[Retro/Electro] A walk among the stars by Jérémie Lhomme

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone!

The title speaks for itself. ;) It's an electro song with a retro vibe that I hope you will enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/j-r-mie-lhomme/a ... -the-stars

Have a great day! :)

Jérémie Lhomme

Hi,

Like your song! I think that you have a good feeling for counterpoint melodies. It's really what made the 80's synth music (such as DM), but in today's music counterpoint is not so profound.

I'm not sure you want comments on improvements, but here goes: I think that the track is very dry, which is fine, but I'd like some reverb/delay on the fx at 2.50. I also think the snare drum screams for some effects; it's just too dry in my opinion (also if you're going for a retro sound, in which case it should at least be gated or so).

All in all: very nice track - quite catchy actually (it's still ringing in my head)! :tu:

Petter
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I disagree with this being dry. It's fine if these are the choices you've made in the mix. I enjoy its clarity and boldness.

Although I disagree, I don't think it's an invalid opinion. I think if Petter was doing a remix it would be a great decision if he personally preferred it more set back in the mix and reverby. I'd like to hear that version too.
composer | producer http://noct.us

Aaron Marshall wrote:I disagree with this being dry. It's fine if these are the choices you've made in the mix. I enjoy its clarity and boldness.

Although I disagree, I don't think it's an invalid opinion. I think if Petter was doing a remix it would be a great decision if he personally preferred it more set back in the mix and reverby. I'd like to hear that version too.
Well, thanks Aaron! :hug:

Okay, so not "dry" really as I can hear the reverb quite well, but let's say "bare" or "naked" then. I too enjoy that, and all afternoon I've been keeping the catchy melody in my head. :)
Go MuLab!

@SparkySpark @Aaron Marshall Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Super happy to know that it got stuck in your head Petter ;) haha

I like your comments about the mix. I take good note of what you guys said ! The mix can be a tricky moment... so many possibilities but we can only pick one.

What does gated mean? (I'm french)

Thanks again guys :)

Jérémie

only the snare comes over somewhat dry IMHO and could use slight room verb to make it sit better.
other than that, nice song :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:only the snare comes over somewhat dry IMHO and could use slight room verb to make it sit better.
other than that, nice song :tu:
Agree on the snare. Otherwise a very beautiful retro tune. Keep it comming...

There are some nice melodic lines here. I found the slow drums and bass a bit surprising. I would expect them to go with a darker, depressing song.

Good job overall. :tu:

@Frantz @electroworks @layzer

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate all of the advice. You guys are making me glad I subscribed to this forum.
I'm also really happy you liked the song!

I will try and post a new track soon!

Have a great day!

Just a reply on the gate and snare: In the 1980's, the typical pop song would have a big sounding snare drum as the main driver of the song (as opposed to today, when it's the bass drum). Many (most?) of them use a gated reverb on the snare. For example, take a listen to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal, Roxette's The Look, Duran Duran's A View to a Kill, Fine Young Cannibals' She Drives Me Crazy, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, or Paula Abdul's Straight Up.

A gated reverb is when you have a big reverb followed by a noise gate to cut it off. This makes the drum sound huge but as it's cut off instead of left ringing, it doesn't muddy the mix.

In your case, I wouldn't use that kind of snare sound though, but something with a more natural reverb.

I lived in Paris in 1987 and realize the French 1980's sound didn't follow this recipe (which might be why I reacted to the drums in your "80's" song). For instance, take Indochine's Kao Bang or La Sécheresse Du Mékong: the drums are as dry as "une sécheresse". :)

...so from a French-historic perspective, you're spot on with the very dry drums! :)
Go MuLab!

@SparkySpark Thank you! The Born in the USA example made it pretty clear. ;)

Oh you lived in France? Nice. ;) I live in the south east, though. How old are you?

So... I nailed it? haha

Thank you again for your answer! :)

Nice track, although I can't agree with the description 'electro'. This term is more connected with dance music styles nowadays. It's a classic synthesizer track with clear 80s influences I would say. Nice work.
Greetings
HM

8opus wrote:@SparkySpark Thank you! The Born in the USA example made it pretty clear. ;)

Oh you lived in France? Nice. ;) I live in the south east, though. How old are you?

So... I nailed it? haha

Thank you again for your answer! :)
44. I lived in Paris in 1987 and watched my first Depeche Mode concert there. :tu:

Later, my mother lived in the alps above Grenoble, a fantastic place with downhill skiing and close to the vineyards too. :clap:
Go MuLab!

@htcnext2 Thank you!

You might be right. The term "Electro" might be a bit misleading.

@SparkySpark Oh, nice! I think it's about 3 or 4h away from where I live.

Return to “Music Cafe”