Good substitute for Variety of Sound effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NAEG wrote:Hey all, I've been a big user of the plugins from https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/ for a while, but lately they're not running very reliably in the newer DAW I'm using (Bitwig).
I have zero problem with them in Bitwig. What's the problem(s)?

forgot to say I replaced DensityIII with MJUC in most of cases
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

It would be rad as heck :P if TDR brought out a whole line of modern 64-bit effects based on the algos in Bootsy's work. There are such unique ones among them. The SlickHDR is a real sleeper when used tastefully, and as others have said, the tape and delay stuff is excellent. As they already have a business relationship through previous collaboration, this isn't even totally impossible :), and there sure is a market for these, as they have such a great reputation.

I can only agree: a new version of Thrillseeker VBL for example, maybe another collaboration with Tokyo Dawn, would be great.

For my part I had some issues with using Jbridge for the VOS plugins, but I think it was an older version of Jbridge that these problems were related to.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:
NAEG wrote:Hey all, I've been a big user of the plugins from https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/ for a while, but lately they're not running very reliably in the newer DAW I'm using (Bitwig).
I have zero problem with them in Bitwig. What's the problem(s)?
There's a few unique problems, the biggest being:

-SlickHDR (forgot to mention this one earlier): Often when I open a project that has this plugin in it, or just bring it over to a track, it will just start outputting a maxed out audio signal (0db), causing my speakers to pop and it won't stop til I actually turn the plugin off. Very annoying.

-ThrillseekerVBL, Ferric FDR, and NastyDLA: for these, often (after having brought them into a project during a previous session successfully) when I load said project up their meters will have disappeared, and will no longer output any audio.

Since trying out Jbridge, I seem to have more luck with just restarting bitwig, but these problems do still occur (i can't tell if Jbridge is helping but it does seem to - usually just takes one bitwig restart for things to start working again, previously I've had to just forgo these plugins entirely at a certain point). VBL seems to have a new quirk though: often, on the initial startup of a new session, when I make the GUI for VBL visible, my computer will freeeze for a moment, and then the screen with flash black and come back saying my video card crashed and restarted. After that though, the plugin has been working again.

To be clear: this happens with NO other plugins besides these variety of sound ones. The meter disappearing stuff has happened with a couple of others, but much more frequently with VBL and DLA (although those are also the two I use most often so maybe I just notice them more).
Last edited by NAEG on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendCNCD wrote:forgot to say I replaced DensityIII with MJUC in most of cases

ooooooh I forgot about Klanghelm....that and DC8C might be a good, affordable way to replace VBL. Thanks!

NAEG wrote:

ooooooh I forgot about Klanghelm....that and DC8C might be a good, affordable way to replace VBL. Thanks!
You can replace VBL with just MJUC.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

NAEG wrote:

Sorry but absolutely nothing like the mentioned plugins. VBL is totally unique in the plugin world.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Lets crowd fund VOS 64bit to entice him out of retirement

Yeah VBL has no substitute..
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

What's so special about VBL, I really got no clue, to me it seems it's an character compressors, but I'm obviously missing out on something, anyone care to explain?

Also, what nastyDLA have over TriTik Delay?

*Sorry, been using OS X and Logic for the most part of my "career".
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:What's so special about VBL, I really got no clue, to me it seems it's an character compressors, but I'm obviously missing out on something, anyone care to explain?
IMHO it is a compressor you do not use for compression, but more for color, tone and cohesion.

The thing about VBL is that I would really call it a compressor, it's subtle leveler at best. It's like
unique compression blended with saturation, but within one process. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense. :)

On top of really dark sounding saturation, you also got traffo emulation which additionally causes some low end and transient "funkiness". Phase rotation and stuff. It's a positively weird plugin, it's not the most useful thing ever, and it doesn't sound good on everything, but when it does work it sounds like nothing else.

Try it on long sustaining bass guitar notes, overdrive the input by +10dB on let's say preset "Tape2". LoFi Magic :love:

I used VBL allover this song, especially on bass guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ACu8TRXtY4

Zexila wrote:What's so special about VBL, I really got no clue, to me it seems it's an character compressors, but I'm obviously missing out on something, anyone care to explain?

Also, what nastyDLA have over TriTik Delay?

*Sorry, been using OS X and Logic for the most part of my "career".
VBL is right up my street and I've never really heard anything else which does the same thing (except maybe Waves GW Tonecentric which is also a beautiful sounding colouration). I like music to sound kinda dark, chunky in the lows/low mids if that makes sense. As a mastering engineer I would say it's the only 'preference' I have that sometimes finds its way into a clients master if things are overly bright and brittle. VBL is sometimes the absolute perfect processor to achieve this. I rarely use the actual compressor - I reduce the input (and compensate the output) until it's doing no gain reduction - then I crank the 'Amp' parameter until I like what I hear (then compensate the output again or blend the wet and dry). If you want to bring the highs back that have been filtered off there's the brilliance knob which is a lovely high end boost that almost never sounds harsh in any way. An indispensable plugin for me.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Been using VoS plugins in Reaper x64 for years, and I can't recall ever having an issue. Actually, a lot of my favorite plugins are x86 (SE/SM and otherwise) and still get used frequently (Bootsie, ArcDev, de la Mancha, TbT, GSi, HG Fortune, Antress, Mokafix, Simulanalog).

I guess I've never understood this aversion to bridging, but maybe Reaper's bridge is just awesome. Never tried jBridge.

Regardless, I would still contribute to a crowdfunding campaign to got Bootsie into the x64 world (and Mac as well) because they are truly great plugins that everyone should have access to. However, I doubt it would work; I seem to recall he wasn't keen on donations to him, asking people to donate to various charities instead. It could be, he's just not interested in DSP anymore.

zenvoxpop wrote:
IMHO it is a compressor you do not use for compression, but more for color, tone and cohesion.

The thing about VBL is that I would really call it a compressor, it's subtle leveler at best. It's like
unique compression blended with saturation, but within one process. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense. :)

On top of really dark sounding saturation, you also got traffo emulation which additionally causes some low end and transient "funkiness". Phase rotation and stuff. It's a positively weird plugin, it's not the most useful thing ever, and it doesn't sound good on everything, but when it does work it sounds like nothing else.

Try it on long sustaining bass guitar notes, overdrive the input by +10dB on let's say preset "Tape2". LoFi Magic :love:

I used VBL allover this song, especially on bass guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ACu8TRXtY4
My congrats, great song!

Backing IT:
http://www.danielrothmann.com/#software
http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Delay/Echo
http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?plug-ins=Dynamics

Return to “Effects”