SoundMorph: Dust, granular flow motion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've got some really great stuff out of Dust over the last few months but jeez can it be infuriating to use.

Off the top of my head: Doesn't seem to be a shortcut for resetting controls to default (super irritating for pitch), the LFOs have tiny controls and terrible resolution for very slow moving modulation (which is a big appeal of granular for me, drones, pads etc.), lack of useful resolution at extreme ends of the granular parameters (very short interval and length for example), trying to modulate certain controls like Angle through a useful range is painful, the effector equations seem to randomly break and start pushing in all directions (even the built in ones), random crashes, lack of useful controls for the convolution (i.e. length, pitch, convolution envelope).

Which is all a huge pity because it's one of the most innovative plugins I've ever used, and has SO much potential! The fact that I still regularly open it despite all of the above is a testament to the core idea behind it, but it seems to be pretty much abandonware at this point...

I feel Dust is really a love-hate type of thing. Incredible sound with very unique and creative way of operating granular synthesis, but terrible pain in the you-know-where in term of use and workflow. Not fun at all to play with. But…. Man the sounds you can get out of this thing!!

Just got an email that this thing is on sale. But after reading through this train wreck of a thread, I'd probably be an idiot to buy it.

Questions:

1) Still no demo?

2) Did they fix the Cubase mono problem yet?

3) Does it respond to keyboard pitch yet or still no?

4) How stable is this thing otherwise?

It's been almost a year and it seems not much has changed. is this in fact abandonware?

I can add, that DUST ‚forgets‘ the serial, so that I have to enter it on every start, but after a couple of these ‚efficient‘ procedures, it tells me, that I installed it on too many computers...

I asked for support but nothing happens...

So far one of my worst buys, virtually worthless for me...

There is a pattern with this developer -> release, discuss, abandon, offer more sound packs...

Dust for me is incredibly unstable. It crashes every session in every project on my laptop and desktop. I could leave it open in an empty project and it wiil eventually after a few minutes crash Reaper, Cubase, Reason and flstudio, even Renoise. On top of that if I select preset 5 it will select the preset bellow it, So as a work around is if I want to select preset 5 I have to select preset 6 and it will automatically select preset 5 lol. To me it is the most unstabble plugun I have used and just feels unfinished. The makers dont seem to be actively updating it either.

wagtunes wrote:1) Still no demo?
The paid version download runs in demo mode until you enter the serial - But you need to have paid for it in order to reach the download screen. :borg:
2) Did they fix the Cubase mono problem yet?
A fix appeared on version v1.1.3 which solved Cubase mono mode.

I wiped the computer OS when I installed a few new computer bits and so didn't install Dust for a while. Then when I re-installed it a few months later after windows and cubase had both updated a few times , it didn't work. No response from Sound Morph. Maybe it does work and it was my PC playing up, I don't know? When I re-installed it it didn't install the sound library, so I re-downloaded it a couple of times to make sure and then was messing around installing and uninstalling to try and get it going. Now It says I've used up my maximum number of installations or something when I try.
3) Does it respond to keyboard pitch yet or still no?
The first version did anyway didn't it? You just had to map it to 100% to get it to scale with the keys. It's not something you "play" anyway. It's a wonky granular noise machine created with fancy LFOs and arps.
4) How stable is this thing otherwise?
When it works it's very nice. I really liked it. The stereo dopler effects are great. Surround sound whooshes etc.
It's not something you can just put on and play with as it takes a while setting up the sounds before it gets interesting. It's about as complex as Mangle. It behaves quite like Mangle to be honest but with a stereo field view of the granular motion rather than a side on volume and sample position view.
It's been almost a year and it seems not much has changed. is this in fact abandonware?
I'd say so. I did moan a bit when they were messing about trying to fix the mono mode thing and so got a free sample pack out of them. Should have asked for a refund really. I don't think I've even listened to the sample pack.
Last edited by wickfut on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glad I never got it. Thanks.

wagtunes wrote:Glad I never got it. Thanks.
PM me your email. I'll mail them and ask them to transfer my licence to you. If they do it then bonus for you. If they ignore the email then nothing lost.

wickfut wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Glad I never got it. Thanks.
PM me your email. I'll mail them and ask them to transfer my licence to you. If they do it then bonus for you. If they ignore the email then nothing lost.
Thanks, but I don't want to be stuck with this train wreck.

no worries , ha ha

It's like the 80's Ferrari's. Incredible sound, terrible buggy engine.

A very polarized plugin, a true love hate thing.

Neon Breath wrote:It's like the 80's Ferrari's. Incredible sound, terrible buggy engine.

I have Dust. I neither love nor hate it. I use it when it seems right to do so.

plexuss wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:It's like the 80's Ferrari's. Incredible sound, terrible buggy engine.

I have Dust. I neither love nor hate it. I use it when it seems right to do so.
Lucky one.
Mine simply isn‘t working...
A desaster of a plugin...

50% off all their products today, geeeeeeeez...

They have awful timing with their sales, also. :hihi:

So...
Worth $50 at this point..?
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Instruments”