I hate this limited activations copy protection hassle. I will not buy this anymore.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seriously. I have to hire someone to manage all my licenses and that take about deactivating everything when I reinstall my OS or change my PC. Oh... and some are just lost after that. Because you can't activate them one time.

So I have to take care to deactivate this plugin, otherwise I lose my license at a new pc. This other plugin can't be reinstalled or you have to beg the developer to get a new activation because you upgraded your workstation.

I'm fine with copy protection. Fully understand the need. But Klanghelm (no CP), UHE (.reg keys or serials are also very nice) and so and show how you can have great success without torturing the user. I'm also ok with NI, at least I can just activate as much as I want it seems (I guess when you really abuse it they also have a look, but so far I never had problems)

I'm also OK with USB dongle. At least you have only to plug them in the PC.

Can this stop? I't really no fun anymore to buy stuff.

which plugin(s)? i've changed macs numerous times, without issue (including copying licenses, reinstalling a plugin, dealing with a usb dongle). what are you having a problem with specifically?

I totally love NI's system.
Plugin alliance is nice too. They give you limited activations but you could deactivate old ones remotely. No worries about broken computers!

Some from my personal experience:
my XLN audio licenses were deactivated with creator update and fall creator update. I could reactivate, but it thinks my updated OS is a new computer. I might run out of activations soon -_-
I believe ableton was deactivated with creator but not on fall creator, could be wrong though.
Soft ilok and soft elicenser get deactivated with both updates, but running the manager software once solved the issue. They didn't think it's a different computer.

I'm sure there's more, and this is just from OS update. Worse could happen with hardware upgrade.

Edit: my bad, c0nan corrected me about XLN audio. Their system is the same as PA apparently.
Last edited by shidostrife on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't like those systems, either. I mean, it is my computer, so I should be allowed to reinstall Windows, replace components etc. every day if that is what I want to do. I don't feel like asking developers for another activation just because my computer broke or whatever.
License codes are the right way, I can install my software a zillion times if that is what I want to do. I simply save the code in my word file for backup and no matter what my next computer is, I simply copy and paste my code into the field again and that's it.

I don't think the purpose of systems with limited activations is to fight pirating, but to keep clients from installing their licenses on multiple computers. But I think that should be allowed as long as they are my computers or the music software is only used by me. I mean, in the case of the good old license code, the developer could find out who I am if I passed that code on to others, so illegal distribution is not the problem.

I agree, OP.
I've had a couple hard drives crap out on me within the last 15 years and each time it's happened, I've lost a handful of good plugs due to their constricting copy protections.
As shidostrife mentioned, serial numbers and the NI and plugin alliance systems are decent. While I've grown to not have iLok, I also admit that I've lost a few plugins that use the iLok software due to a hard drive crash and burn. As a paying customer, this is an unacceptable situation...so I do try to avoid iLok as much as possible unless it's the only option such as with Eventide.

Email support for whatever plugin company your having problems with and 99.999% of them will help you out and kick you a new activation or serial, if not put em on blast on kvr forums. Problem solved

Russell Grand wrote:...I try to avoid iLok as much as possible unless it's the only option such as with Eventide.
Same here... Replaced my HDD a couple yrs ago and trying to re-install plugins which require iLok was a royal PITA... Now, I won't touch any plugin which requires it!

Agree with the OP 100%. Buy HoRNet, TAL, U-he, Memorymoon, Voxengo, DMG, and vote with your wallet.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Yet you are happy with a dongle.
Sure, why not ?
If you change computer or whatever you just plug it in and go.
No asking the dev for another activation or anything.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Afyer this BF and so many ilok plugins now being near free cost (seriously $1) how is it even viable as a platform, these companies all have ilok free versions.
Hybrid 3 was sold for $1, they shipped it with ilok, but anybody buying an maudio trugger finger gets an ilok free version of Hybrid 3, and it is not tied to the hardware either.
Non of this makes sense.
Duh

:oops:
Last edited by wickfut on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bungle wrote:Hybrid 3 was sold for $1, they shipped it with ilok, but anybody buying an maudio trugger finger gets an ilok free version of Hybrid 3, and it is not tied to the hardware either.
Non of this makes sense.
you get an activation code, which you still need to download ilok for don't you?

http://m-audio.com/kb/article/2195
egbert101 wrote: That is the kind of mentality we're dealing with here. :hihi: #BlameMillennials
if we have no choice but to have copy protection, I want a copy protection that I use once and then it remembers forever rather than one that needs to be messed about with each time I alter my computer drive or OS.

the yellow circle are my ilok and elicencer plugged into a £2 mobo usb cable. I have not needed to touch them since I built the computer 13 months ago.

I recently bought a new computer and had to install everything again. Most of the stuff went smooth from a serial, license point of view, but not everything. I love Arturia stuff as an example. You just handle it all in the Arturia Software Center. I use soft iLok and that worked pretty good as well.

It's those licenses that only allow 2 or 3 activation and where you have no chance to move any current activation to another computer that cause the biggest problems. Right now I have a number of plugins where I used up all registrations and I can only hope it's possible to deal with each of those plugin suppliers in case I run into trouble later.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Instruments”