RIP Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

ATN69 wrote:I don't get it. I just logged into my account at Cakewalk to get the installers and serials, etc, for Z3TA+2 and some other stuff I have. I thought it might be a good idea to keep these installers and serials safe. There is not a single word anywhere at Cakewalk website about closing down. Nothing!
Also make sure you keep the 2.1 version of Z3TA2 since that one still uses the serial/registration method.
2.2 uses the online (trough command center) or offline (with a file trough their website) activation.

Mace404 wrote:
ATN69 wrote:I don't get it. I just logged into my account at Cakewalk to get the installers and serials, etc, for Z3TA+2 and some other stuff I have. I thought it might be a good idea to keep these installers and serials safe. There is not a single word anywhere at Cakewalk website about closing down. Nothing!
Also make sure you keep the 2.1 version of Z3TA2 since that one still uses the serial/registration method.
2.2 uses the online (trough command center) or offline (with a file trough their website) activation.
Yeah thanks! I installed these plugs thru the command center and that will for sure not work down the road. It's a good thing that Z3TA+2 is not one of those synths I used a lot in earlier projects.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Mace404 wrote: Also make sure you keep the 2.1 version of Z3TA2 since that one still uses the serial/registration method.
One can only hope that they have enough sense to do what they did for the final versions of z3ta+ and Rapture (1.5.3 / 1.2.2) and remove the copy protection altogether. In both these cases the serial is only needed to run the installer but the plugins themselves dont need anything anymore, in fact they dont even pop up the registration form anymore. (Its either been removed altogether or internally deactivated.)

Would really suck if they close shop and just leave the folks with a control center based auth standing in the rain. Because these 'control center' auths are virtually always Machine-ID based, which means if the response server goes offline, so does your ability to make your plugin work if/when your Machine-ID changes.

I really like Dimension Pro and Rapture, I think they are two of the best sounding VST instruments out there, I use Dimension all the time, the piano is really nice. Would like to continue using them for years to come so we'll see how this goes and hopefully they don't suddenly become incompatible with 'Windows X' further down the line. :?

Mace404 wrote:
Well there is that little silver lining. My cakewalk products are pre command center
As well as pre P5 update where they snuck in the replacement of full Dimension with the Dimension player.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Rapture with Silvestri's Mu3eum and Universal 120(?) is rapturizing

ATS wrote:
GaryG wrote:I am surprised that when things like this happen, some pissed-off programmer has never just dumped the code somewhere on the net, maybe even an unprotected build.
cause most likely they would go to jail and/or be sued into bankruptcy.
Only if they knew who it was... I'm not suggesting some guy logged in with his credentials and shared it on his personal dropbox. Don't underestimate the cunning of a pissed off IT guy. ;)

(but this is just chatter and nothing to do with Cakewalk so... onward)

ATS wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Shady business, first selling lifetime licenses and then stopping the development a few months later.. Reminds me of that Prodyon guy, although that was a one man company.

I'm 99.9% sure that was not their intention.
But what was the intention? So soon after the lifetime licenses sale, the development already has been halted.

Selling lifetime licenses in a situation where the company is already financially in a not so good condition is at least a little bit.. dubious.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:
ATS wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Shady business, first selling lifetime licenses and then stopping the development a few months later.. Reminds me of that Prodyon guy, although that was a one man company.

But what was the intention? So soon after the lifetime licenses sale, the development already has been halted.

Selling lifetime licenses in a situation where the company is already financially in a not so good condition is at least a little bit.. dubious.
Wish I had my money back, so I could put it toward another DAW.. or.. food. :P

glokraw wrote:Hey Gibson, sell the code to someone who will use it, or open-source the code,
no need for it to die, for some beancounter's 'just because'.
It would be at least a small show of respect for those who spent
hard-earned money, and many hundreds man-hours learning
and using your products.
FULL DISCLOSURE: this is a blatant plug for my product, Mixbus.

BUT: I take this subject very seriously. I have spent the last 9 years talking about this subject. The audio industry is in serious danger of lost IP, lost sessions, and other heartaches, unless we (collectively) do something about it. Open-sourcing some of these tools is necessary and inevitable, in my opinion.

I'm not suggesting that every bit of proprietary DSP & technology must be open-source. Harrison, for example, retains a lot of proprietary tech in our product Mixbus. But the basic features of session save/recall, import/export, and similar tasks .... this stuff must become more standardized and open, if this industry is going to mature. That is our goal with Mixbus. We adopted the Ardour workstation platform as a way to make this happen.

My first DAW was Cakewalk v2 for DOS (!). I have lots of sessions from Cakewalk, up to version 5 on Windows. I reached a point as an engineer/developer that I saw the dangers of a proprietary file format which held my data "hostage".

So .... after studying all the options, I championed Harrison's new product Mixbus, and we've continued to develop it for the last 9 years in collaboration with the Ardour open-source community.

We've seen some very interesting things happen. We were often approached by users who wanted to decrypt and reverse-engineer the ProTools session format. Harrison said "that is impractical, we won't do it". But ... one guy did it himself, and now Mixbus can open .ptf session files, and recover the basic audio data. :o

This might give you a glimpse of how the world would look if people adopted Mixbus and helped us to advance this project.

Here's the blatant plug: https://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/cakewalk-offer/.

I look forward to your thoughts!

-Ben at Harrison
Mixbus product manager

Nielzie wrote:
ATS wrote:

Or the last straw to hold on. Anyway, it was Gibson's decision, and, if some guys in the top think it's a bad idea to pull a brand which doesn't really create income through, then it is generally a good thing, because their other brands don't suffer from it, which is good for the clientel. Of course, a shame for Cakewalk, but, let's face it, they have been struggling for a long, long time now.

BenLoftis wrote: This might give you a glimpse of how the world would look if people adopted Mixbus and helped us to advance this project.

I look forward to your thoughts!

-Ben at Harrison
Mixbus product manager

I'd like to be able to recommend Mixbus as a second DAW, but it has consistently been unstable for me when I've demoed it on systems where Reaper, and even Cubase, are rock solid. For me, it seems like it has a long way to go in terms of product maturity, and that's consistently my experience with audio tools that have come out of linux. Let me be clear, I use Linux day in and day out and it is my work/coding platform of choice.

Reaper, OTOH, is rock solid stable across all platforms, can be installed portably, and while not open source, has a completely human readable (text) project file format with audio and midi data stored in industry standard formats.

I'm not convinced that open source is necessary here just for protection of data. Open formats allow your data to be portable while not exposing IP as open source.

For me, Reaper is hands down the best second DAW for anyone. It's not even my own first choice really, I prefer other DAWs depending on what I'm doing at the time. Whether it becomes your primary DAW is a function of what your preferences are. However, for the home user, in particular, it's really damn good value.

TBH, if the plug was pulled tomorrow, i don't think i'd really miss Z3TA 2, or Rapture, which own too. Still have the Z3TA 1 installer though, and a serial, so, i'd be able to use that anyway, because it doesn't rely on reg keys, or a software manager. But, in all honesty, there's at least 20 synths which came out after it, which sound better to my ears anyway. It's only a shame that they never ported the concept to a newer synth, which is more up to a comparison with the nice sounding soft synths present today.

BenLoftis wrote: I look forward to your thoughts!

-Ben at Harrison
Mixbus product manager

U-he and Reaper both let you insert your
serial, from a click in part of the gui, paste the ###s
and you're done. Your 'activation url' setup requires getting online,
and has failed in both my purchases, requiring a support action,
one of which I reported a couple hours ago.

Other thoughts? I really really dislike a session manager opening
at launch when I just want to get on with the music,
if I want a saved session, I'll load it. Does your car make you choose
which destination you want, from a list? Or head south
because you went south last time? :wink:

The audio and midi connection panels really need to be
on the same gui, and in the 'New Track' dialog,
please make stereo the default for midi tracks.
And please lose the whole default-synth thing. Removing it is
just another needless chore keeping me from starting a new tune,
or just enjoying the play.

And the vertical label texts on those audio/midi connection panels
are upside-down. Look at the vertical signage around town.
None of it reads bottom to top!

Is there a config choice somewhere to start-up without a bunch
of audio connections?

When I start reaper, it just smiles and waits for my command.
Right-click, choose 'insert plugin on new track',
an weee beee jammmin'...
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”