Cakewalk Sonar Refuges: what's next?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Note that schwa, one of two Reaper devs, hinted at ARA coming soon in Reaper, which might be another boon for certain Sonar users looking to switch.

(BTW, ex-Sonar 7 user here, went to FL Studio, then Reaper, stayed with Reaper because it's much more flexible and does things the way I tell it to, rather than other way around.)
That's very good news!
That was a sticking point for numerous Sonar refugees.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

What is ARA?

I see that has to do with melodyne but what does it stand for?

By the way, I jumped on the cubase crossgrade since 250 was a pretty good price for it. Ive used Logic since around 2008 and was a sonar user prior to that. Cubase doesnt play super well with 4k monitors. The UI is usable but a bit small at 4k resolution. Is there any way to scale up the UI elements?

apondinthestream wrote:FL Studio is utterly different in design to Sonar or Reaper.
Yes, Reaper seems pretty much the only option. I will work it out, I'm in no hurry. ARA, I don't use. There are some small players too, Mulab (which I have already, not quite a replacement for Sonar, no offense), Mixbus, Mixcraft... But Reaper seems a safer bet.

Stupid American Pig wrote:The UI is usable but a bit small at 4k resolution. Is there any way to scale up the UI elements?
Unfortunately not yet, the best they've done so far is get most of the fonts and such to not blur. So, the interface should be clean. Supposedly better scaling is in the works to some degree. I've been holding off going 4k, but will probably do it soon regardless. From those that have done so, it seems that 43" to 50" is the sweet spot for size vs space vs readability. Anything smaller than 43" and various applications start to suffer from small GUI syndrome.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Stupid American Pig wrote:The UI is usable but a bit small at 4k resolution. Is there any way to scale up the UI elements?
Unfortunately not yet, the best they've done so far is get most of the fonts and such to not blur. So, the interface should be clean. Supposedly better scaling is in the works to some degree. I've been holding off going 4k, but will probably do it soon regardless. From those that have done so, it seems that 43" to 50" is the sweet spot for size vs space vs readability. Anything smaller than 43" and various applications start to suffer from small GUI syndrome.
Yeah that is sorta what Im seeing. Im on a 28" 4k. I can use most things as is, but I zoom some pages gui elements to 125% and its perfect. I think youre right about the 43-50" being the sweet spot.

First of all, I had issues with activation. While everything activated the way it intended, I keep getting constant beeps and I cant tell why (when playing the Demo song).

My VSTs did not show correctly. When I opened it first time, it said, "These VSTs failed..." and there was list of like 40 plugins. All native Instruments plugins failed and almost everything else.
Sure i understand the activation issues with Tracktion but once you get thru it runs well.

With the vsts did you try vst2 vs vst3?

Just a reminder for all Sonar Refugees that there's a viable alternative to Sonar offered for next to no money at the moment:

http://www.magix.com/index.php?id=24739 ... I1i8dKzA7h

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi all, I’m sorry to hear about the end of development for Sonar. As a long time fellow Boston/Cambridge based software developer, we at MOTU certainly appreciate the effort and challenges that go into maintaining a successful DAW. We understand how important these products can be to our users for both their livelihood and creative pursuits. For those who are currently in search of a new DAW, I wanted to make sure that you’re all aware that MOTU offers a cross-grade from any other DAW software to Digital Performer 9.51, and in fact we recently announced that we're offering a 50% discount on all crossgrade purchases to $195 (regularly $395) until Decemner 21 2017. A complete list of DP's features is available at: http://motu.com/products/software/dp (http://motu.com/products/software/dp)
Lastly I wanted to share a way to contact me directly. If you have any questions about any aspect of DP, I can be reached at: dpcrossgrade@motu.com (mailto:dpcrossgrade@motu.com). You can also feel free to call us here at Tech Support at: 617.576.3066

Travis Hagan | MOTU Support

I didn´t think there´s much life after SONAR, but I went for the great Presonus S1 crossgrade after all. I can recommend S1 to SONAR users. If you are very, very deep with MIDI then Cubase maybe a better choice, but otherwise S1 is excellent and covering my needs. I was amazed how far S1 has become from V2 that I tested.

sonicpowa wrote:I didn´t think there´s much life after SONAR, but I went for the great Presonus S1 crossgrade after all. I can recommend S1 to SONAR users. If you are very, very deep with MIDI then Cubase maybe a better choice, but otherwise S1 is excellent and covering my needs. I was amazed how far S1 has become from V2 that I tested.
It's my main DAW after using Cubase Elements and Artist for a couple of years. I like that it's slim, clean, and that you don't need many clicks for most things. Cubase always felt a bit convoluted in general, and there's too much window work IMO. I always liked the Cubase GUI better though, still needs some work in S1 IMO, but, surely works for me anyway.

Actually I didn´t think of Cubase because of the GUI. I think the GUI is more modern with S1. But it is just my opinion.
There´s a lot of little enhancements in S1 over Sonar that I like.

I picked up Cubase a year or so ago. The workflow is strange coming from Sonar, at least for me. However, it does have that great chord track. And you can easily change the colors if grey on grey is not readable for you.

If it weren't for the fact you have to pay every year, I would say ProTools is closer to the workflow of Sonar than most of the others. That could be because I learnt them both around the same time. But I had little difficulty going from one to the other. The setups seemed similar to me.

I've tried S1 and it is fairly easy to pick up and go with it. I ended up going with Cubase because I suck at playing instruments and the chord track is a lifesaver for me. Working with midi, S1 was much easier to work with. You have to activate the track before you can enter midi data in Cubase. It gets very frustrating until you learn all the little nuances. It is a very good product once you figure it all out, but it is not intuitive coming from Sonar. So I would probably rec S1 over Cubase.

I've been looking at DP because of the price. But I'm not sure it is worth it for me because I do have Cubase to frustrate me already. LOL! It looks to have a couple of useful things in that it will import audio at the current tempo and supposedly you can change the key somewhat easily. I quit using a lot of samples because they were never in the right tempo or key and it was a pain to change them. Sonar had something similar, though I didn't play with it much. Cubase supposedly will allow you to make audio follow the chord track, but I haven't gotten that to work well. I'm probably doing it wrong.

I haven't tried Reaper or FL Studio. Ableton is good, but a different type of workflow and Reason, well, I haven't tried it since it started working with VST. I guess it depends on your type of music what will work best for you.

Nearly all workflows will be a bit strange after Sonar. Cubase has some oddities, but is improving with every release. Live is different, but quite facile after you learn it. For my needs, it's the quickest. My biggest deal these days is that I won't use anything that doesn't scale. Can't squint anymore.

Really, you can get it done with anything. Try them all. There are a few sleepers out there.

You'll hear love/hate and a lot of noise about every DAW. It's all about your needs, what you find appealing, and what works for you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”