any advice on using reverb in thrash metal?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wouldn't mind a couple of pointers.

Don't want to kill off the bone-cutting "thrash".

I mostly use Valhalla.

cheers = kevvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

There's so much advice on edm and band reverb, but little on getting hard sound.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Preface: I've never mixed a Thrash Metal song and I don't listen to much (though I did just toss on Slayer's Reign in Blood which I'll listen to on occasion). So take all this with a grain of salt....

I'd probably start by sticking to the old tried and true advice of: faster tempos = shorter reverbs. Probably short decay times (<1s) using room or ambience algorithms with lots of ER to get the instruments to blend in a room. At least for the main verb. Would probably just use it for blend, not to be really audible. If I wanted something more wet on a lead vocal or guitar for more creative purposes, I'd probably consider a short-ish delay with little feedback, or maybe a longer verb for contrast. For snare, you could use a different verb with a longer decay time or maybe even something with an inverse or gate algorithm.

Interesting question, subscribing though I don't typically produce thrash.

Have you checked out the reverb chapter in Mike Senior's "Mixing Secrets"?

His approach of using reverb for 5 specific tasks: blend, size, sustain, tone, and spread - gave me a whole new perspective on the subject. Also, on a heavier/faster tune I'm working on right now, I find a short, quick modulated delay from PSP42 delay gives the space I'd want from a reverb with more control.

Digging into Valhalla Vintage Verb lately I'm getting a really good sense of how the Attack, Size & Diffusion controls interact with the different algorithms, especially on for shorter ambiences.

Funkybot, Winstontaneous

I'm getting the idea.

speed, blend, extreme shortness, small delay (maybe)

I've never used verb in this way before, so thanks v much for the pointers

kevvvvvv :)

What do you mean thrash? Listen to Slayer "Hell Awaits", Sodom "Obsessed by Cruelty", Destruction "Sentence of Death" and you'll get the idea. Or you mean recent Metallica 'thrash'?

Exponential Audio's reverbs (Nimbus and R4) are extremely transparent.
You could try them. They add a great sense of space without creating mud.

I don't remember where I saw this nor it's trash metal

but there is a video on utube commenting about back in black where a lexicon (if my memory is not wrong) is used in the shortest time available.

in this video it's also commented that one of the first tests to try a reverb would be to put it the shortest time reverb available in guitars to see if they mud things up or not.

sorry I couldn't be clearer.

i get it
short
cheers

michaeltn86 wrote:I don't remember where I saw this nor it's trash metal
[...]
Long delay times will give you "trash metal" whereas short delay times will give you "thrash metal". :hihi:
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Wellll, mostly short..

Even the mighty Slayer used longer reverbs for effect in the slower sections, even on Reign in Blood. If you listen to the bit from 2.10 for example, quite a bit of length there (missus). Horses for courses and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Here is a good place for metal mix tips http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/foru ... sneap-foh/
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

This thread has been really really helpful with the tune I've been working on, which has a lot of fast metal guitar/bass chugga-chugga and weird spiney lead.

I never dared use such short plates before (no one told me to :dog: ), but they feel perfect. All the liveness, none of the mush.

Hooray

And huge thanks to all

:D

Most of the old school thrash bands were anti reverb. Producers needed to sneak it in moderation if it was used at all.

Return to “Effects”