AudioThing releases Fog Convolver - v1.5.1 - True Stereo!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fog Convolver

audiothing wrote: Thank you! Fog Convolver was built with creativity in mind rather than just a standard convolution reverb. I had so much fun recording samples for the factory bank and testing them.
And you succeeded all the way.

Not just with the samples coming with it, but with the GUI and the very easy and intuitive workflow :clap:

Zombie Queen wrote:
audiothing wrote: [*] Added: Global option - Resizable Window
It could be nice if the browser font didn't scale with the GUI, I find the bank and category columns too narrow, they cut many of folder names in my IR bank. Even better, maybe make them scalable like other columns?
Yes I agree, but unfortunately I'd have to completely re-do the browser from scratch, as it wasn't built with resizing in mind. I'll try to implement it in the next major update, but it's gonna take a while.
Neon Breath wrote:
audiothing wrote: Thank you! Fog Convolver was built with creativity in mind rather than just a standard convolution reverb. I had so much fun recording samples for the factory bank and testing them.
And you succeeded all the way.

Not just with the samples coming with it, but with the GUI and the very easy and intuitive workflow :clap:
Thank you! :)
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I finally came around to picking this up -- nice to have a convolution reverb that actually works and has a UI that makes sense. :)

What are the chances of a feedback feature in a future release? Or pseudo-feedback by convolving the IR with itself? I expect it would work nicely for several types of IRs.

foosnark wrote:I finally came around to picking this up -- nice to have a convolution reverb that actually works and has a UI that makes sense. :)

What are the chances of a feedback feature in a future release? Or pseudo-feedback by convolving the IR with itself? I expect it would work nicely for several types of IRs.
Thank you! I've been experimenting with feedback and convolution for a while (for another plugin though). It's tricky. For "convolving the IR with itself" you mean just having 2 copies of the same IR in series?

Let's say you have "one_tap.wav" as the current IR. Under the hood, you'd basically run one_tap.wav through the IR as if it were a sound, and then mix this result with the IR in your buffer (not on disk). Now it's a two-tap IR. It's like controlled feedback.

If I remember right, FL Studio had a wave editor with that feature. You could fake feedback by repeating several iterations, but there may need to be a limit on length since every iteration is going to increase the length of the resulting IR.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure this has any advantage over just feeding back in real time anyway. :hihi:

foosnark wrote:Let's say you have "one_tap.wav" as the current IR. Under the hood, you'd basically run one_tap.wav through the IR as if it were a sound, and then mix this result with the IR in your buffer (not on disk). Now it's a two-tap IR. It's like controlled feedback.

If I remember right, FL Studio had a wave editor with that feature. You could fake feedback by repeating several iterations, but there may need to be a limit on length since every iteration is going to increase the length of the resulting IR.
I see, I have to do some tests but it'll be (as usual with convolution) impractical as everytime you adjust the number of taps the plugin has to recalculate the IR. Usually a feedback parameter is something you want to play with in real time...
foosnark wrote:Come to think of it, I'm not sure this has any advantage over just feeding back in real time anyway. :hihi:
Well, that's quite complex to do with convolution. You can easily do a simple feedback before or after the convolution, but inside the convolution itself, it's very tricky. I'm still experimenting with it though.

audiothing wrote:
foosnark wrote:Let's say you have "one_tap.wav" as the current IR. Under the hood, you'd basically run one_tap.wav through the IR as if it were a sound, and then mix this result with the IR in your buffer (not on disk). Now it's a two-tap IR. It's like controlled feedback.

I see, I have to do some tests but it'll be (as usual with convolution) impractical as everytime you adjust the number of taps the plugin has to recalculate the IR. Usually a feedback parameter is something you want to play with in real time...
foosnark wrote:Come to think of it, I'm not sure this has any advantage over just feeding back in real time anyway. :hihi:
Well, that's quite complex to do with convolution. You can easily do a simple feedback before or after the convolution, but inside the convolution itself, it's very tricky. I'm still experimenting with it though.
Good luck...and thanks for the detailed explanations !

:tu:

I've had this plugin for a couple of years now and it's proven useful for nearly every mix I've done. I recently sent a 1 sample burst of white noise through a room emulator that I was about to lose access to but still needed to capture the IR. I never realized how important the filters and fades can be until I started trying to match the it with the source! Other than some transient stuff it's 99% there. Great work on a great plugin.

northamtrans wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:27 pm I've had this plugin for a couple of years now and it's proven useful for nearly every mix I've done. I recently sent a 1 sample burst of white noise through a room emulator that I was about to lose access to but still needed to capture the IR. I never realized how important the filters and fades can be until I started trying to match the it with the source! Other than some transient stuff it's 99% there. Great work on a great plugin.
Awesome, thank you for your feedback :)

Maybe there will be one more update sometime, to bring to life a VST3 edition...
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:10 pm Maybe there will be one more update sometime, to bring to life a VST3 edition...
My guess is we’ll see a lot of plugins being updated to VST3 versions this year now that the dev kit for VST2 has been officially discontinued by Steinberg.

thebutler wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:10 pmMaybe there will be one more update sometime, to bring to life a VST3 edition...
Absolutely, it's coming soon.
Tappistry wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:55 pmMy guess is we’ll see a lot of plugins being updated to VST3 versions this year now that the dev kit for VST2 has been officially discontinued by Steinberg.
Hopefully this would also force Ableton to support VST3...
We will update our older plugins to VST3 as soon as possible, but we'll also keep releasing VST2 versions (luckily we signed the VST2 agreement before the drama).

audiothing wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:52 pmHopefully this would also force Ableton to support VST3...
It sure has :) https://www.ableton.com/en/release-note ... beta/#VST3

mcbpete wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 pm
audiothing wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:52 pmHopefully this would also force Ableton to support VST3...
That's great news! :party:

audiothing wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:08 pm
mcbpete wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 pm
That's great news! :party:
I seem to forget about what is a seemingly vast userbase of Ableton. I'm relatively new to the DAW thing and started with Reaper. I haven't found anything I can't do with it yet for my needs.

It's hard to believe that the VST2 format has been around for 20 years now. :o

Return to “Effects”