Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xamido wrote:I saw the sign when they went with the annual license. Bitwig next.
Not Comparable. Bitwig is a standalone entity, Cakewalk was not, they were owned and controlled by Gibson.

As for the news...wow. That's all I can say. Stunning decision. I worry about these things happening with these DAWS run by Big Corporations and parent companies (Like Logic and Cubase) because of things like this...
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

woodsdenis wrote:They did this to Opcode Studio Vision too
Your right that was Gibson...Forgot about that. Wayyyy before my time but I watched videos of it, looks like it was a pretty fun Daw with a bright future. Shame...

So hmm, I heard that Cubase just got one of its best updates ever. Nothing to do with this news of course, just something that came to mind.

... ceasing active development and production of Cakewalk branded products.
I thought they had ceased active development of all my purchases years ago.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Exactly and only an idiot would align themselves with gibson unless they had zero other choices and I mean Zero.
rsp
sound sculptist

Spencer Maddox wrote: Not Comparable. Bitwig is a standalone entity, Cakewalk was not, they were owned and controlled by Gibson.
It's comparable for me. Switching to subscription model basically confirm that the traditional model didn't make enough money for them.
musisikamar.com

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Your right that was Gibson...Forgot about that. Wayyyy before my time but I watched videos of it, looks like it was a pretty fun Daw with a bright future. Shame...
I will never. I was a Vision/Studio Vision Pro user.... tried to keep using it for 3 years even after and eventually went to Cubendo.
To this day I wouldn't even buy a branded Gibson guitar pick much less a Gibson guitar.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

rsp
sound sculptist

xamido wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote: Not Comparable. Bitwig is a standalone entity, Cakewalk was not, they were owned and controlled by Gibson.
It's comparable for me. Switching to subscription model basically confirm that the traditional model didn't make enough money for them.
By definition a subscription business model is a business model where a customer must pay a subscription price to have access to a product or service.

Bitwig is not subscription, you buy it and you can use it forever, no additional payments required ever unless you want to pay to update.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Maybe software is just not worth it. Gibson also bought Onkyo, Teac and Philips, all of which hardware companies.
Maybe Roland can buy it back...

zvenx wrote:
Spencer Maddox wrote:
I will never. I was a Vision/Studio Vision Pro user.... tried to keep using it for 3 years even after and eventually went to Cubendo.
To this day I wouldn't even buy a branded Gibson guitar pick much less a Gibson guitar.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

rsp
Agreed. Can't blame you either. I haven't been affected by either of these moves personally but I Know if someone bought the companies that make the daws i primarily use (Ableton, Reaper and Bitwig), and then just dropped them causing me to have to change everything.. well, I would hold a LOT of Animosity in the direction of that parent Corporation.

Rather than blaming the subscriptiom model this seems to confirm that in the corporate group think that the future is not desktop software as a viable investment platform in my opinion. The decline in sales warrants a decision in that direction.

Pretty soon other (Corporate)developers will likely come to the same conclusion. If they do, don't worry until the OS updates, your DAW will still work in it's current form(plus what ever niggles and unfixed bugs). Best to carry on and if need be learn another DAW.

I thought Traktion was dead but look what they did... Maybe Sonar might follow that and go back to the original. Development team and dash the corporate group think. :?

I guess this was rather telling...

http://blog.cakewalk.com/open-letter-ki ... -momentum/
We even have a Momentum plug-in that sits inside Pro Tools, Logic, Live (or any Mac/PC DAW),
No mention of Cakewalk's own DAW?

Reminds me of a famous Beatle song:

" Project 5... Project 5... Project 5.... etc"

Come on, everybody knows that lifetime means product lifetime, not user lifetime.

Cakewalk sucked.

Other DAWs will fall - as they should, because there are too many.

This is disappointing news to say the least. I own Sonar Platinum with "lifetime" updates. I have spent two years with this software and it does everything that I need it to so I will just keep using it until that situation changes. I also have Live 9.7.5 with no intention of upgrading to 10. This is just a hobby for me so I guess I will just stick with what I have until I can't use it anymore.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”