difference between Seagate , WD and Samsung ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm confused, you are looking for a Hard Drive or for an SSD?

If you are looking for a Hard Drive, stay away from Segate. They are not making good drives lately, I bought a 500GB one 9 years ago and hold me 8 years and pretty intense usage. Bough a 1TB one like 4 years ago, it died in 3 years with medium usage.

If you are looking for SSD, go with Samsung, plain an simple.

By my own experience, unless you are using huge samples (like kontakt uses) it's clueless to use HD or SSD. Small samples can be loaded with the same speed.

tom javelink wrote:By my own experience, unless you are using huge samples (like kontakt uses) it's clueless to use HD or SSD.
So what do you use? floppy disks? USB sticks? magic beans?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Choose Samsung, when it comes to SSD.. Consider to buy their Pro models as they have longer life span..

whyterabbyt wrote:
tom javelink wrote:By my own experience, unless you are using huge samples (like kontakt uses) it's clueless to use HD or SSD.
So what do you use? floppy disks? USB sticks? magic beans?
Punch cards FTW.

thejonsolo wrote:I have two 850 EVO 1TB and one 950 EVO M.2 1 TB. With Samsung Magic you can actually get a little boost. In all I find them to be faster than my previous WD Black NVMe. I notice in loading my orchestral template...that is where it really shines. If you are writing to the SSD a lot the WD Black NVMe gets really hot. Someone online mentioned that they had one fail as a boot drive.

I stick to mechanical drives for boot and Program files, but all of my data is on SSD.
OK - that's a little bit of an odd choice, to go with mechanical for boot. Generally, you'd want your fastest drive to be the OS and software drive, plus just about any (all?) SSDs will be more reliable than any mechanical drive. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting another SSD for the OS and software and dropping mechanical for anything but massive storage needs, which lets you get bigger drives with 5400rpm if you'd like that'd run cooler and quieter.

vitocorleone123 wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:
I stick to mechanical drives for boot and Program files, but all of my data is on SSD.
OK - that's a little bit of an odd choice, to go with mechanical for boot.
Little bit odd ? That's weird as f**k! :dog: :hihi:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Pretty much defeats the purpose of an SSD.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Seagate - best SSDs

shroom81 wrote:
vitocorleone123 wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:
OK - that's a little bit of an odd choice, to go with mechanical for boot.
Little bit odd ? That's weird as f**k! :dog: :hihi:
For some things, its entirely likely that fast repeated or continuous reading and writing of data is more important than being able to once quickly load the software that processes that data. Video editing or 3D rendering, for example. Maybe even sample loading; one only loads the DAW and plugins once, but the sample files have to be accessed repeatedly. It really would depend on the use case.
Since the cost of SSDs has dropped, the decision has become a bit less of an either/or, but a few years back I did it the same way on some systems because we needed the data throughput speed way more than we needed the system to boot 60 seconds quicker...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”