One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, can anyone point me towards any reaper or ardour project files from previous OSCs? I'm new here and I'd really like to see how people set things up! thanks

Deanodirector wrote:Hello, can anyone point me towards any reaper or ardour project files from previous OSCs? I'm new here and I'd really like to see how people set things up! thanks
My only submitted entry made in ardour (I consider it unfinished though)

you can also check rghvdberg repositories. He has some ardour sessions there.

thanks but I should have specified I'm using windows. I tried setting up DAWs and VSTs on linux (I use arch) but it was a nightmare!

Deanodirector wrote:thanks but I should have specified I'm using windows. I tried setting up DAWs and VSTs on linux (I use arch) but it was a nightmare!
Oh yes, it was a nightmare here too :D , but rghvdberg helped me along and it went fine (after my 3rd reinstallation or so :hihi: ).

Maybe you could ask some OSCers that use reaper if they could share their project files. (you could search in the threads of previous challenges)

I'm not having any luck searching. If people are linking to project files on external sites searching for file extensions doesn't help...

Nevermind, I will try myself regardless. I hope there is a beginners synth next month - Thorn has so many options I'm suffering from paradox of choice!

I'm not aware of project files ever being shared on mass. It isn't the intent of OSC and wouldn't actually work in most cases as most hosts are not freeware, unlike the plug-ins. In addition support among VST hosts to handle missing plug-ins or plug-ins with differing versions or "IDs" (don't get me started on the "IDs" ...) is absolute garbage. There is not a single host I'm aware of that would allow you to "replace" a plug-in while maintaining its state. Instead you need to manually save the .fxb and re-load it, while if you have a conflict between two versions of the same plug-in where one "overrides" the other there is no way to specify which version you want to load with the project.

Due to these sorts of issues any project file would need to include the plug-ins and all supporting data inside the project in order to reliably load on another system, which would need to be configured identically with the same software (OS, host, supporting software, drivers!) in order to ensure the project loaded and rendered exactly the same way.

You're better off attempting to create a "snapshot" of the universe and mail that... like a box with a frozen picture of universe at the time the project was rendered inside it.

Such a tool actually exists: it's called Virtual Box. You can create a virtualized platform and copy the disk + configuration, although this requires that you and the individual loading the configuration have identical matching versions of Virtual Box!

It's nightmares all the way down.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

J.Ruegg wrote:
Deanodirector wrote:thanks but I should have specified I'm using windows. I tried setting up DAWs and VSTs on linux (I use arch) but it was a nightmare!
Oh yes, it was a nightmare here too :D , but rghvdberg helped me along and it went fine (after my 3rd reinstallation or so :hihi: ).

Maybe you could ask some OSCers that use reaper if they could share their project files. (you could search in the threads of previous challenges)
Hello.

Here's a project file of mine from OSC98 if you're interested.
Created with Reaper. :) https://ufile.io/8er2v
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

aciddose wrote:I'm not aware of project files ever being shared on mass. It isn't the intent of OSC and wouldn't actually work in most cases as most hosts are not freeware, unlike the plug-ins. In addition support among VST hosts to handle missing plug-ins or plug-ins with differing versions or "IDs" (don't get me started on the "IDs" ...) is absolute garbage. There is not a single host I'm aware of that would allow you to "replace" a plug-in while maintaining its state. Instead you need to manually save the .fxb and re-load it, while if you have a conflict between two versions of the same plug-in where one "overrides" the other there is no way to specify which version you want to load with the project.

Due to these sorts of issues any project file would need to include the plug-ins and all supporting data inside the project in order to reliably load on another system, which would need to be configured identically with the same software (OS, host, supporting software, drivers!) in order to ensure the project loaded and rendered exactly the same way.

You're better off attempting to create a "snapshot" of the universe and mail that... like a box with a frozen picture of universe at the time the project was rendered inside it.

Such a tool actually exists: it's called Virtual Box. You can create a virtualized platform and copy the disk + configuration, although this requires that you and the individual loading the configuration have identical matching versions of Virtual Box!

It's nightmares all the way down.
I see. thanks for the response.

Reaper manages to avoid these issues by saving the project files in plain US-ASCII text, which allows you to go in and edit plug-in filenames and IDs... although Reaper still lacks the ability to decide which of differing versions of the same plug-in to load for a particular project.

So you'd still need to be absolutely certain that only the correct version of the plug-in used in the project is present and visible to the host in order to load the project correctly.

Spread that over 100s of different free plug-ins and you're in for the time of your life!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Ever wonder what happens when a virtuoso writes a piece inspired by monophonic synthesis? No? ~104:30
https://youtu.be/Bg_6CWcJqNM?t=3870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_6CWcJqNM
Well I wonder if a virtuoso synthesist can write something engaging in a similar, progressive way with a monophonic synthesizer. We do have lots of folks that make direct models of instruments, though similar, there's a mentality of pushing an instrument to have the capacity of other instruments that yields amazing performances. Victor Wooten and Eric Gales come to mind. When you have arguably the most flexible instrument ever created, what does that mean?
quick, _ake what you want in life

574X wrote:Ever wonder what happens when a virtuoso writes a piece inspired by monophonic synthesis?
what does that mean?
Its all about how you actually play the sound. I lost interest in synths for 20 years, though you would have limitless possibilities sound wise, but not expression wise. As soon I got a LinnStrument last year, everything changed dramatically. I am hot again...

Your question gave me two references: An inspired synthesist (Cory Henry) with normal keys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCwSqqOdFM0

And a Muse classic performed with a LinnStrument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bQ3TNSmPdY

For me it was the other way around. The LinnStrument and Thorn (OSC 106) inspired me, but this isn't composed its purely improvised, including the sound... (Still have a lot to learn...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDtWD9CLJM

Frostline wrote:It seems like the majority are windows only
To be exact, 1 is Mac only, 26 run on Mac as well, the rest is win only.
For me the top 27...;-)
Linux is ignored, though U-He runs there...
All Full Buckets are not listed as Mac compatible, but they are...
Some you have to get out of the Internet Archive...

I wonder if this thread is of any interest to some guys here, it's about sound designing of hard sounds
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=498211

I haven't gotten my forgotten-password-email after about an hour or so. I would like to revisit my votes before the deadline tomorrow :scared:

Still no e-mail.. but I remembered my password :)

Return to “Instruments”