Cakewalk Sonar Refuges: what's next?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there

Cakewalk Sonar closed and we need to make some important decisions on what will be the next step in DAW. I am wondering if any vendors planning to offer any cross-grade discounts for the Cakewalk refuges.

I would like to try ProTools, but I use multiple VST instruments. I recently built new computer and it took like 10 months to reinstall and authorize everything. I did not install any ProTools format plugins, and going back and reinstalling can make new problems. This makes me think- better option would be Cubase. I am really not excited about Fruity Loops. I need linear software, so Abelton will probably not work. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Ableton and BWS are perfectly suitable for a linear style arrangement.

Cubase and Studio One will feel more familiar coming from Sonar. Just try out some demos and watch some videos. ;)

Astralv wrote: I recently built new computer and it took like 10 months to reinstall and authorize everything.
God... you beat me by 9 months 3/4 ! And i thought i had too much stuff :hihi: ...
I went from cubase (sx3) to sonar, and went back to cubase without a hiccup, so you should have no problem. Too bad for cakewalk, this is incredible. :?:

Astralv wrote:Hey there

Cakewalk Sonar closed and we need to make some important decisions on what will be the next step in DAW. I am wondering if any vendors planning to offer any cross-grade discounts for the Cakewalk refuges.

I would like to try ProTools, but I use multiple VST instruments. I recently built new computer and it took like 10 months to reinstall and authorize everything. I did not install any ProTools format plugins, and going back and reinstalling can make new problems. This makes me think- better option would be Cubase. I am really not excited about Fruity Loops. I need linear software, so Abelton will probably not work. Any recommendations? Thank you.
Pro Tools is a mess in what concerns third party plug-in support, and also native audio (my own experience). Besides, you will have to pay a annual subscription (expensive) to have updates.

You will be much better served with something like Cubase Pro, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

Unless you need compatibility with other musicians/studios, I wouldn't recommend ProTools.

Cubase, Samplitude, Studio One, Reaper and Mixcraft. Download the trials and give them a workout.

Forget about buying a DAW this Black Friday - it's a time constraint that you don't need right now. Give yourself at least 4-6 months.

You can keep using Sonar in the meantime.

BTW, I'm a fellow Sonar user going through the same thing. I think I know you from the forums. Ms V - right?

Yes, it is me, Vlada Astral. Thank you for your replies.

What about Nuendo?

Studio One- I did not think of that one. I just ditched my Presonus 24.2.4 for MOTU system- if I knew I was going to switch to Sturio One, I would stay with Presonus hardware.

REAPER

Be sure to download the Sonar to REAPER guide.

Maybe a petition on change.org for Gibson to reconsider?
No signature here!

Astralv wrote:
What about Nuendo?
Nuendo is just Cubase Pro with extra features for post production.

If you're a musician/engineer, then Nuendo is overkill. It's a mistake to think of Cubase Pro as a cutdown version of Nuendo. Cubase Pro is the flagship version for musicians/recording engineers. Nuendo is tailored for those who do sound recording and more (post-production).

meh. i'll just keep using sonar. have it on a computer with windows 7 and updates turned off. it does everything i need it to. I hate updating software and OS anyway

honestly i'm more upset about the cancellation of Project 5
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

I did use Sonar Home but i switched to Tracktion 6 (Freeware) some months ago but it doesn't have a Mixerview like Sonar. Newest version named Waveform now but not stable as T6 (tbh, its buggy).

Give Bitwig a chance too, it's closer to usual linear approach than Live, stuff is on the same places, library is on right, channels on left, there's actual mixer page and so on...
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Stick it to the man.

That's what's next.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

I'm really interested in Tracktion Waveform. They said "Big offers this coming weekend - be sure to check the site :)".

About 15 years ago I was in the same boat when Apple shut down Windows support for Emagic Logic Audio and I switched to Sonar XL 2.2. It was so much better to use than Logic I was actually a little glad Apple did what they did. I've now worked thru the five stages of grief:

Denial. Gibson just made a mistake and this will all be fixed soon.
Anger. F*$@# Gibson!
Bargaining. For sure another company will buy and resurrect Cakewalk.
Depression. This sux. I'll never be able to make music again.
Acceptance. You know there are actually plenty of other DAWs out there that may be better and for now Sonar still works.

Steve Bolivar wrote:I'm really interested in Tracktion Waveform.
I were too, than gave it a chance and realized it's just not there for me, even asked about it on their forum over here and made few feature requests, never got any response, closed that book forever, too much missing out for 2017 DAW.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”