Which controller keyboard do you use for you virtual instruments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for some feedback on which are best or avoidable.

I'm interested in the M-Audio Oxygen 61 as it's priced decently with quite a number of knobs and sliders...

The thing about keyboards is that everybody has their own preferences. That partially depends on your background.

For a start, there are weighted/semi-weighted/unweighted keybeds, all of which have their own feel. If you are a piano player, you might hate the unweighted keys for example. If you've grown up playing VSTs on an unweighted keyboard, semi-weighted and particularly weighted is going to take some getting used to.

Playing piano VSTs on a weighted or semi-weighted keyboard feels much better to me than unweighted. I prefer unweighted for synths.

So I think you need to provide a little more context as to what you want, and what is important to you:
  • Any keybed preferences
  • Minimum number of keys (61?)
  • Sliders and knob requirements (nice-to-have vs needed vs I need loads etc.)
  • Drum pads?
  • Mod wheel and pitch bend I presume
  • Price range
  • Preferred playing style (piano/synth)
  • Keyboard experience
Otherwise you'll just get every keyboard under the sun suggested.

I would also definitely suggest trying out the keyboards in a shop, if at all possible. The keyboard needs to click for you. And then buy from that shop too; the ability to go and try out instruments is something worth paying for IMO. Don't be that jerk who tries out the instruments in a brick and mortar store and then orders online because it's cheaper.

Trusty old M-audio 02 for scratch paddin'

Roland XP with a midi adapter for the rest
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

The only controller keyboard i currently got without a built-in sound engine is a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MK1 which indeed is my main controller for plugins.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

None,

After my linnstrument died I alternate between the Artiphon Instrument One and my Ztar. I plan to get a launchpad pro after Christmas.

Shouldn't this be in Hardware?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I use a Microbrute, because being able to pull its own weight as a synth too is a useful thing in a controller keyboard :hihi: and matters to me more than key size. In fact I need a compact keyboard anyway for my setup.

I also sometimes play synths using Pad Mode on Maschine.

Arturia Keylab 49.

They've got a new series out I'd consider,
but I'd have to contact them first to make sure it does all that the Keylab can do.

sjm wrote:The thing about keyboards is that everybody has their own preferences. That partially depends on your background.

For a start, there are weighted/semi-weighted/unweighted keybeds, all of which have their own feel. If you are a piano player, you might hate the unweighted keys for example. If you've grown up playing VSTs on an unweighted keyboard, semi-weighted and particularly weighted is going to take some getting used to.

Playing piano VSTs on a weighted or semi-weighted keyboard feels much better to me than unweighted. I prefer unweighted for synths.

So I think you need to provide a little more context as to what you want, and what is important to you:
  • Any keybed preferences
  • Minimum number of keys (61?)
  • Sliders and knob requirements (nice-to-have vs needed vs I need loads etc.)
  • Drum pads?
  • Mod wheel and pitch bend I presume
  • Price range
  • Preferred playing style (piano/synth)
  • Keyboard experience
Otherwise you'll just get every keyboard under the sun suggested.

I would also definitely suggest trying out the keyboards in a shop, if at all possible. The keyboard needs to click for you. And then buy from that shop too; the ability to go and try out instruments is something worth paying for IMO. Don't be that jerk who tries out the instruments in a brick and mortar store and then orders online because it's cheaper.
I'm not a keyboard player and I've been happy with my old evolution MK361 controller action for years now.
61 keys
I need loads of knobs & sliders. Do any controllers have a shift-button so that the knobs and sliders can be used for various functions?
Price lower than higher
Synth playing
Keyboard experience... tinkler or noodler :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-61-SL ... SwH3hZ~I7V

I think Novation SL has the best "feeling" keybed of all the controllers that I've demo'd

best of luck
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-61-SL ... SwH3hZ~I7V

I think Novation SL has the best "feeling" keybed of all the controllers that I've demo'd

best of luck
ReMoteSL here too ... as well as Push2. :tu:

I play live with VSTs and use a Roland A-800 Pro. Not the best keybed, but good enough.

At home, I use a Korg K61P.

Hemmick Reef wrote: I'm interested in the M-Audio Oxygen 61 as it's priced decently with quite a number of knobs and sliders...
I will never buy anything from M-Audio again. Their support for legacy products is non-existent and one day anything you buy from them will become a legacy product.

I use an Akai MPK261 and love it. Built like a tank, a full compliment of knobs and sliders, drum pads right in the middle where they belong. Great keybed with Aftertouch and a nice (to me) feel. The "Human Interface Device" capabilities allow you to assign buttons to send qwerty commands which means you can send keyboard shortcuts to your DAW. This is particularly useful for DAWs like FL Studio which do not have custom key bindings. I can open/close the Piano Roll, Playlist or Mixer, select Piano Roll Tools, Copy/Paste etc etc right from the MPK261. I'm finding this feature really useful here.

But in the end you should really try to demo several keyboards to see which one feels right to you. Everyone has a different playing style and some love synth keys, some love semi-weighted keys etc. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hemmick Reef wrote: I'm not a keyboard player and I've been happy with my old evolution MK361 controller action for years now.
61 keys
I need loads of knobs & sliders. Do any controllers have a shift-button so that the knobs and sliders can be used for various functions?
Price lower than higher
Synth playing
Keyboard experience... tinkler or noodler :wink:
So basically you want an unweighted keyboard with 61 keys and a decent number of knobs and sliders (not just one or the other right?)

Some controllers do have a shift function; not sure which keyboards support this. I haven't bought a pure controller for a decade or so, so the one I have that meets most of your requirements is long discontinued. I'm sure others can help though :)

If you're going for the lower price range, I'd say go to a shop, try them out, and buy the one that feels best with a decent number of knobs and sliders. There's not really that much to choose between the cheaper models in terms of build quality IME. It's more a question of knob/slider placement and how it feels to you to play. Given your relatively limited playing experience, your expectations will not be the same as a professional keys player. If you ever want something better, you're going to have to shell significantly more anyway, so save that for when you know you will actually reap the benefits of a better build quality, aftertouch etc.

I like the Roland A series. A300, A500, A800.

My Nektar Impact LX49+ is the best MIDI keyboard I've used. It not only has a nice feel and lots of knobs, sliders, and pads, it also integrates with about a dozen different DAWs out of the box. It's also the best value for money keyboard I've ever come across. And, of course, they do a 61-key model.

http://www.nektartech.com/impact-lx49-61-plus.html

Return to “Instruments”