Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Woodgardens
KVRist

79 posts since 18 Oct, 2017

Postby Woodgardens; Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

Eyeing at the financial position of Gibson: they will try to procrastinate execution until they've squeezed the very last penny out of Sonar.
Nobdi
KVRist

224 posts since 28 Apr, 2010

Postby Nobdi; Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:31 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

BTW:
Wasn't the whole thing kind of obvious the moment Cakewalk sold Sonar with lifetime (!!!) updates ?!? Come on - a major DAW with free updates - forever ?!?
That smelled like old fish from the start didn't it ?!? :D
Kypresso
KVRist

103 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Postby Kypresso; Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

Nobdi wrote:BTW:
Wasn't the whole thing kind of obvious the moment Cakewalk sold Sonar with lifetime (!!!) updates ?!? Come on - a major DAW with free updates - forever ?!?
That smelled like old fish from the start didn't it ?!? :D

Well its worked for fruity loops for years, they give free lifetime updates.
Kypresso
KVRist

103 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Postby Kypresso; Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

The problem with Sonar is that when you install it, you need to get it authorised by their server.

So when they turn off the server you will never again be able to authorise any of their software.
lingyai
KVRAF

2079 posts since 27 Jan, 2011

Postby lingyai; Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

Jesus. Tuesday's news apparently still hasn't reached Thomann, which *still* has Sonar up for sale.

On Black Friday.

No mention of it being discontinued.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_AR_36062 ... rch_prv_14

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbXZoQ2uB3

Mmm.

Plugin Boutique and Audio Deluxe did remove and got back with me.
Last edited by lingyai on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

8970 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:10 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

lingyai wrote:Plugin Boutique and Audio Deluxe did remove and got back with me.

Perhaps it's time to edit the title and contents of this thread :shrug:
lingyai
KVRAF

Postby lingyai; Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

You're right. I've edited the title and the first post, adding an update.

elassi
KVRAF

1797 posts since 8 Sep, 2009

Postby elassi; Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:25 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

lingyai wrote:Jesus. Tuesday's news apparently still hasn't reached Thomann, which *still* has Sonar up for sale.

On Black Friday.

No mention of it being discontinued.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_AR_36062 ... rch_prv_14

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbXZoQ2uB3

Mmm.

Plugin Boutique and Audio Deluxe did remove and got back with me.

Why don't you drop Thomann a note? They're good people with rare habits to be found in business these days. :wink:

edit: Did it for you.
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

lingyai wrote:

Actually, that's not what I meant.

You went off a bit cocksure with your accusations, and many have pointed out that perhaps it's just an oversight, or delay, and that you might contact the vendors. Indeed, in the instances that you did contact the vendors, it has worked out well.

So, this is not a "hall of shame"; Rather, it's a 'hall of oversight', or a hall of "ooops! you're right. We'll remove it now. Please accept our apologies"

Why don't you wait until you've contacted all the vendors. If any of them refuse to remove the product, then you might have cause for such a thread. Until the, it's baseless accusation :roll:
lingyai
KVRAF

Postby lingyai; Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

lingyai wrote:

You went off a bit cocksure with your accusations, and many have pointed out that perhaps it's just an oversight, or delay, and that you might contact the vendors. Indeed, in the instances that you did contact the vendors, it has worked out well.

So, this is not a "hall of shame"; Rather, it's a 'hall of oversight', or a hall of "ooops! you're right. We'll remove it now. Please accept our apologies"

Why don't you wait until you've contacted all the vendors. If any of them refuse to remove the product, then you might have cause for such a thread. Until the, it's baseless accusation :roll:

First, please reread, I did contact them all.

Second, the claim that they were doing something very wrong didn't/doesn't require an assumption of malice; eyeing the real world consequences of mis-selling, it's still wrong. Over here in the UK at least it's against the law, even if you're a nice person. They have a professional responsibility to know what they are selling. They should not have to be prompted by a member of the KVR-reading public to remove those items in the first place, and to do so almost two days after the news broke. They damn well should be ashamed, unless one happens to take pride in mis-selling due to -- charitably assuming good intentions -- being unprofessionally out of the loop/negligent.

Had you been a trusting newbie who bought Sonar from them, you might well feel different, no?

Hell yeah they deserved a smack, but most importantly, a prod to fix their error ASAP, because 'tis the season when everyone is spending like crazy. Not everyone is a clued-up music tech forum reader. How many orders by trusting newbies could transpire over just an hour? Three of the vendors replied to thank me (perhaps thorugh alligator smiles) for letting them know of the news :roll: and all three did remove Sonar. Whether I caused that or not, I cant' say, and don't much care, as I'm not seeking a medal. But it is nice to see false commerce stopped in its tracks. If they did feel pressured by me, that's fine too.
Last edited by lingyai on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21378 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am Re: Hall of Shame: Thomann / others (who should know better) hawking a discontinued Sonar...

Don't Gibson/Cakewalk deserve a slap for dropping support but not informing their re-sellers? Surely its their responsibility.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

10164 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:53 am Re: Hall of Shame: Thomann / others (who should know better) hawking a discontinued Sonar...

If they kept selling it at a reduced price I would find that OK, frankly. Just because development is over, does not mean the current product is crap all of a sudden. But who would get the money if the company no longer exists? 8) Or maybe shops have stockpiles of Cakewalk licenses...
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6960 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 am Re: Hall of Shame: Thomann / others (who should know better) hawking a discontinued Sonar...

Mind you Thomann have had some of the Lindell, Black Rooster and Lexicon plugins at black friday prices for months, on a positive note
Get 20% off Melda Plugins with voucher: MELDA9346328 www.meldaproduction.com
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:22 am Re: Hall of Shame: Audio Deluxe, Plugin Boutique, others (who should know better) still hawking Sonar

lingyai wrote:
lingyai wrote:

First, please reread, I did contact them all.

Second, the claim that they were doing something very wrong didn't/doesn't require an assumption of malice; eyeing the real world consequences of mis-selling, it's still wrong. Over here in the UK at least it's against the law, even if you're a nice person. They have a professional responsibility to know what they are selling. They should not have to be prompted by a member of the KVR-reading public to remove those items in the first place, and to do so almost two days after the news broke. They damn well should be ashamed, unless one happens to take pride in mis-selling due to -- charitably assuming good intentions -- being unprofessionally out of the loop/negligent.

Had you been a trusting newbie who bought Sonar from them, you might well feel different, no?

Hell yeah they deserved a smack, but most importantly, a prod to fix their error ASAP, because 'tis the season when everyone is spending like crazy. Not everyone is a clued-up music tech forum reader. How many orders by trusting newbies could transpire over just an hour? Three of the vendors replied to thank me (perhaps thorugh alligator smiles) for letting them know of the news :roll: and all three did remove Sonar. Whether I caused that or not, I cant' say, as I'm not seeking a medal. But it is nice to see false commerce stoped in its tracks. If they did feel pressured by me, that's fine too.

I did re-read.

Your speculation i.e "If any were to reply", and insinuations of "alligator smiles", "false commerce"etc. undermine any feeling I might have that you are just providing a service.

You started from a guilty verdict, and worked backwards. I was born and raised in the UK, and that's not how it goes :shrug:

Hall of shame, indeed. Keep fighting the good fight :tu:
mutantdog
KVRian

1304 posts since 21 Sep, 2007, from The Infinite Void

Postby mutantdog; Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am Re: Hall of Shame: Thomann / others (who should know better) hawking a discontinued Sonar...

How many copies of Sonar do you think these vendors actually sell in an average month? I bet its probably close to zero.

Outside of a few software forums i really don't think many people care much about the Cakewalk news. I can easily imagine that these retailers would have been completely unaware had it not been brought to their attention by a customer. As mentioned above surely it's Gibson's responsibility to inform their resellers.
Subversia - Wrench EP out now.
Soundcloud - Twitter - Facebook
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)