Trackpad or trackball mouse for your sequencer?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Using a 27" imac and need to cover some ground yet have some precision and smoothness. I've gone through two trackballs now (Logitech Marble Mouse/M570) and still haven't quite found one as smooth as my old red one I had years ago. Was just putting my hands on the MX Ergo and it felt great but they didn't have it hooked up. Also seen quite a few guys using the Kensington Expert. Hmm....

Wondering if I should just get used to using my trackpad and using hot keys since I own both an imac and mac air :shrug:

If you can list your sequencer and mouse of choice.

Elecom huge trackball is great too. Now that nice movement buffer is better on logitec (soft bounce on end moves) and I do own the M570 at work but for more precise movements the bigger ball helps on the Huge trackball and it is a finger trackball vs thumb. The software is more antiquated. Battery life so far decent. Two AA batteries vs 1 AAA. I do have some issue when start up from turned off. I have to replug my receiver. Not sure if that is just my receiver or Win 10 bug. But I wouldn't go back to Logitec. Thumb tracks wear you down more. Overall my fav device i also had a expert mouse but it never felt fast enough with buttons and all spread out.

Hey Admin - this should be moved to Computer Setup and System Configuration...

What size screen are you using? Does the Elecom cover ground quickly? looks nice and like it'd fit my hand.

Been doing a bit of research and it looks like some guys are using both a tablet/pen with say a Kensington Expert. I've been playing around with using my trackpad and logitech marble (no scroll ugh) but still not quite there for precision. Finding I need to cover more ground on a 27" screen.

I've been using Wacom tablets for about 10 years now. Couldn't go back even if I wanted to

Before that, I used a Kensington 'expert'.

What size screen are you using? Does the Elecom cover ground quickly? looks nice and like it'd fit my hand.
28" vizio
I have both versions the Huge is great for larger hands. I started with the small trackball wanting to leave M570 cause I ended up feeling the claw grip form work and noticed hand fatigue - switching up between the 2 helped alot. work vs home. (i keep the smaller now for travel)

I use the Huge mainly at home the precision is great on par with Logitech, but again may feel stiffer at 1st coming from Logitech. I got it slightly used on Amazon works perfectly outside the replugging the receiver when starting from cold.

Huge
https://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-Wireless- ... +trackball

Smaller
https://www.amazon.com/Elecom-trackball ... +trackball

However for my DAW
I use an old tranzport I found used and I picked up a nobcontrol as my main midi.
My keys are smaller - have k-board so can travel.

Nobcontrol was expensive but for ultimate precision via knobs + sliders - there is no comparison. I find that the midi with less resolution tends to jump numbers - depends on how well the dev created the software. But for Nobcontrol mostly, its one to one when turning the knob.
http://nobcontrol.com/

I've gone the other way - I had a wacom Intuos 3 back in school for animation but travlleing a larger monitor takes a long time. Sometimes tweaking vsts its gets fidgety in my experience.

geqfreq wrote:I had a wacom Intuos 3 back in school for animation but travlleing a larger monitor takes a long time. Sometimes tweaking vsts its gets fidgety in my experience.
Unless you were using it in mouse mode, I am not sure I understand your comment.

The way my Wacom is set up, I can be at opposite corners of my 27"screen with a pretty small wrist movement :shrug:

tweaking vsts its gets fidgety in my experience.
snag a knob or a slider with a pen see how it goes...

and yes you can jump around but i felt that now you are looking where you are on a wacom and check the monitor too.
Last edited by geqfreq on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geqfreq wrote:
28" vizio
I have both versions the Huge is great for larger hands. I started with the small trackball wanting to leave M570 cause I ended up feeling the claw grip form work and noticed hand fatigue - switching up between the 2 helped alot. work vs home. (i keep the smaller now for travel)

I use the Huge mainly at home the precision is great on par with Logitech, but again may feel stiffer at 1st coming from Logitech. I got it slightly used on Amazon works perfectly outside the replugging the receiver when starting from cold.

Huge
https://www.amazon.com/ELECOM-Wireless- ... +trackball

Smaller
https://www.amazon.com/Elecom-trackball ... +trackball

However for my DAW
I use an old tranzport I found used and I picked up a nobcontrol as my main midi.
My keys are smaller - have k-board so can travel.

Nobcontrol was expensive but for ultimate precision via knobs + sliders - there is no comparison. I find that the midi with less resolution tends to jump numbers - depends on how well the dev created the software. But for Nobcontrol mostly, its one to one when turning the knob.
http://nobcontrol.com/

I've gone the other way - I had a wacom Intuos 3 back in school for animation but travlleing a larger monitor takes a long time. Sometimes tweaking vsts its gets fidgety in my experience.
Does the Elecom not feel smooth (you said stiffer)? The M570 I have was not nearly smooth enough for me. Tried cleaning it which helped a little but it still was a bit grainy compared to my old red trackball (lost forever).

That Nobcontrol looks intense. I'd really have to get my hotkeys down before that kind of purchase. Bet it's nice for mixing.

Does the Elecom not feel smooth (you said stiffer)? The M570 I have was not nearly smooth enough for me. Tried cleaning it which helped a little but it still was a bit grainy compared to my old red trackball (lost forever).
The ball has smooth movements but you know how a certain newer Android and Apple have that software return when zipping a finger - it has less smooth bounce so to say when making movements in the software itself. the Hardware is good quality. You would tell a little at 1st. The ball itself is larger on the huge making it much more precise. Expert Mouse has the largest Trackball = so the most precise in terms of movements.

I'd probably have to just get one to see what you're saying. Looks a bit more enticing than a thumb track ball right now. Thanks bud.

geqfreq wrote:now you are looking where you are on a wacom and check the monitor too.
With a Wacom, you don't need to look at the tablet, any more than you have to look at the mouse-hand while you are moving around.

Track pads are way more stressfull for your arm IMHO, trackbal allow your wrist to be relaxed.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Track pads are way more stressfull for your arm IMHO, trackbal allow your wrist to be relaxed.
To a certain extent, but they still cause pronation of the forearm which is best avoided for anything but short periods

Track pads are way more stressfull for your arm IMHO, trackbal allow your wrist to be relaxed.
Totally agreed. Takes up no space I can use a trackball. Dont even need to a table to be productive. You don't have to move your arm all around like a mouse and a keyboard or a trackpad.

I see a trackpad style being greater in say Raven monitor and that would take out space and extra gear.

geqfreq wrote:
You don't have to move your arm all around like a mouse and a keyboard or a trackpad
You don't have to move your arm with a trackpad, either :roll: The only real advantage of a trackball over a trackpad is the mechanic of traversing larger distances with a flick of the ball. It still has all the issues related to forearm pronation, and the added stresses of constant clicking while in that position.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”