Zero-G Datafile

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone have these sample CD's?

I heard they had loads of old breaks and hip hop sounds on, wouldnt mind picking up a copy. Not sure about the availability, but Im sure I can rustle a copy up from somewhere (somewhere legal that is!).

Btw, any other CD's featuring that kind of stuff? Im not much of a hip hop fan, but I still fancy a library of these sample.

Zero-G Datafiles... fond memories and a relationship still going on strong as ever. Same with the Xstatic Goldmines.

But I shouldn't tell about these to anyone, damn!

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!

Haha, I can keep a secret if you can! Infact, I think I got some of those Goldmine samples free on a CM years ago.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm curious, were the samples licensed for the compilation?
"unlike all other Zero-G products, these so-called 'Datafile' CDs were never sold with a commercial user license and could only be used 'personally' for inspiration."

So no.

But back in the day no one cared, and most people outside silly internet forums still don't. 8)

And good luck trying to find 20-year-old sample cds "legally", though can't see who you're trying to save by doing so. These weren't legal in the first place, so if you think you're doing good you're actually just supporting CRIMINALS! :-o If you want to support the Zero-G we know today, use the money on something Zero-G is actually still selling.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: No, my question was did ZeroG acquire a license to sell the compilation, i.e., did they clear the samples for their own use. Again, I suspect not.
Seems very unlikely.

Sorry, I don't know whom I tried to state my message to. Mainly for the OP I guess, though it's five years late, I know.

Sorry to be the second person to resurrect this dead thread, but I find the discussion interesting.

Unlike others, I tend to be conscientious when it comes to legality. That said, while I did download the libraries, I have not used them for work I'm selling.

However, there are two quite disturbing counterpoints.

1. The series was pretty popular in the '90s, despite Zero-G's website even says that they weren't supposed to be used commercially! The early Wipeout game soundtracks are made almost completely with Datafile sounds, for instance.

2. I noticed that there are several sound designers that release sounds based on this library. For instance, Zenhiser's Pure Oldskool Loops collection includes a slightly EQ'd version of a Datafile sample of the drum break from "Fool's Gold" by the Stone Roses!

Which also reminds me: has anyone ever discovered the complete list of sources sampled from for the libraries?

i got some of those cds in original form with booklet, but may you not use them for commercial use?
those are sample cds arent they?
so why buying them when you may not use the sounds for commercial stuff? :(

if thats the case pm me if interested...

i got official word from zero g, you are not allowed to use those samples in commercial work at all, those arent licensed sadly :(

too bad, guess imma sell my cds then, what else should you do with them? resting in nostalgic moments?

Caine123 wrote:i got official word from zero g, you are not allowed to use those samples in commercial work at all, those arent licensed sadly :(

too bad, guess imma sell my cds then, what else should you do with them? resting in nostalgic moments?
Wouldn't go as far as to say that's news; their biography page of their website DOES say that.

Has anyone been able to compile at least many of the songs and movies sampled from? I've been able to identify some, most recently the original 1987 "Beats and Pieces" by Coldcut, which sampled from "When the Levee Breaks", but a more complete list would be appreciated.

If your using these for jungle you can probs get away with it these have been rinsed in old school jungle same as jungle warfare etc and jungle uses samples from various places soil records ragga reggae old school breaks so you should be cool to still use them commercially , I'm after these my self and any old skool jungle cds , iknow is thread is dead but if anyone's still on here and knows where to get them or any old jungle library's let me know

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”