DMGAudio TrackComp 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote:I was experimenting with large amount of RMS size 200-300, heavy gain reduction like more than 20dB and auto make-up gain and on tweaking some parmeters (the knee IIRC) had very loud sound burst which triggered Reaper's auto-mute option and (not sure how loud the peak was but I have set Reaper to auto-mute tracks that go above +12 dBfs)
Maybe the plugin should have a built in limiter until these issues are sorted...

Someone had requested here or at gearslutz (don't really remember now) a HP filter on the 76D... I couldn't agree more! :D IMO, no compressor release today should be without dry/wet mix and HP filter on the sidechain

.. and I guess that especially the 1176 will benefit from one cause the lows always seem to trigger more aggressively. And, when used as a distortion/shaper box, it will be a very welcomed addition as well! :tu:

3ee wrote:Someone had requested here or at gearslutz (don't really remember now) a HP filter on the 76D... I couldn't agree more! :D IMO, no compressor release today should be without dry/wet mix and HP filter on the sidechain

.. and I guess that especially the 1176 will benefit from one cause the lows always seem to trigger more aggressively. And, when used as a distortion/shaper box, it will be a very welcomed addition as well! :tu:
Totally agree, HP is a must on 1176, still not purchased because of that.

Hardly a must as the hardware doesn't have it. I think there was a good reason why an SC HPF was omitted, but can't remember right now what it was. Will post here again if I can dig up that info :)
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

djscorb wrote:Hardly a must as the hardware doesn't have it. I think there was a good reason why an SC HPF was omitted, but can't remember right now what it was. Will post here again if I can dig up that info :)
Because it's a feedback design. Adding in a HPF would break it completely.

Dave.

Edit: Some googling shows up that people have wired in a first-order HPF in the feedback path right after the preamp output cap. Has anyone actually done this? Is the unit still usable with this mod switched in? I suspect it changes the sound completely; phase smearing in a feedback loop is a horrible idea!
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

DaveGamble wrote:
djscorb wrote:Hardly a must as the hardware doesn't have it. I think there was a good reason why an SC HPF was omitted, but can't remember right now what it was. Will post here again if I can dig up that info :)
Because it's a feedback design. Adding in a HPF would break it completely.

Dave.

Edit: Some googling shows up that people have wired in a first-order HPF in the feedback path right after the preamp output cap. Has anyone actually done this? Is the unit still usable with this mod switched in? I suspect it changes the sound completely; phase smearing in a feedback loop is a horrible idea!
I have not done this, but I've used a unit that was modded with a switchable HP sidechain. I was not told the specifics about how it was done.

It sounded awesome on roomy drum sounds, and awful on anything else I tried. Totally worth it though.

3ee wrote: Totally agree, HP is a must on 1176, still not purchased because of that.
Hard to be Dave Gamble. You use spice to produce a plugin just like the hardware and people instantly start insisting on features not in the hardware

momalle3 wrote:
3ee wrote: Totally agree, HP is a must on 1176, still not purchased because of that.
Hard to be Dave Gamble. You use spice to produce a plugin just like the hardware and people instantly start insisting on features not in the hardware
Except he's explicitly said that he was interested in expanding on the capabilities of the original hardware because limiting users to only those constraints is no fun :wink:

There's lots of features in there already that aren't part of the original hardware.

Edit: removed

Robert Randolph wrote:
momalle3 wrote:
Except he's explicitly said that he was interested in expanding on the capabilities of the original hardware because limiting users to only those constraints is no fun :wink:

There's lots of features in there already that aren't part of the original hardware.
Exactly

I wonder if maybe all you want is a shortcut method for:
- Route signal to bus, HPF the signal, route as sidechain into TrackComp

Rather than:
- Do EE research project to work out how one could insert a HPF into a 76RevD and still have it work, and not sound bad all day.

Because the first one is fairly painless. :D

Dave.

Robert Randolph wrote:Except he's explicitly said that he was interested in expanding on the capabilities of the original hardware because limiting users to only those constraints is no fun :wink:
Alas, of course, you're beholden here to what I find fun ;)
You can always try and motivate me with examples of magnificent production! :D

Dave.

I feel like the loudness/burst issues are a lot higher priority than new features. Unless the feature is auto-muting itself when a peak exceeds a certain level.

Hmm, interesting... didn't thought phase smearing was so important for compressor detectors but now I imagine it is very important, especially for very fast attack times! :)

I can live without one for the 76D but trying my luck again :D

Instead of a HPF, how about a very gentle low shelf fixed to 10-20Hz and the control will do amplitude, being a gentle Q means that, once adjusting the amplitude, it will also go up in freq as a direct side-effect. The result will be very minimal phase difference that is proportional with the value... so that's basically 0 if the value is set to 0

momalle3 wrote:
Other models in trackcomp have dry/wet mix and sidechain filtering that are extremely welcomed! I didn't ask for anything 'exotic' ..anyway, didn't realize implementing a HPF in an 1176 design would be that troublesome :ud:

Return to “Effects”