Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

all that because he couldn't find the monitor button? I'd love to see him use Reaper ...
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

You wonder what he's planning to do with that guitar.

SJ_Digriz wrote:all that because he couldn't find the monitor button? I'd love to see him use Reaper ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Watched some of his other videos. This guy is f*ckin' hilarious! :lol:
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Watched some of his other videos. This guy is f*ckin' hilarious! :lol:
The guy is hilarious !!!

GreyLion wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:https://www.ericgarland.co/2016/09/27/g ... ng-moodys/
Gives you an estimate on how long the activation servers will be up.
Interesting! Thanks for the link, ZQ.

And -- the article is more than a year old. My bet is that things have gotten worse since then, not better.
You don't have to guess, Moody's downgraded their rating again a few months ago. Not looking good for Gibson. https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys- ... -PR_371298

ilmai wrote:You don't have to guess, Moody's downgraded their rating again a few months ago. Not looking good for Gibson. https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys- ... -PR_371298
From the report, it looks like some third party is going to have to ride to Gibson's rescue with a huge infusion of cash within the next half year. If not, they're dead. I can't imagine that anybody with that kind of money would rather give Gibson's incompetent management more time to continue to fail at their jobs, rather than hang around and acquire the bits and pieces for much, much less. I can see Gibson Guitars being resuscitated on a smaller scale, just because the brand is iconic. Cakewalk, not so much.

He's one of the reasons it's so hard to take 99% of the "<insert any program name here> is a buggy piece of shit" posts seriously. It's inordinately weighted to ID ten T errors. I've seen numbers from help desks where the analysis was something like 90% authentication errors (user locked himself out, or didn't take an action that he/she was notified to take, forgot password etc..) 9.999% user didn't understand how to do what it is they were trying to do. .001 bug reported to dev team. This was out of a few million calls or so. Out of the bugs .. the vast majority were trivial, cosmetic or OBE.

I'm not saying software doesn't have bugs by the way, just that the user experience is grossly skewed in the reporting.

For example on the Cubase forum some user is indicating a showstopper thing in 9.5 so he can't upgrade.. which is just a feature he doesn't understand ... it also works correctly .. and it will even work the way he wants if he sets a setting... yet he argues for post after post that it's broken. EDIT: and of course he's called Borg developers and anyone pointing this out idiots.

...so you are saying Sonar is not buggy?

I think it was illuminating when a beta tester said in this thread that when projects were getting large, unreproducible and seemingly random bugs started to appear.

In case it is in fact a stable host, then I am actually considering installing Sonar Home Studio from CM, as a backup host for times when my main host doesn't recognise some VST plugin. (Is this a bad thing? I reckon the audio handling and mixing parts must be very good even in Home Studio and as far as I understand it allows for VST plugins.)
Go MuLab!

I used Sonar and completed many large projects doing peoples band demos. Did it have bugs? .. sure. Were they dead center showstoppers? No. The dude in the video is delusional if he thinks its any easier to monitor a track in any other DAW. He wasn’t ranting about a bug, he was ranting about ease of use.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I used Sonar and completed many large projects doing peoples band demos. Did it have bugs? .. sure. Were they dead center showstoppers? No.
Ok thanks for clarifying. Actually I have never noticed a bug in MuLab. (Of course it must be a much smaller program than Sonar but it's impressive anyway. )
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:I used Sonar and completed many large projects doing peoples band demos. Did it have bugs? .. sure. Were they dead center showstoppers? No.
Ok thanks for clarifying. Actually I have never noticed a bug in MuLab. (Of course it must be a much smaller program than Sonar but it's impressive anyway. )
I'm a Cubase user by the way. But, if someone brings me a Sonar project, or asks me to work in ProTools or a plethora of other DAWs, I'll just get on with it. All this "showstopper" and "Can't possibly use this" stuff is BS. I'm not even a professional, I just pretend I am on weekends and when I free time to help local bands and ensembles.

I agree with you totally: any DAW could be used to create commercial hits. We are all too spoiled (which will most likely make more DAWs disappear over the next two years or so).
Go MuLab!

this sky is falling thinking is getting too funny :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Ever wonder why Izotope don't have their own DAW? Their new Spire thingy has to talk to something. I'm afraid Gibson will let it die on the vine, but would be cool if they would unload Cake on somebody--Izotope seems a good candidate.

Oh, and lest we forget, F- Gibson!

-u
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”