Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gee for all those years I was alone in the trenches here against Gibson :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

There was simply no place for Sonar on the DAW market. Basically if you want powerful MIDI tools you get Cubase, if you primarily work with audio then you get Reaper. If you need a jack of all trades, Cubase does that much better than Sonar. For electronic music you get Ableton Live...

And that's on Windows. On Mac they would also have to compete with Logic, and deal with the fact that 99% of their potential Mac users already have very powerful DAWs.
Last edited by Romantique Tp on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lingyai saw it coming last year in April:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=460660

Jim Roseberry wrote:
Personally, I feel bad for the staff and their families...
Yep :(
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

ghettosynth wrote:I'm going to be that guy. IMNSHO, the safest DAW to have around is Reaper. I would imagine that if Frankel decided to jump ship that it would go open source, and even if it didn't, it's pure serial and has consistently been the most reliable DAW for me by a very wide margin.
+1
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hink wrote:gee for all those years I was alone in the trenches here against Gibson :hihi:
You were never alone. Search my posts, namely when it was announced they bought Cakewalk.

I never forgave them for Opcode. Now we have Cakewalk to sum to the port-folio. I sincerely hope they go bankrupt soon enough. They have been like a cancer to the industry since the 80s

I feel sorry for the many families which will loose this source of income, though :(
Fernando (FMR)

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio... Too bad. RIP Sonar :hug:

So is the Marketplace going to get flooded with copies of Sonar now?

Oh yeah.... :dog:

aMUSEd wrote:So is the Marketplace going to get flooded with copies of Sonar now?

As far as the eula is concerned it isn't transferable. Besides it's abandonware at the moment..

CTStump wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:So is the Marketplace going to get flooded with copies of Sonar now?

As far as the eula is concerned it isn't transferable. Besides it's abandonware at the moment..
Hence the 'Oh yeah.... :dog:'

aMUSEd wrote:
CTStump wrote:

Hence the 'Oh yeah.... :dog:'
:dog: sorry for your clarification.

Then again many will say 'stuff the eula'

but then it's probably not resellable now anyway sadly

it's abandonware that works pretty good for a home guy .. still the best integration of Melodyne going. Just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it just stops working. The eula aside, there isn't much stopping folks transfering ownership.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

fmr wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I'm going to be that guy. IMNSHO, the safest DAW to have around is Reaper. I would imagine that if Frankel decided to jump ship that it would go open source, and even if it didn't, it's pure serial and has consistently been the most reliable DAW for me by a very wide margin.
That I agree with you. I would just add another one: Cubase

Just because Yamaha isn't afraid of losing money (they didn't up to now, and they did lost serious money in several projects) and because Cubase has been consistently improved. Defintely, Yamaha is a good parent company (has been consistently, they also saved Korg once). Even when they bought SCI, they put the investment to good use.

Logic too, following the same Logic (Apple is not using it to make money, at least directly - they use it as an ad to seel computers). However, Apple is more into mobile these days, so that can change.

Ableton bought Cycling'74 a little while ago, so, they should not be suffocation (at least right now). Therefore, Live seems to not be in danger, for the moment. But we never know.

Digital Performer is a long case of an application that, although having fall in almost oblivion, and definitely not selling by the thousands, still is being supported and developed. Somehow, it seems like MOTU doesn't care to make money with it, either (or the small amount they make is enough for them).

And I'd say that's pretty much it.

OTOH, Gibson track is a consistent history of failing grief and abandon.
I would say DP doesn’t sell thousands, I think perspective is important, when Live 8 came out they announced they had sold over two million copies to unique buyers, I’m sure Cubase Logic and Pro Tools also got those marks. DP I’m sure sells thousands just not millions... I would also say that DP and Logic would be the easiest bets on long term DAWs, as Apple uses Logic for R&D on Garageband itunes etc. and to reinforce a ‘pro’ branding, and MOTU have produced DP without fail for 30+ years.

After several years away from music (and KvR), I started playing/writing again a couple of months ago. Among my first decisions was recognizing the need to move away from Sonar to a new DAW. It was painful because I had used Cakewalk since back in the DOS days.

I'm really sorry for the Cakewalk/Sonar team. :(
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”