Navatus(A symphonic, hyper-rhythmic adventure)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A very nearly finished WIP. The composition is done, but the end will fade into something else and some other spots need some mix doctoring/buffing/tweaking. This track is part of something one of my brothers and I are working on.

https://soundcloud.com/esgalachoir/navatus

cool track with interesting varied sounds and percussion, however theres some midrange sounds that are mixed too
loud. they stick out like a sore thumb.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:cool track with interesting varied sounds and percussion, however theres some midrange sounds that are mixed too
loud. they stick out like a sore thumb.
I'm glad that you found the track interesting. Would you be willing to extend your criticism by telling me where exactly some of those sore thumbs are? :oops:

- Corin

Very well done. I really enjoyed the elements that modulate between rhythmic and melodic. Thanks for sharing.

5:08, 6:46, 6:52
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:5:08, 6:46, 6:52
Got it. Thank you for the helpful ears.
Genetic_Junk wrote:Very well done. I really enjoyed the elements that modulate between rhythmic and melodic. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it and you're welcome!

It sounds like this is building towards epicness. You may want to add that to the Soundcloud tags. Good to hear some melodic electronica based on a time signature slightly off the beaten track.

Good work :)

Pretty much the same idea through out but lots of variations and side trips kept it quite interesting. The crazy pace reminded me of Flight Of The Bumble Bee.

Nice job on this!

seismic1 wrote:It sounds like this is building towards epicness. You may want to add that to the Soundcloud tags. Good to hear some melodic electronica based on a time signature slightly off the beaten track.

Good work :)
Thanks! :)

Put "Epic" in the tags. 5 based time signatures seem to lead to lots of interesting poly-rhythms for me when composing.
fastlanephil wrote:Pretty much the same idea through out but lots of variations and side trips kept it quite interesting. The crazy pace reminded me of Flight Of The Bumble Bee.

Nice job on this!
Thanks also! :)

Flight of the Bumblebee. I'm pleased it made you think of it. Constantly undulating and rather-lighted hearted, despite the fast pace.
One of the inspirations was the metal band "Animals as Leaders"
I spent a lot of time with a friend a few years ago in which we were trying to learn some of their work and imitate it with works of our own. That band left a huge impression on me.
As for it being the same idea throughout, that was very deliberate. I think I wanted to get the most out of just a few riffs.

Rhythmically quite hypnotic at times with some catchy melodic fragments in there as well...ebbs and flows effectively.

Production-wise it's pretty good in many ways, but:

The frequency content is definitely uneven at times, with quite dominant use mid to high frequencies in many sections...makes it quite tiring on the ear.

Your piece:
Spectrum.jpg
One of mine that's been generally reviewed as well mixed (I don't always get it right):
Spectrum 2.jpg
The difference is significant in terms of how much each frequency band is used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChamMusic wrote:Rhythmically quite hypnotic at times with some catchy melodic fragments in there as well...ebbs and flows effectively.

Production-wise it's pretty good in many ways, but:

The frequency content is definitely uneven at times, with quite dominant use mid to high frequencies in many sections...makes it quite tiring on the ear.

Your piece:
Spectrum.jpg
One of mine that's been generally reviewed as well mixed (I don't always get it right):
Spectrum 2.jpg
The difference is significant in terms of how much each frequency band is used.
Thanks for the listening and the critique.

The piece of yours which you used for the spectral comparision - is it available to listen to somewhere? I'd like to hear it, if possible.

Wow that was a wild trip!

I almost never listen to a track twice in one go, but I had to hit replay on this again. I even shared it on my Facebook so my friends could listen!

It conjures up timelapse images of humanity being propelled through the future. Incredible work! I personally had no problem with the mix on my Focal Alpha 80s or on my headphones.

Actually i had to test this to imagery and it fits great. Just hit the mute button on the video and watch it with your track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEYSyfEL8nY

You ever consider composing for film and documentaries?

Great work!
:borg:

The piece of yours which you used for the spectral comparison - is it available to listen to somewhere? I'd like to hear it, if possible...

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... d-the-moon

V0RT3X wrote:Wow that was a wild trip!

I almost never listen to a track twice in one go, but I had to hit replay on this again. I even shared it on my Facebook so my friends could listen!

It conjures up timelapse images of humanity being propelled through the future. Incredible work! I personally had no problem with the mix on my Focal Alpha 80s or on my headphones.

Actually i had to test this to imagery and it fits great. Just hit the mute button on the video and watch it with your track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEYSyfEL8nY

You ever consider composing for film and documentaries?

Great work!

Thank you!
I'm happy that the piece took you on a journey. Thanks for sharing with your friends, who I hope enjoyed the piece as well.
That timelapse really is something... :love: Thanks for suggesting the overlay.

Since you mentioned some of your listening gear, I'll mention mine:
A pair of Event Studio Precision 8's.
A pair of BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro's.

As for film/documentary work, I've done some minor projects with close friends, but that's about it. I've been seriously considering actually getting into the business for a couple months now.
ChamMusic wrote: The piece of yours which you used for the spectral comparison - is it available to listen to somewhere? I'd like to hear it, if possible...

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... d-the-moon
Those are lovely synths and cadences...this reminds me of some of Vangelis' work from the 70's?(My favorite era of his.) Thanks for letting me hear it as well as see it.

Super interesting sound design. The frenetic percussion somehow manages not to become grating, probably because it's not very repetitive. The way the melody comes back in different variations in different parts is indeed symphonic. Sometimes the staccato strings sound a bit fake but in an electronic track that's not a huge deal. Really good work.

Return to “Music Cafe”