One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/35907 ... YYO50NUGpJ
Beautiful Thorn
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/skon ... l-osc-1117

Thorn x 21
(& special thanks for the percussion patches contributed above; was kinda struggling there)
LIVE9 environment
LIVE EFX : EQ8, Reverb, Limiter, PolyRhythm, Midi Chord, Corpus, Glue Compressor
on Master : Glue, EQ8, Overdrive, Saturator, Limiter

my first OSC submission, hope that you dig it
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Hello Everyone. Here's my submission so far for the Thorn #105 challenge.

Listen to the little thornbirds flapping across your image as they move from verse to chorus and back!

Percussion is "brushes based" and intentionally muted - almost decided to have none (still might if there is a concensus against them!)

Please enjoy this track/song. Someone should do me some lyrics???

DAW: Reaper

Track Details

27 * Thorn
25 * ReaEQ
6 * LFX-1310
2 * Twin Delay
1 * TAL Dub Delay
2 * TAL Reverb II
5 * TAL Reverb 4
2 * JS Bass Manager/Booster

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
TDR Feedback Compressor II
Classic Master Limiter

DR:11

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/thorny-one

Please enjoy.

dB

Wow beautiful tracks.
I pass for this month, my current gear is not good enough for modern synths.
Good luck to everyone.

***** Updated already *****

Pushed the bass drone up a bit to add a little extra in the low mids. Dropped the hat for the first verse (thanks @ontrackp :tu: ), comes in at the first chorus with the ride, and stays to the end. All percussion kept as a brush set (the brush snare hit is much more apparent in the final chorus/outro - less effective at lower volumes - but, that's real life I guess!)

I have also re-worked the whole way the choirs perform across the track. Starting with NONE, then slowly letting them come louder in and out of the various sections until a full blown "go for it" in the final section. Hope it makes more sense, and lets the more "subtle" elements of the track shine through.

Please keep enjoying ... I like it a lot (but I would say that, wouldn't I??). Oh yes, for any "Father Ted" fans, the guitar sound wasn't meant to sound like the one used on the intro (music by The Divine Comedy), but it does have a feel of that, but without the tremolo! :hihi:

dB

105 is available

] Peter:H [ wrote:105 is available
And it is said to have fixed the reload woes! Downloading it now...fingers crossed.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

doctorbob wrote:I have to agree - those tom rolls are great! This track has matured well from it's original WIP! Liking it a lot.

dB
Thanks Rob. It is still undergoing metamorphosis and I have been letting it stew on the back burner, so I haven't updated my "final" track lol. I recently got SC Pro, which makes life nice in that regards.

As for my "lo-fi" files that someone mentioned, definitely not a file issue...more of an "I suck" thing, and Taron has really been helpful in pointing out target areas and helping me get my lo-fi heavy rock ears up to speed...retraining these old ears is no easy task.

Closing Reaper to install the update....wish me luck!! hahahaha

*Update* The operation was a success. Session reloaded without a hitch.

awesome.

sqigls wrote:awesome.
...kinda how I feel about your Dub.

TheNeverScene wrote:
thanks mate :)

well, just wait till next week, my OSC submission will blow the jam out'cha toes ;)

sqigls wrote:
TheNeverScene wrote:
thanks mate :)

well, just wait till next week, my OSC submission will blow the jam out'cha toes ;)
Haha. Cool. I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of toe jam cleaning going on with Thorn submissions. I've just gotten to the point where I am having fun with ideas and have been working on fidelity, so thanks for the extra push. I live in the Caribbean, surrounded by Jamaicans, so maybe a new twist on the horizon :) Funny though, everything they listen to is as lo-fi as you can get!

Any recommendations on a good free 64bit "glue" compressor? No Ableton, so Cytomics doesn't count. VoS Density is great, but I'm trying to avoid bridging as much as possible. No real reason, just because.

yeah but lo-fi analog is a bit different to lo-fi digital.
depending on the treatment of course.

dub reggae is the basis for everything i do now, wether i intend it or not :D
just from years of listening to dub and playing with effects
seems to just creep it's way into every production.

push it to another place man, the only reason reggae was the scratchy thing it was, is because they couldn't afford good instruments. Now we have 24/96 oversampled lush synths and fx, no reason to go too lo-fi. within reason of course :P

free glue compressor?... not sure
tried this one yet?...
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

You're 100% correct about the analog vs digital lo-fi...I was just being facetious :D My lo-fi is not pleasant, so trying to get over that hump. I was also abusing Thorn's built in lo-fi FX unit and XFer's OTT compressor, which led to all sorts of problems that weren't really sticking out on my system. I think I've pretty much dialed that out here lately, so my final submission should sound better...I hope.

Totally forgot about Kotelnikov. TDR's Feedback Compressor II is all over my tune and I use the pay version of their EQ all the time on other stuff. Thank's for the reminder!

I do love some crusty old reggae though....good stuff.

Return to “Instruments”