Midi in Reaper?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lingyai wrote:What I do need is basic reliability and stability, the ability to loop record (in "take" mode), a serviceable piano roll and event editor, straightforward workflow, works well with Kontakt, and can handle midi-transmittting VSTis (like Cthulu, or Kontakt in its "send midi to the outside world mode", etc. ) which drive other VSTis.

In these respects, how if at all is Reaper lacking?
Reaper is stable-ish like all current daws, they don't typically crash by themselves but because of some miscommunication with a plugin. However, it's bloated with all the features you'll never need and a thousand more you've never even heard of, only two devs more interested in adding new features than in iteration and quality control, so there are more bugs than in software by proper companies with dedicated staff. The much-praised high update frequency helps patching them, but with their adversion to testing, each update also contains regressions and new bugs. Fanboys will stone my windows for this, but it is what it is and will never change.

It has a solid take system with lots of flexibility and various recording modes.

Piano roll is deeply configurable, feature-rich, snappy and extensible with user-submitted but mature, advanced scripts. It takes a bit of effort to get it to work in a sensible way (devs aren't really into MIDI and it shows in the default state), but once that is done, it can be really nice. The multi-track editing is well implemented, and there's an inline editor as well.

Event editor was unusably buggy at the time I gave up on Reaper (guess about a year ago). It was very basic and underdeveloped, so you might want to check it's current state if event list is important in your workflow.

I don't use Kontakt so can't comment on that. I did use various MIDI-outputting plugins and they all worked great, and using them is easy since can place them in the same track as the sound sources and do nice stuff like record the MIDI output and audio into separate tracks. I had no issues with any plugins, and it has a rock solid bridge so you can use 32-bit plugins if you like.

Wonder why I saved reliability as last? Because that just isn't Reaper's strong point, especially with MIDI. It used to have insane, ridiculous bugs, and as soon as they get they fixed, new ones appear. And you, the end user is the one to keep an eye on them before they bite you in the arse because no one else will. Checking basic functionality for regressions is not something I want to spend my music time on, so I first stopped using MIDI and the piano roll*, and eventually moved on completely. My hobby is music, not software, and Reaper pushed me more into fiddling with software than music.

* in the end this turned out to be a positive thing, I started recording live takes to audio, which has improved my playing and made me realize that there is some actual magic in performance that I never quite found in piano rolling about.

If you didn't notice, this is written by a person with negative, subjective experiences which might distort the view. Sort of an anti-fanboy input, so use your judgement.

Why don't you try FL Studio? If you are mostly want to work with midi and vsti (I do the same also!). The piano roll is really very nice in FL and the new line for patterns (I forgot its name!), it does make switching between patterns an easy task.

FL Studio Producer comes with Sytrus (I have Harmor as a separate buy), and sometimes I believe this is a great setup as FLS has a very good 'beat' making workflow.

Anyway, Reaper has more than enough midi but my problem with it is the strange mouse behaviour, like scrolling is zooming! Maybe I got used to Cubase workflow and shortcuts. I don't know, maybe there is a way to customize all those shortcuts without breaking the default important shortcuts? I think Reaper needs a serious time customizing it (it never stops also!). Oh and working with the score editor in Reaper makes me hate music! :hihi: pity they ruin it like this! Entering notes and editing with mouse is soooooo annoying.

Still Reaper has great advantages. Super fast to load and great to test plugs and ideas. I even can compose with it and editing midi for short pieces and riffs. I could put on the right side, the performance tab, browser (midi and samples), and the FX browser! It feels like S1 workflow now (but with much better CPU performance ;) ).

Anyway, I love all those three DAWs I mentioned, but still Cubase is the most comfy and it also has a great score editor besides all those great tools for midi and audio. I also got used for many years to the shortcuts and workflow in Cubase. All that made it very hard for me to ignore Cubase. I wish I could replace it with Reaper/FL Studio, but I couldn't.

I don't know if you would feel the same, but these were my experiences with those DAWs.

lingyai wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
lingyai wrote:ED, what if anything about midi (including VSTi issues) in Reaper do you find lacking / annoying?
Really, not that much. Perhaps articulation mapping would be nice, and visual editing of polyphonic aftertouch, but the rest is perfectly fine with me (after setting keyboard bindings how I want them and mouse modifiers to do what I want... and a few REALLY useful scripts).
Cheers. So, is all the rest of the basic stuff , which for me means a workable-with piano roll, CC automation creation/editing, routing from midi VSTis (like Cthulu) to sound-producing VSTs, event editor -- basically all there?
Yes, it's all basically there.

.jon wrote:
lingyai wrote:What I do need... [/i]
This is the most objective Reaper "review" I've read in a long time. Thank you.

I'm a Reaper user and I won't be changing for another DAW soon as I'm so used to Reamote that no other DAW has, but some stuff about it really gets me edgy. Especially MIDI! And my setup is 50% about MIDI. :x

What gets me edgy is generally MIDI recording. Cut off notes, notes appearing from nowhere... it's still buggy after more than 10 years of development. I don't get it. :x

And I will never get not having true mono tracks. WTF?? Almost everything we record is mono. So why there are no mono tracks?! I know how to make them mono but nevertheless... Cubase, ProTools... they all have mono tracks! Sometimes it makes me think Reaper developers are just not musicians or mixers, for that matter, but they are! Weird. :roll:
Last edited by DuX on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I never got any notes cut off or appearing from nowhere when recording live MIDI input in the 7, almost 8 years I've been using Reaper. Weird.

Reaper won't have "mono tracks" because a track is a track in Reaper (and having channels count in factor of 2 is a CPU optimization thing, actually). Just deal with it. :)

I still get this weird MIDI behaviour. Recording MIDI in Cubase is so much better. When I do it in Reaper I always end up stopping the playing, fiddling with the editor and shit like that. :( In Cubase I just keep recording tracks after tracks, rarely having to invoke the editor. I must say that it impedes my creativity. Ghost notes appearing everywhere. It's as buggy as hell. I'm using 5.18 currently and I'm afraid of moving forward because of what this user said. Same thing here. They made 5.20 with notation editor that I absolutely not need at all and I'm just afraid to move forward. Will the new updates bring less buggy MIDI recording? I've been keeping asking myself the same question for years. I'm on the verge of just forking out for Cubase, but I like how Reaper handles audio tracks. So flexible. Cubase is shit for audio tracks, in comparison. Well 8/9 is not that bad, actually, but the routing is so much better in Reaper IMO.

Yes, I'm dealing with mono tracks with track presets... it's cumbersome since I have 90% of mono tracks but I deal with it. The question is why should I have to deal with it instead of just doing it? That's why ProTools an Cubase are better.
Last edited by DuX on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Dunno what you're talking about unfortunately. Recorded tracks after tracks myself. What ghost notes, never had that happen? 5.65 prerelease here and everything is rock solid, and I do shred pretty fast on my keyboard...

Care to shoot a video of it happening?

Inserting multiple reacontrols when you need more then 5 cc 's ,save as template etc...all workarounds .
Cockos could give some more love to a dedicated (midi) inspector , directly accessible from the main gui .
Little things like these make reaper ...well reaper :D
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Right, when I'm high and trying to lay down tracks I'm going to shoot a video of it. Right. :hyper: Still, I can do tracks with Cubase completely wasted. 8) I'm saying this because I think there is something to it. Reaper is too confusing when it comes to just laying your simple little MIDI tracks. I really get ghost notes and *weird events* every now and then. Have you really checked your MIDI tracks? I get them all the time. Just simply recording tracks one upon the other, cutting them here and there and then checking with the event editor. I get all kind of shit there and end up deleting it for half an hour... and then saying "it's over, I'm watching the film or some shit". I get much less buggy MIDI in EnergyXT 1.41 that I still somehow use from time to time...

Before you jump to conclusions, I know MIDI implementation chart by heart, so "weird events" are not just my modulation or pitch wheel acting up. ;)

gentleclockdivider wrote:Inserting multiple reacontrols when you need more then 5 cc 's
That is only necessary if you want to do your CC automation from arrange. Which is not always necessary (and also - this makes CC updates dependant on your buffer size, which in-project MIDI events don't, as they follow the PPQ setting in Preferences).
DuX wrote:Have you really checked your MIDI tracks?
Of course I did. But I see what might be tripping you up (sic). Splitting a MIDI item during a note will make that note split across the two items, effectively giving you two separate note attacks there. I don't do such splits, or if I do, I don't really do it during notes, but do it to separate sections.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I'll probably end up just forking out for Cubase and recording audio in Reaper... or even better buying an Atari and Cubase 3 and recording in Reaper. That software is so rock-stable, it can work for weeks without having to restart it. I guess younger users are just used to instabilities and crap like that these days... no wonder with Microshit and all that. I expect my sequencers to be stable and working for days.

Yes, ED - it's the splits that make me go nuts. :party: Cubase just handles them so much more gracefully. I'm not a Fruity Loops guy who thinks every note should be quantised. Strings, for example just can't be quantised. Most of the sounds, except drums can't be quantised and Reaper just doesn't "understand' that. ;)
Last edited by DuX on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotcha. Yeah I just don't do them. Play it right the first time, you know. :D (Kinda hard if you're wasted, though. Which I tend not to be :P)

Kinda hard when you're wasted, indeed. :party: :hihi:

I don't have problems in recording midi in Reaper. I usually record what I play but I edit when necessary. Anyway, I also use the 'quantize' and 'humanize' functions. They are very good in Reaper :tu:

apondinthestream wrote:I find Reaper hangs a bit with Kontakt but is normally very stable.
Kontakt has a tendency to crash. In Reaper, you can set it to run as its own process so it doesn't take/hang Reaper along with it. In FX browser, right-click on Kontakt, choose Run As... then "Dedicated Process".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”