The promise I will buy more gear-thread

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:Make Noise Pressure Points (x2) and Brains are on their way. Who needs MPE when you can mash your squishy flesh onto this? :hihi:

I was originally just going to try one PP to see how I liked it as a controller, but someone was selling all three for a good price.
nice! 8)

BF is almost here. Is it time for a 'I will buy more gear than you' challange?
No signature here!

Lost my mind last night and picked up a Hypersynth Xenophone. :hihi:

I'd been thinking about replacing my Bass Station Rack with a newer analog monosynth, and the price on Reverb.com was exactly what I was looking to spend. I'm calling it an early Christmas present. :party:

Oh... and I ordered all the parts from Mouser to build the five-voice drone from "Look Mum No Computer". But that was "cheap as chips" as the host likes to say.

RichieWitch wrote:Oh... and I ordered all the parts from Mouser to build the five-voice drone from "Look Mum No Computer". But that was "cheap as chips" as the host likes to say.
Not the 100-voice? Wuss.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
RichieWitch wrote:Oh... and I ordered all the parts from Mouser to build the five-voice drone from "Look Mum No Computer". But that was "cheap as chips" as the host likes to say.
Not the 100-voice? Wuss.
I know, right?! I'm such a loser... :D

RichieWitch wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Not the 100-voice? Wuss.
Can you link the schematic, I'd like to see exactly what he's doing, although, I have a pretty good idea.

ghettosynth wrote:
RichieWitch wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Not the 100-voice? Wuss.
Can you link the schematic, I'd like to see exactly what he's doing, although, I have a pretty good idea.
Scroll down a bit on this page.
https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/proje ... scillator/

I had most of the parts just lying around, except for the pots and an 18 V power supply.

i want a klein bottle :(

vurt wrote:i want a klein bottle :(
Wish granted! :lol:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZK99K ... WKEALw_wcB

RichieWitch wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
RichieWitch wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Not the 100-voice? Wuss.
Scroll down a bit on this page.
https://www.lookmumnocomputer.com/proje ... scillator/

I had most of the parts just lying around, except for the pots and an 18 V power supply.
Interesting. Avalanche based oscillators have fascinated me for some time. My first exposure to them was from a tunnel diode 80 meter CW transmitter from an old TAB books compendium of ham radio projects that I had in my youth.

I've not seen much use of them in audio circuits. This is about as simple as you can get and still have a functioning oscillator.

In any case, cute, but of limited musical utility. I can see the appeal though, you can build this ugly style on the back of the pot inside of a half an hour. Pair it up with a godawful RC one pole filter built ugly style on the back of a second pot for extra fun.

RichieWitch wrote:
vurt wrote:i want a klein bottle :(
Wish granted! :lol:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZK99K ... WKEALw_wcB
i think the pedal version is even cooler!

https://youtu.be/6xXUcbK6pwg

ghettosynth wrote:In any case, cute, but of limited musical utility. I can see the appeal though, you can build this ugly style on the back of the pot inside of a half an hour. Pair it up with a godawful RC one pole filter built ugly style on the back of a second pot for extra fun.
Agreed, but I liked the tones he was getting out of it in his YouTube video. I'm really thinking about what I could do with this if I route it through my Eurorack. I'm still considering adding an audio output on each of the five oscillators for more flexibility, but I've only got two leftovers in my parts box.

Decisions, decisions...

RichieWitch wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:In any case, cute, but of limited musical utility. I can see the appeal though, you can build this ugly style on the back of the pot inside of a half an hour. Pair it up with a godawful RC one pole filter built ugly style on the back of a second pot for extra fun.
Agreed, but I liked the tones he was getting out of it in his YouTube video. I'm really thinking about what I could do with this if I route it through my Eurorack. I'm still considering adding an audio output on each of the five oscillators for more flexibility, but I've only got two leftovers in my parts box.

Decisions, decisions...
Sonically, I don't think that they're much different from other relaxation style oscillators. Still, I can see the merit of having something like this in your rack. I have two Thomas Henry XR2206 based VCOs in my rack that are not particularly flexible, but that I love for drones. They just drift like nothing else does in this pleasing way. I haven't done any analysis as to why, I can just listen to them for longer than seems reasonable.

If I were going to put a bank of them in my rack I would give each one it's own output on a switched jack. If you use the switched output then it would disconnect the output from the sum. If you didn't then the switch would route the oscillator to the sum.

ghettosynth wrote:If I were going to put a bank of them in my rack I would give each one it's own output on a switched jack. If you use the switched output then it would disconnect the output from the sum. If you didn't then the switch would route the oscillator to the sum.
We're thinking in similar directions. I was considering normalized jacks, where each oscillator adds to the next unless a cable is plugged into the individual output.

Maybe even something where a cable plugged into the third output sums oscillators 1 thru 3, and 4/5 continue to sum at output 5, and so on.

Smells like spammer. Weird that the spammer's website logo looks like the TG 'lightning' logo.

Amusing because I bought a Tiptop TG One, because Cosey's book. Plus a 1010Music Bitbox, because Live-inna-modular-FTW. Both much much fun triggered from a Knit Rider.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”