Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

elassi wrote: Lovely.

Wait, prefer the spanish expression: muy amable. :)
I'm not spanish, but portuguese is close enough... "amable" doesn't mean lovely, its more "kind" or "friendly". The word for lovely is "encantador" / "encantadora" or "precioso" / "preciosa".
Fernando (FMR)

Linguistics/semantics is always facinating. One of the upsides of the Kvr is that its international, always change to learn new things.
I think French greetings routine enchanté(e) is maybe more than just "lovely", its spellbound (enchanted). I don´t know if Portuguese use the word like French do in greeting situations.
I would translate lovely to ravissant or cher in French. But let the native speakers (Arturia, e.g. ;-) correct if I´m wrong.
BTW, Gollum/Sméagol used the word precious/précieux often to describe his relation/love to the ring. The word "precious" has a special charge, I think.

hellomrbike wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote:So, the current incarnation of the Moog Modular, is it decent? How do the filters sound?
I don't think that they've updated the Moog Modular since V3/V4 in terms of the filter models, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I can confirm going back and forth between the versions in V3/V4 and V5 that the sound is still the same. One can try some of the presets common to each version to validate this, for example (the presets designed by Jean-Michel Blanchet tend to be carried over between versions, I notice).

In fact, I found that pretty much all of the pre-V5 synths (CS-80, ARP, Modular, Prophet, Jupiter, SEM) have retained the same relative sound as before, with the exception of the Mini V, which I believe got a new filter model. From the patch notes, it seems they haven't modified the code bases of any of these synths, aside from squashing bugs and updating the GUIs.
I have VCollection 4.1 and Analog Lab 1, 2 and 3. I was testing for a long time the same presets on AL1 and AL2 versions and they sounded different. I don't know if better of worse. My favourite preset of AL1 sounds too different and traumatized me.
Cheers.

Harry_HH wrote:Linguistics/semantics is always facinating. One of the upsides of the Kvr is that its international, always change to learn new things.
I think French greetings routine enchanté(e) is maybe more than just "lovely", its spellbound (enchanted). I don´t know if Portuguese use the word like French do in greeting situations.
I would translate lovely to ravissant or cher in French. But let the native speakers (Arturia, e.g. ;-) correct if I´m wrong.
BTW, Gollum/Sméagol used the word precious/précieux often to describe his relation/love to the ring. The word "precious" has a special charge, I think.
An example of the use of the word in spanish could be: "es muy linda, verdaderamente preciosa", meaning "you are very beautiful, really lovely".

But in portuguese the word has a very different meaning, more close to the way employed by the Gollum (preciosa = precious, unvaluable). We have several words common to portuguese and spanish that are equal or very similar, yet have quite different meanings.

Enchanté (in portuguese "encantado") may mean spellbound, but also delighted (the same double meaning exists in both languages, and also in spanish). But in french is also used as a greetings/salutation word (was used in portuguese too, but somehow is being abandoned). Usually this salutation was/is spoken by gentlemen when they are presented to a lady.

"Ravissant/ravissante" in portuguese could be "belíssimo/belíssima" (close to italian), but we could also use "encantador/encantadora" (close to spanish), if employed for people (une fille ravissante). However, if employed for things or acts, the meaning is more like delightful or amazing (il a confectionné un plat ravissant).

Sorry for the off-topic. Ending now :clown:
Last edited by fmr on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

regarding the DX7 V ...

Is it possible to operate in a 'direct emulation' mode, so that any modern additions by Arturia are not available ? This would make the DX7 V a pretty kool patch editor .... assuming it can export the right preset sysex data at least.

Daags wrote:regarding the DX7 V ...

Is it possible to operate in a 'direct emulation' mode, so that any modern additions by Arturia are not available ? This would make the DX7 V a pretty kool patch editor .... assuming it can export the right preset sysex data at least.
You can just use the original DX7 features, of course, but there isn't a button to restrain the use to just those AFAIK, if that's what you mean. You would have to do the restrain yourself.

Anyway the DX7 will not export SYX banks, just its original format. SYX format is import only.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:

You can just use the original DX7 features, of course, but there isn't a button to restrain the use to just those AFAIK, if that's what you mean.
yep, that's what I mean.
fmr wrote: Anyway the DX7 will not export SYX banks, just its original format. SYX format is import only.

ho-hum, missed opportunity right there.

Franvu wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote:So, the current incarnation of the Moog Modular, is it decent? How do the filters sound?
I don't think that they've updated the Moog Modular since V3/V4 in terms of the filter models, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, I can confirm going back and forth between the versions in V3/V4 and V5 that the sound is still the same. One can try some of the presets common to each version to validate this, for example (the presets designed by Jean-Michel Blanchet tend to be carried over between versions, I notice).

In fact, I found that pretty much all of the pre-V5 synths (CS-80, ARP, Modular, Prophet, Jupiter, SEM) have retained the same relative sound as before, with the exception of the Mini V, which I believe got a new filter model. From the patch notes, it seems they haven't modified the code bases of any of these synths, aside from squashing bugs and updating the GUIs.
I have VCollection 4.1 and Analog Lab 1, 2 and 3. I was testing for a long time the same presets on AL1 and AL2 versions and they sounded different. I don't know if better of worse. My favourite preset of AL1 sounds too different and traumatized me.
Cheers.
Which presets might that be?
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I heard DX7V can write sysex also, but its disabled in Demo mode. What are some of the DX7 patches that don't import right?
fmr wrote:

You can just use the original DX7 features, of course, but there isn't a button to restrain the use to just those AFAIK, if that's what you mean. You would have to do the restrain yourself.

Anyway the DX7 will not export SYX banks, just its original format. SYX format is import only.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I created a pretty extensive preset and feature video for the DX7 V. Check it out if you are on the fence about what it can do, just give this a quick thumb through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYevkO9vlkI
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Thanks for doing that video. :) I have no idea about the original DX7, but, that sounds really good to me.

chk071 wrote:Thanks for doing that video. :) I have no idea about the original DX7, but, that sounds really good to me.
Trust me, you're not missing anything. And I still have mine in the basement. It'll probably be down there when they bury me.

Don't get me wrong, I made a lot of music with it after I sold my Korg Poly 61. But I never really liked it. I thought it was an ugly sounding synth. I still do. I think FM8 sounds a little better and Sytrus sounds much better. I haven't checked out the DX7 V yet but my gut tells me that I'm going to like it better than the original too.

Hearing a lot of 80's "signature" sounds there. But, dunno. :) I never really felt attracted much by pure FM synthesis. I think i always did well with "normal" subtractives with FM functionality.

Norrin_Radd wrote:I created a pretty extensive preset and feature video for the DX7 V. Check it out if you are on the fence about what it can do, just give this a quick thumb through.
Worth noting... the 432 DX-7 presets are included in the Analog Lab. You don't get access to full editing, but can change / save 19 of the DX-7 parameters. For simple timbre editing, it's pretty extensive..

Franvu wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Cheers.
Really? That's interesting. Which ones sounded the most different?

For context, I have V Collection 3 mixed with a few updated versions (mostly for GUI usability purposes, like the Modular), and one of the things I did was to compare some common presets back and forth to see exactly how the sounds changed. Generally speaking, I found that any differences could be chalked up to elements like filter cutoff, envelope / LFO emphasis, etc. that could be tuned away, rather than differences in the harmonic content that would come from a change in oscillator or filter modelling, for example.

Return to “Instruments”