RIP Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

melomood wrote: Well there is that little silver lining. My cakewalk products are pre command center
As well as pre P5 update where they snuck in the replacement of full Dimension with the Dimension player.
Are you able to get the full Dimension to work outside of project5?

melomood wrote: Well there is that little silver lining. My cakewalk products are pre command center
As well as pre P5 update where they snuck in the replacement of full Dimension with the Dimension player.
Oh YES>>> I guess you mean the original DXi that was made specially for P5,. then Cakewalk discovered how good it was and morphed it into Dim_Pro VSTi Win/Mac... and then wanted to charge existing P5 users for an upgrade to the very synth they used as part of marketing for the P5_" upgrade>>> then insulted us by giving P5_2 the very limited DIM_SE>>> pfff...
So I got both.. at least Dim_SE is VSTi hahaha!

The original Dimension is DXi only... but it works for me in DAWs that still support the DX format...Sonar ofc and Reaper ))))

I’m wondering if it’s worth going back and installing p5 so I can get dimension...

BenLoftis wrote:Hi glokraw,

Thanks very much for taking time to try Mixbus! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!
glokraw wrote:U-he and Reaper both let you insert your
serial, from a click in part of the gui, paste the ###s
and you're done. Your 'activation url' setup requires getting online,
Hmm, we send a license file via email, which you can then save & manage any way you like. So yes, in that sense, you must be online. But... how else would you receive the file except online? Carrier pigeon? :wink:
I'm not sure what mixbus's procedure is but glokraw seems to know, however, Reaper only requires you to obtain your license via email. That is not the same as activation. I can put that onto a USB dongle, for instance (along with the reaper install), and install it on a completely offline machine. There is no "activation" per se.

To me, online activation means that the license that I receive is tied to the computer that I installed the software on. If I want to run the software on a different machine then I have to use the activation procedure again. This is not the case with Reaper.

I think that it is important to clarify, particularly in this context.

edit:
I've made a continuation topic over yonder, as you suggest. Your pidgeon joke is pretty funny. But for the record, my elderly EZDrummer serial is printed on a CD sleave, and none of the pidgeons I've eaten could discern between an
offline DAW, and a more general duty firefox setup. I'd surely spare any
smart ones, considering the dainty portions of their breast-meat.

But if anybody could cook up a scenario requiring bird-life intervention,
I'd likely on the short list :wink:

Thanks very much for taking time to try Mixbus! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Hmm, we send a license file via email, which you can then save & manage any way you like. So yes, in that sense, you must be online. But... how else would you receive the file except online? Carrier pigeon? :wink:
glokraw wrote: I really really dislike a session manager opening at launch
The audio and midi connection panels really need to be on the same gui
and in the 'New Track' dialog, please make stereo the default for midi tracks.
And the vertical label texts on those audio/midi connection panels are upside-down.
Thanks, I've made a note of these. I don't necessarily agree with all your suggestions, but I understand that everyone has different (and valid) use-cases.
glokraw wrote: And please lose the whole default-synth thing. Removing it is
just another needless chore keeping me from starting a new tune,
or just enjoying the play.
Good point.

We should probably remember the last-selected synth. Then if you choose "none", it will stick that way for future tracks.
glokraw wrote:When I start reaper, it just smiles and waits for my command.
Right-click, choose 'insert plugin on new track',
an weee beee jammmin'...
Cheers
I feel the same way about Mixbus. How long have you used Reaper? I suspect that you'd feel similarly comfortable on Mixbus in a few days or weeks of use.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com

P.S. This might be off-topic for the current thread. If you want to discuss Mixbus's design decisions further, we should probably do it in KVR's Mixbus forum.[/quote]
Last edited by glokraw on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:

I'm not sure what mixbus's procedure is but glokraw seems to know, however, Reaper only requires you to obtain your license via email. That is not the same as activation. I can put that onto a USB dongle, for instance (along with the reaper install), and install it on a completely offline machine. There is no "activation" per se.

To me, online activation means that the license that I receive is tied to the computer that I installed the software on. If I want to run the software on a different machine then I have to use the activation procedure again. This is not the case with Reaper.

I think that it is important to clarify, particularly in this context.
When Mixbus is purchased, you receive an email titled

"Your Mixbus v4 Delivery Information" containing the message:

"Thank you for your purchase of Harrison Mixbus!

This email includes everything you need to install and license Mixbus. Please read it carefully."

In addition to the cross-platform download links, you get
a 'license link', rather than a serial number, so by default,
there must be some interaction between the installed app,
the supplied link, and the Harrison computers,
in order to register successfully.
From the Harrison email:

"License link:
When Mixbus prompts you for a license link, please copy/paste this text, exactly as shown, into the license field:"

That 'text' is a url ending in a 19 character
alpha-numeric string. In a cross platform studio,
this would have to happen for each computer.
The system has failed twice so far,
requiring help from tech support, which was timely and corrected
the issue. U-he and Reaper are also cross-platform, and serial numbers
always 'just work'.
Cheers

@glokraw:

Mixbus's "license manager" window is just a convenience to download the license file for you. If you want to click the link and manage the file yourself, you can do that. You can keep a backup and use it whenever you like. Just be aware that your name is encrypted in the file and you shouldn't share it with others.

Best,
-Ben

Return to “Instruments”