Insidious 6581 v1.2.2 released for Reaktor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Two years ago, I created Insidious 6581 for Reaktor, a very accurate and easy-to-use emulation of the Commodore 64 SID sound chip.

Today I have just released the latest update. Since the original release, this has had a major redraw of the UI, big improvements to the waveforms, more flexible table looping, much better CPU efficiency, new play modes, and a re-write of the filter to make it almost indistinguishable form the real hardware.

As suggested in the title, you'll need Native Instruments' Reaktor, but if you have it you can download Insidious for free from the Reaktor User Library.

I also have a video demonstrating the presets in the original release available on YouTube.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Fromwithin, thank you for your hard work! It looks impressive and by judging from the video, sounds like the beloved SID! Sadly, i don't own Reaktor. But a question, is it possible to do "hardrestart"? Like newer sid tunes have that very sharp attack on the instruments. Supertrucker by Reyn Ouwehand is an example. It sounds very tight, snappy, funky! The noise waveform in the bassdrum is like a fast tick instead of "Tschh" :-)

That's likely from having the table execute at 200Hz. Martin Galway (C64 musician) has already questioned me about a similar thing because he used 150Hz updates in his Wizball music. I very nearly allowed it in this release, but the 50Hz table updates are what give it that characteristic retro 8-bit sound, which is why I limited the table speed to 50Hz.

Really it comes down to thinking of a good way to put it into the user interface that doesn't make it confusing. I have an idea for a way to solve it nicely in the interface by linking the maximum table speed to the modulation clock speed, but I need to have a think about how best to display that.

I'll target that for the next version.

Of course, because Insidious is inside Reaktor, you could easily modify it yourself. Go into Edit mode, right-click on the Speed knob in the channel you want to change, and select '"Speed" Properties'. In the left panel, go to the 'Function' tab and change the Max value from 50 to 150 or 200. Now the table can execute at up to that new value and you can put a super-fast click in.

I highly recommend buying Reaktor. It's the best music product I've ever owned. The User Library has got thousands of free synths and effects. There's everything you could think of from emulations to physical models to reverbs to weird stuff.

This is very, very, very good! Nice to see you have a thread going for it here.

Thank you, clearly a huge amount of thought and expertise went into this one. This will be the de-facto SID instrument I'm recommending to people from now on. I'll keep an eye on those upcoming table update tweaks you mentioned ;)

This brings me back to my c64 days. Nice ensemble, it sounds very much like the c64 indeed. If not spot on!
It's also nice to see some familiar game sounds reproduced.

Thanks for sharing it :)

It sounds lovely. :)
Thank you.

Amazing! Thank you sooooo much! :love: :clap:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Set attack to a negative value for faster and more prominent transients .
The default value of 0 equals 1 ms .
It makes a huge difference
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Hell yeah, after a long long search for a 64bit VST SID (I have Chipsounds but struggle to get C64-ness sounding noises from it) I just happened to come across the previous version of Insidious last week so it's a great coincidence to see it's just been updated. Thanks man :)

a reaktor classic :)

gentleclockdivider wrote:Set attack to a negative value for faster and more prominent transients .
The default value of 0 equals 1 ms .
It makes a huge difference
I didn't realise that -1 was effective. That would have saved me tearing my hair out on a bug with the modulation parameters to do with the 1ms problem. I'll do a few tests and might be able to simplify a few things. I have another new release pending with an extra UI display for the PWM, so I'll hold that back.

That sounds great, maybe some kind of switch for old/newschool? I just might have to get reaktor now.. I really wanna try this one out! Was thinking about buying it at black friday. But did not, gaah! Must... Have... SID.. ;-)

Charlie Firpo wrote:That sounds great, maybe some kind of switch for old/newschool? I just might have to get reaktor now.. I really wanna try this one out! Was thinking about buying it at black friday. But did not, gaah! Must... Have... SID.. ;-)
It's actually been quite tough to keep Insidious pure and accurate to the original as there is such a temptation to "fix" a load of things.

For future stuff, I've been thinking of having an 8580 mode and then making a separate SuperSID-type thing.

The SuperSID plan sounds extremely interesting. I agree that the authentic version you have constructed is the highest priority one to get right, especially for it to have both the authentic sound and inner workings yet a really usable GUI like this ensemble does indeed have :) -- but a separate instrument where you build upon that and let your ideas fly without these restrictions is a great idea.

Great. I was wondering when this would get an update just recently actually.
Is there any new presets this time around?

Return to “Instruments”