:I seriously think I must have fallen on my head as a small child. I just downloaded Repro 5 and sad to say it is yet another U-he synth that I completely fail to see the magic that is no doubt about to be eulogised here (same with Omnisphere 2). I'm not being facetious here, I seriously wonder at my hearing, how I just don't get it for so many highly acclaimed synths.

I am sure it is an authentic emulation of the original, but it makes me wonder if I would have liked the Prophet to begin with. Assuming that the Repro nails the Prophet sound, I would have had limited use for it.

Add to that Repro's abysmal CPU efficiency and poor GUI, I will delete the demo version. But not after recreating the few good presets on Sylenth1. Just did that with the basic bass 1 patch, can you tell which is which?
https://app.box.com/s/ezr9mles2o7fqedoy00czdnmlujk8m5e
What I can tell you is that the Repro CPU load was 6 times higher, which the sound just doesn't justify.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just did that with the basic bass 1 patch, can you tell which is which?
What I can tell you is that the Repro CPU load was 6 times higher, which the sound just doesn't justify.
Straight up...nope! I don't have the subtleties of hearing (and admittedly certainly not the expertise in synthesis) to pick which one is which, and I'm pretty sure not many , if any could pick it in any kind of mix. As you say, the sound difference is not justified for the CPU tax.

I think Repro has a slightly tighter low end out of the box, but then again, I could easily fix that by turning on Sylenth1's equalizer.

I suppose my hearing is not that good anymore, either. Maybe I would hear more of a difference if I were 20 again. Then again, I am not, nor are the people I want to make music for, i.e. people 40+ :hihi:

I would be more interested in Ana 2.

jacqueslacouth wrote:Wasn't really on the radar...but do I really NEED it?
No. You just went through a big-gear-sale-drama. Stay Strong!
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I don't know which is which but the first one sounds a lot better to me.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:I seriously think I must have fallen on my head as a small child. I just downloaded Repro 5 and sad to say it is yet another U-he synth that I completely fail to see the magic that is no doubt about to be eulogised here (same with Omnisphere 2). I'm not being facetious here, I seriously wonder at my hearing, how I just don't get it for so many highly acclaimed synths.

I am sure it is an authentic emulation of the original, but it makes me wonder if I would have liked the Prophet to begin with. Assuming that the Repro nails the Prophet sound, I would have had limited use for it.

Add to that Repro's abysmal CPU efficiency and poor GUI, I will delete the demo version. But not after recreating the few good presets on Sylenth1. Just did that with the basic bass 1 patch, can you tell which is which?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

fluffy_little_something wrote:I hope you noticed that the Repro init patch is not as simple as with other synths, it is two oscillators :wink:
If you turn one of them to zero, it sounds just like any other init patch...
Well, there is no rule for setting the init preset, why it should be the boring saw? Actually, in the case of Repro-5, it makes sense to have this specific pad as init as this is what people want from this synth in the first place, great pads! And no! Your Sylenth1 can't come close to Repro-5 :P

The Legend.

jsp1979 wrote:
pekbro wrote:Ha! Black friday sale @ accusonnus, no deals on upgrades or (non bundle) regroover pro...

Weak... :zzz:
I've got Regroover essentials and there is an upgrade offer to Regroover Pro for $59 in my account.

You have to log-in and click on "My Offers"
I was logged in, they changed that... Today.

Whatever, I'm happy now :phones:

I want Falcon for $1 - It will happen....I know it will...I deserve it! :lol: :tu:

ATS wrote:I don't know which is which but the first one sounds a lot better to me.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am sure it is an authentic emulation of the original, but it makes me wonder if I would have liked the Prophet to begin with. Assuming that the Repro nails the Prophet sound, I would have had limited use for it.

Actually, the first one was Sylenth1 :)

Any news/rumours about "real" (> the recurring 25 %) sales from the "new big ones":

- Rapid

- Avenger

- Lethal audio

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Of course I would take Falcon or Omnisphere for a few euros too :lol:

EnGee wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I hope you noticed that the Repro init patch is not as simple as with other synths, it is two oscillators :wink:
If you turn one of them to zero, it sounds just like any other init patch...
Well, there is no rule for setting the init preset, why it should be the boring saw? Actually, in the case of Repro-5, it makes sense to have this specific pad as init as this is what people want from this synth in the first place, great pads! And no! Your Sylenth1 can't come close to Repro-5 :P
Why "my Sylenth1"? I think you said you have it, too ;) Nor is it about Sylenth1, it goes for any quality subtractive synth vs Repro. Sylenth1 and others do get close to the Repro sound if that is what one intends.

While there is no law for init patches, you seemed impressed by the init patch, as if it sounded better than other synths' init patches. But it's comparing apples with oranges and hence a bit unfair as most init patches only use one saw, which seems a kind of standard in the synth scene.
I made this Sylenth1 init patch which pretty much matches the Repro one, also using two saws:
https://app.box.com/s/848gvndeq1ky7lrm9oyaxdqfhrbtjav4

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Synthmaster, Arturia and others in now for the week.
I would probably pick up the Arturia 5 Collection but I'm planning on getting the Linnstrument next year and they have no plans to support MPE. I'll check out demos later, but it's difficult to justify spending almost $400 Canadian for it at this point.

Return to “Instruments”