Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5136 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:32 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

hersoot wrote:Is the original topic just a bad pun? It seems to have segued from "Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar" to "Gibson axes vs other axes".

This thread may have set a KVR record and stayed on topic for dang near 5 pages. Hell, Reaper didn't get mentioned till page 2 .. another record.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
Romantique Tp
KVRist

118 posts since 2 Nov, 2015

Postby Romantique Tp; Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:58 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

The Reaper boys must be getting too old for KVR.
travisvhagan
KVRer

2 posts since 6 Dec, 2017

Postby travisvhagan; Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:39 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Hi all, I’m sorry to hear about the end of development for Sonar. As a long time fellow Boston/Cambridge based software developer, we at MOTU certainly appreciate the effort and challenges that go into maintaining a successful DAW. We understand how important these products can be to our users for both their livelihood and creative pursuits. For those who are currently in search of a new DAW, I wanted to make sure that you’re all aware that MOTU offers a cross-grade from any other DAW software to Digital Performer 9.51, and in fact we recently announced that we're offering a 50% discount on all crossgrade purchases to $195 (regularly $395). This offer will be good through December 21 2017. You can check out the latest list of features DP has to offer here: http://motu.com/products/software/dp (http://motu.com/products/software/dp)
Lastly I wanted to share a way to contact me directly if you have any questions about any aspect of DP, I can be reached at: dpcrossgrade@motu.com

Travis Hagan| MOTU Tech Support
SparkySpark
KVRian

870 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

So now there are crossgrades to Cubase, Studio One, and DP as well. DP doesn't get a lot of recognition on KVR I think, but it is very much worth checking out, and the price is very good. In fact, 150 bucks for SO and (perhaps even better) 195 for DP is insanely cheap.

Another option for Sonar users is trying out something completely different. I for one like modular hosts and only do traditional sequencing, so I stay with the supernice MuLab, but there are many nice and solid indie DAWs out there.
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
Zombie Queen
KVRAF

4298 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from Warszawa, Poland

Postby Zombie Queen; Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

https://www.ericgarland.co/2016/09/27/g ... ng-moodys/
Gives you an estimate on how long the activation servers will be up.
GreyLion
KVRAF

2811 posts since 21 May, 2004, from Deep in the Heart of Texas

Postby GreyLion; Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Zombie Queen wrote:https://www.ericgarland.co/2016/09/27/gibson-rating-moodys/
Gives you an estimate on how long the activation servers will be up.

Interesting! Thanks for the link, ZQ.

And -- the article is more than a year old. My bet is that things have gotten worse since then, not better. Won't be surprised if they end up in bankruptcy next year, with the different parts sliced off and sold for pennies on the dollar. I don't know about you guys, but I spent many thousands of dollars on guitar gear over more than four decades. But I haven't bought a new guitar or amp (except for a Katana100, which rocks hard!) for about ten years. I've bought maybe three pedals in the last three years. My generation is done with buying hardware, and the ones behind us don't care.

Best bet scenario, I think, is that Cakewalk gets acquired and re-animated. But I can't really imagine who would want it at this point. Can't even be gutted for assets, as they're mostly all soft, and fading further into obsolescence every month.

So, yeah, the sooner we get the software that we bought downloaded and unlocked, the better for us.

...Though I don't foresee me re-installing Sonar again. Bet it's just going to take up a lot of useless space on a lot of peoples' hard drives.
glokraw
KVRAF

6150 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

A daw maker that lacks a high profile plugin base could do worse
than picking up Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3ta among others,
and bring them up to current gui and dsp standards.
Any code from Sonar that was useful would be a bonus.
Assuming the price was right, I'd love Reaper to have
a shot at getting those plugins in-house, and see who
submits their resume's :o :hyper:
mumpcake
KVRian

538 posts since 26 Aug, 2004

Postby mumpcake; Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

glokraw wrote:A daw maker that lacks a high profile plugin base could do worse
Any code from Sonar that was useful would be a bonus.r:

I hope the instruments find a good home as well.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/
acoustica
KVRer

5 posts since 16 Jan, 2014

Postby acoustica; Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:57 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Hi Fernando,
Thank you for the Mixcraft inquiry. I took many trips to Europe working for Cakewalk. It was so much fun back then. Please allow me to tell you and the group that we have extended the Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Crossgrade to Sonar users thru January 1. Only $99! There is a Sonar Crossgrade page on the Acoustica website with instructions to qualify. Please let me know if you need further assistance
Anthony
fmr wrote:
acoustica wrote:I just heard the news that Cakewalk’s Boston HQ offices have closed. My name is Anthony Conte (currently VP for the Mixcraft DAW), and I spent 19 years at Cakewalk, including 12 years as the Vice President of Sales. For decades I worked with many of the brilliant, incredibly talented folks that now find themselves out of a job. My heart aches for the current Cakewalkers and the thousands of SONAR users across the globe. Simply put, this is the end of an era in the world of MIDI and Digital Audio recording.

While I do not know the fate of SONAR or what Gibson’s plans are for Cakewalk, I can assure all the current Cakewalkers that their future is bright. For the last six years, I have been lucky enough to have landed at a like-minded company, Acoustica, makers of Mixcraft 8, an award-winning DAW for the PC. Not coincidentally enough, Acoustica freakishly reminds me of the early days at Cakewalk. A small but growing music software company made up of great people who are passionate, innovative, hard-working, and who have all become my family.

Acoustica is committed to making Mixcraft a DAW that SONAR users will want to seriously consider adopting. I would be remiss if I did not let you know that beginning now thru Cyber Monday, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio is on sale for only $99. If you’d like to take a look at Mixcraft, please visit Acoustica.com for more details or a free trial.

Thanks,
Anthony Conte

Hi Anthony:

We had the oportunity to work together, when I was directing the department of your distributor in Portugal. Glad to see you here, and that you are working at Acoustica. I've been following Mixcraft, and I will probably download the demo to take a look.

Anyway, I hope, for the sake of the thousands of users of Cakewalk, and because I believe that SONAR is a good product, which, in the right hands, can become a great product, that someone with a better vision (like what Yamaha did with Steinberg) pick up Cakewalk. The company had been unfortunate with the adoptice parents that it had. First Roland, who never had a vision about what they wanted from Cakewalkj, and just left it floating, then Gibson, which has a track of graves behind , as someone said (Opcode, Oberheim, Steinberger, to just name a few) and with nasty histories mixed. Very unfortunate.
SparkySpark
KVRian

870 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

glokraw wrote:A daw maker that lacks a high profile plugin base could do worse
Any code from Sonar that was useful would be a bonus.
Assuming the price was right, I'd love Reaper to have
a shot at getting those plugins in-house, and see who
submits their resume's :o :hyper:

Quite, but note that due to US legislation, CW might be more worth to G as a write off than if sold.

I'd be VERY surprised if someone buys anything of CW's product line. It's such a shame. :(
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
jonljacobi
KVRian

515 posts since 16 Jan, 2013, from USA

Postby jonljacobi; Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 am Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

There's some great stuff in Sonar. But it still crashes to this day. If it were rock solid, I'd say take it and put a new uber modern, scalable face on it and re-brand it.

It might still be better than starting from scratch, depending on what kind of coders were involved. If the code is well-documented and clear, yes. If it's obscure, job-security stuff, then probably not. Judging from the fact that it still crashes...
D-Fusion
KVRAF

3576 posts since 13 Jul, 2004, from Earth

Postby D-Fusion; Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

4298 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from Warszawa, Poland

Postby Zombie Queen; Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

ROTFL, it's all clear now. Gibson was afraid the guy would come over to deal with customer support, no wonder they decided to close everything and leave town.
kb420
KVRist

101 posts since 3 Jun, 2005, from Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Postby kb420; Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

That's the greatest and MOST honest review I've ever seen! Excellent! Lmao!!!
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

5136 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 pm Re: Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

it's not a real university .. unless it is.
words to live by
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)