What's your easiest synth to coax nice sounds from?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My OB-6 desktop. Yeah, it's not a soft synth - and this is the sw synth area of KVR... but technically... the OB-6 desktop - is a sound module, not a whole lot different from the myriad sw synths I have used over the years. Difference is it is not using my Mac's processor. :D

What's so special about it? A sweet spot, that is wider than the grand canyon... and.. control over performance characteristics is now something that has set the bar high for anything else I play. Connected to a controller with aftertouch, an expression pedal, an external effect or two, etc.. and a single patch can turn into a lost afternoon. There are other synths that sonically are in a similar place.. but the (not so) subtle nuances of the OBs filters / oscillators with the aforementioned controls have jettisoned me into a whole other place. It's really changed the way I approach synthesis. To the OP... I find leaps easier to get to a sound I have in mind, with the OP than any other synth I have, or have owned.

My modular -- 2-op linear FM with Hertz Donut or E370, or Rings, or an E370 voice in cloud mode. Just about anything through Natural Gate can sound gorgeous.

Aalto is a recent thing for me but it's a lot like Hertz Donut through an LPG, with the addition of that waveguide -- I'm going to have to look into getting a Eurorack delay that tracks 1V/OCT (or just patch it in Disting) and see if I can get similar flute-like results.

Lush-101 was mentioned several times and I agree; it's easy to work with and can sound really nice.

Phosphor gets you from 0 to "nice pads" in a hurry too.

It's easy to coax nice mellow stuff from the Microbrute also, especially with just the (poorly named) "Overtone" oscillator.
Last edited by foosnark on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdoo wrote: Yeah, it's not a soft synth
That's completely OK with me.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Bazille and Repro-1 are blowing me away currently.

HG Fortune stuff is always amazing.

And three cheers for TAL uno!

RePro-5 is like one big huge sweet spot... it is hard to get anything but good sounds from it

Bazille is the synth that provides me the most creative satisfaction. When I first tried it, it seemed so obscure! Now it is like an old friend and we finish each others sentences :)

Return to “Instruments”