Halion 6 & Absolute 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Oh joy. I can't wait. (sarcasm noted) lol
And that wasn't a rock thrown your way. I love the thing, but I still can't just open it up and make it do what I want. It's a wrestling match every time.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:so for now think of the synth zone like it is retrologue (because it actually in many way is) or if you don't have that, a basic synth. So, in the zone editor, you are making a patch for Retrologue ... only no fancy GUI. In the right hand list you can have a shitload of instances of Retrologue.
And layer them, split the keyboard, etc. Correct?

wagtunes wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:so for now think of the synth zone like it is retrologue (because it actually in many way is) or if you don't have that, a basic synth. So, in the zone editor, you are making a patch for Retrologue ... only no fancy GUI. In the right hand list you can have a shitload of instances of Retrologue.
And layer them, split the keyboard, etc. Correct?
yes, exactly. each with it's own "patch"

Hey SJ_Digriz: thanks for all the tips.
I got Absolute during the Black Friday sale, and haven't been able to spend as much time with it as I'd like.

Reading manuals is a little dry, and doesn't always clear stuff up.
IMO, it's much better to have a condensed walk-through from someone who's already been through it, like you've been doing.

felis wrote:Hey SJ_Digriz: thanks for all the tips.
I got Absolute during the Black Friday sale, and haven't been able to spend as much time with it as I'd like.

Reading manuals is a little dry, and doesn't always clear stuff up.
IMO, it's much better to have a condensed walk-through from someone who's already been through it, like you've been doing.
no problem. one further tip... do the sample zone last. Deciding how to set up layers and things in that program view in the upper right hand tab is not so much complex as you will get the "it depends" answer that everyone loves so much.

So to recap ... top right is a program, with signal flow going through the various modules from the top down.

The bottom right is where you can store the programs.

The top left panel is the presets and multi-presets area. You add programs from the right to the preset area on the left to give the program its audio routing and midi input parameters.

The middle area is all about the editing. It's actually not all that complicated, there's just a lot going on at once. Tune out the preset and lower program are at first. Just get your mind on the top right view and the middle editors.

Once zone editing for the various types makes sense, then we can talk about layers and the goofy routing you can get into. However, audio routing ... kind of like Cubase ... has some limitations you aren't going to like :) just forewarning.

and it's no problem sharing because just like happened today, you never know when someone will show you something you didn't notice in a menu you've been on a thousand times.

Have a HALion 6 question.

Been fooling around with granular synthesis. Not too different from Falcon so I'm pretty cool with it. However, I suspected that if I deleted or moved the sample I used from my hard drive that upon the next open of HALion 6, the sample would come up as missing and sure enough, it did.

So, here's my question.

1) Is there a way to actually embed the sample in the patch? I'm going to guess no since there is no way with Falcon.

2) If that's the case, where is the path for storing samples that will be consistent between each user so that the sharing of patches doesn't cause problems? I've looked where HALion 6 is installed but there's nothing there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, how do you save FX to a patch? It seems that FX are assigned at the mixer level but when you load a patch, the mixer settings remain from the previous patch.

What am I missing?

In the upper right hand panel, right click on the program name. You can export as a vst preset with samples.
EDIT: use the import/export menu

For the FX, make sure you are using the Program outputs/busses. It’s the blue guy at the bottom of the default program. Find that in the the big middle section. You can add as many busses as you want.

SJ_Digriz wrote:In the upper right hand panel, right click on the program name. You can export as a vst preset with samples.
Thank you very much. I'm assuming this then stores it in vst3preset format, which brings up another problem that I ran into with Softube Modular.

Some DAWs can't load vst3preset format. They require fxb. Now there is a converter for vst3preset to fxb which I have so that I can include both formats for my Softube Modular libraries. Will I need to do this for HALion 6 presets or if somebody has HALion 6 they won't have to worry about file formats?

Sorry but after my Softube Modular experience, I think about these things. Compatibility seems to be an issue for some synths.

SJ_Digriz wrote:For the FX, make sure you are using the Program outputs/busses. It’s the blue guy at the bottom of the default program. Find that in the the big middle section. You can add as many busses as you want.
Thanks. Mr. Color Blind here is going to try to find the blue guy. lol

I’m not sure it can save in fxb anymore. Probably have to search the manual for that.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I’m not sure it can save in fxb anymore. Probably have to search the manual for that.
Well, maybe it won't be a problem. I just realized that I'm testing this in MuLab that doesn't read vst3preset files and yet the internal browser built into HALion 6 is allowing me to load everything. So it's probably not an issue if somebody has HALion 6 installed. And for those who don't, I can always create HALion Sonic programs that they can play in the free player. So either way we're good.

SJ_Digriz wrote:In the upper right hand panel, right click on the program name. You can export as a vst preset with samples.
Tried it out. Thanks. Saves a folder containing the wav file along with the preset. So all I have to do is just zip everything up and it should be good to go.

HALion 6 is one deep son of a gun. This is going to take a while to get this all down.

Return to “Instruments”