why are live and bigwig the only DAWS to have clip launchers ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All but D and E..

I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for D
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for D
Are you, by chance, a member of Nickelback?

telecharge wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for D
Are you, by chance, a member of Nickelback?
I ghost write all of their one song.

I'll bite a little ...its not cheating looking for a loop to manipulate or spring another idea which forms into something better

sampling in any form is a type of composing in itself...its just that the ease of use of DAWS has made everything one dimensional
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Ok, by context I get the notion that it's about importing some clips from the outside world that are in whatever tempo they're in match the tempo of your project. (Which is only ever gwyne be one tempo, period. Unlike real music, quantized to exactly robotic exactness.)
Yeah, never occurred to me to work like that. There appears to be an assumption that everybody has to cater to that way of working or they're not up to modern standards. One supposes that developers of software at this level know their market and the loops kiddies ain't it for Logic Pro. :P

Besides the snark, Cubase has musical time in the Audio Pool and Sample Editor which does that. Yeah, it has to be set up. There are reasons for that. There really is a type of "clip" or audio file which is made in a way to where this is actually feasible, where there are obvious transients indicating 'beat'. Most of the world's audio files are not that, I feel confident to say. So while the person who only every does this kind of thing may believe it's the whole world, it's not.

damoog wrote: sampling in any form is a type of composing in itself...its just that the ease of use of DAWS has made everything one dimensional
edit: I'm sure upon reflection I don't know what that actually stated.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is however, the prospect of launching 'empty clips' that simply contain MIDI routing, control messages and VSTi's. You could actually play an instrument (I know, it's a dated concept) while your clips followed each other and automated your routing, effects and so on.

Ableton Live had an idea that almost approximated that - then they decided you could only have one channel and it's name is '1'. But you can still scrapbook up a collage with it if you want to be bothered.

Protocol_b wrote:There is however, the prospect of launching 'empty clips' that simply contain MIDI routing, control messages and VSTi's. You could actually play an instrument (I know, it's a dated concept) while your clips followed each other and automated your routing, effects and so on.

Ableton Live had an idea that almost approximated that - then they decided you could only have one channel and it's name is '1'. But you can still scrapbook up a collage with it if you want to be bothered.
Cantible and Mainstage are for that ... just like Ableton and Bitwig are for a certain workflow. Trying to jam that "writing" technique into linear DAWs is counterproductive IMO.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I'm having one of those .. "if you can't say anything nice, don't say it" conundrums ... So we'll leave it at clip launching is not needed in any DAW I use.
Thank the lord, another musician in the forum :phew:

telecharge wrote:Loop based music is..

A.) Like Lego blocks for kiddies
B.) Cheating
C.) The antithesis of any artist with integrity
Cause no real musician has ever repeated a phrase or pattern of notes... ever...

Sure, DJs play records over and over .. musicians play instruments over and over.

thread successfully derailed ... :lol:

Okay, if I have started anything here, I am truly sorry. I was just being cheeky.

Is this really worth arguing over AGAIN?

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Protocol_b wrote:There is however, the prospect of launching 'empty clips' that simply contain MIDI routing, control messages and VSTi's. You could actually play an instrument (I know, it's a dated concept) while your clips followed each other and automated your routing, effects and so on.

Cantible and Mainstage are for that ... just like Ableton and Bitwig are for a certain workflow. Trying to jam that "writing" technique into linear DAWs is counterproductive IMO.
fyi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTLW28zpV28
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Is there anyone here that uses this? I own Live Intro still so I can use Live when I'm in the mood, but I'm not often in the mood for it lately. I may consider Playtime if I know how it works out for others.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have the free Live Lite from my interface. Watched some youtube videos and tried working with the session view myself.

I finished one very simple intro track (1:01) in one day.
With Cubase, I could finish fully arranging one or two regular-length songs for the time taken.

So no, not everyone wants clip launching. Linear DAWs have their own set of users, different from clip launching "beatmakers" or "producers", and we don't need clip launching integrated in our DAW.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”