I'm looking for a special kind of smart arpeggiator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:This is called "diatonic transposition." The old Yamaha Q hardware sequences could do this. Create your pattern and select your chords on the Chord Track and the pattern is transposed to match your chords. I think it is a cool feature but it isn't commonly included in modern sequencers. If all else fails, you can pick up a used Q sequencer on eBay.
That can integrate with the VST in your DAW?

wagtunes wrote:
Frantz wrote:This is called "diatonic transposition." The old Yamaha Q hardware sequences could do this. Create your pattern and select your chords on the Chord Track and the pattern is transposed to match your chords. I think it is a cool feature but it isn't commonly included in modern sequencers. If all else fails, you can pick up a used Q sequencer on eBay.
That can integrate with the VST in your DAW?
Not really. These are standalone hardware sequencers. They have MIDI out. So once you have finished sketching your song, you play the MIDI into your DAW via a MIDI cable and record it. Once you have the MIDI in your DAW, you can play it using whatever VSTs you like.

I stopped using them but I have a portable Yamaha Q and this bad boy: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/qy700.php

They all have the ability to create custom patterns which are transposed in accordance to the Chord Track.

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Just using Logic... I would use the Chord Trigger Device... you can program each key to be the multi-note chord you want. Put the Chord Trigger first, followed by the Arpeggiator... then you can play single notes and get the chords you want arpeggiated.
1) Don't know if he has Logic.

2) That's still an awful lot of unnecessary work. I'd never do all that. I'd want a smart ARP as well where it just KNOWS that if I designate key of C and hit an A note to play the 6th of C which is A minor.

I doubt he's going to want to do all that either.
Logic was just one example... some VST's can do the same basic things.

and it takes all of like 30 seconds to play/record the chords you want into the Chord Trigger device. That does not seem like an awful lot of work to me...

Fundamentally, there is no way for an Arp to know what you want unless you program it, or you always do the exact same thing in which case it can be pre-programmed. Thus Arp's usually depend on the person to play whatever chord you want and it arpeggiates it.

pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Just using Logic... I would use the Chord Trigger Device... you can program each key to be the multi-note chord you want. Put the Chord Trigger first, followed by the Arpeggiator... then you can play single notes and get the chords you want arpeggiated.

2) That's still an awful lot of unnecessary work. I'd never do all that. I'd want a smart ARP as well where it just KNOWS that if I designate key of C and hit an A note to play the 6th of C which is A minor.

and it takes all of like 30 seconds to play/record the chords you want into the Chord Trigger device. That does not seem like an awful lot of work to me...

Fundamentally, there is no way for an Arp to know what you want unless you program it, or you always do the exact same thing in which case it can be pre-programmed. Thus Arp's usually depend on the person to play whatever chord you want and it arpeggiates it.
Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I said way back on page 1 that I seriously doubt what he's looking for exists. At least I've yet to find anything like it.

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I said way back on page 1 that I seriously doubt what he's looking for exists. At least I've yet to find anything like it.
Thus my suggestion... which is easy enough to do (your awful lot of work comment to the contrary) :tu:

pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Thus my suggestion... which is easy enough to do (your awful lot of work comment to the contrary) :tu:
Well, I'm lazy. I'd rather just settle for close enough. Either that or just program the part I want if it's really critical to the song.

I do think Melodic Flow as mentioned before would help, I don't remember if it has an Arp itself, but it allows you to change the key of input notes on the fly, it is a vst that should sit before the arp. I tried the demo last week but didn't get that into it, but I did ask the developer if they would have black Friday deals, he said yes, same developer as Sundog, so now is the time to demo it and see if it does what he's asking. I spent all my $$ already or I would be trying to figure that out myself. The primary thing I wanted it for was to transpose scales depending on a chord track so I don't have to learn a bunch of scales in different keys. It looks like a very capable product.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:I do think Melodic Flow as mentioned before would help, I don't remember if it has an Arp itself, but it allows you to change the key of input notes on the fly, it is a vst that should sit before the arp. I tried the demo last week but didn't get that into it, but I did ask the developer if they would have black Friday deals, he said yes, same developer as Sundog, so now is the time to demo it and see if it does what he's asking. I spent all my $$ already or I would be trying to figure that out myself. The primary thing I wanted it for was to transpose scales depending on a chord track so I don't have to learn a bunch of scales in different keys. It looks like a very capable product.
For that matter, play everything in C (easiest key to play in) and then just go into your piano roll and use the transpose function to change it to whatever key you want. This is a trick I use a lot because, like I said, I'm lazy and playing in C is easy.

wagtunes wrote:
braj wrote:I do think Melodic Flow as mentioned before would help, I don't remember if it has an Arp itself, but it allows you to change the key of input notes on the fly, it is a vst that should sit before the arp. I tried the demo last week but didn't get that into it, but I did ask the developer if they would have black Friday deals, he said yes, same developer as Sundog, so now is the time to demo it and see if it does what he's asking. I spent all my $$ already or I would be trying to figure that out myself. The primary thing I wanted it for was to transpose scales depending on a chord track so I don't have to learn a bunch of scales in different keys. It looks like a very capable product.
For that matter, play everything in C (easiest key to play in) and then just go into your piano roll and use the transpose function to change it to whatever key you want. This is a trick I use a lot because, like I said, I'm lazy and playing in C is easy.
Yeah, but if you want to PLAY your music live and record it, going into the piano roll after the fact isn't really an option. I may be terrible at it, but I am a musician.

Anyhow, it is better to try and answer the guy's question than to essentially tell him his question isn't worth answering. If he uses Melodic Flow, he can throw whatever arp he prefers between it and his VSTi. I do think it covers what he wanted.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Yeah, but if you want to PLAY your music live and record it, going into the piano roll after the fact isn't really an option. I may be terrible at it, but I am a musician.

Anyhow, it is better to try and answer the guy's question than to essentially tell him his question isn't worth answering. If he uses Melodic Flow, he can throw whatever arp he prefers between it and his VSTi. I do think it covers what he wanted.
I never said his question wasn't worth answering. I just don't think he's going to find what he's looking for. So far he hasn't. There are lots of things that come close. But exact? Nothing exists that I know of. But by all means, if he's cool with settling for close, there are many options including the one you offered.

And I'm saying there is a solution, just not an independent arp.

Here's the link, I've been playing with it and it does just what he asked for.

http://feelyoursound.com/melodicflow/

braj wrote:And I'm saying there is a solution, just not an independent arp.

I think the old Yamaha Q approach was actually closer to what he wanted. With that, you would prepare 2-4 bar patterns in advance. The patterns could be major or minor and have any root note. The Yamaha sequencer would transpose all patterns in the song (except drum patterns) based on whatever chord was on the chord track.

Melodic flow is based on keyboard input (not pre-made patterns) and only understands input of the white notes. So if you want to play in a minor scale or if you want to play a chromatic riff, you are out of luck. It looks decent though.

Frantz wrote:
braj wrote:And I'm saying there is a solution, just not an independent arp.

I think the old Yamaha Q approach was actually closer to what he wanted. With that, you would prepare 2-4 bar patterns in advance. The patterns could be major or minor and have any root note. The Yamaha sequencer would transpose all patterns in the song (except drum patterns) based on whatever chord was on the chord track.

Melodic flow is based on keyboard input (not pre-made patterns) and only understands input of the white notes. So if you want to play in a minor scale or if you want to play a chromatic riff, you are out of luck. It looks decent though.
You can do the patterns in the midi piano roll and feed that into Melodic Flow from your 'chord track.' That would be simpler than doing it with external gear.

It can rescale your keyboard, so you can have it play in whatever scale you want.

Return to “Instruments”