VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I downloaded it and tried it out and it sounds fine to me. Nothing earth shattering, but absolutely usable as a simple mono synth. And when listening to the hardware vs software, while obviously a difference, not such a great difference like with Arturia's Minimoog vs the real thing. This is actually pretty close.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to pay for it. It absolutely does deserve something. Believe me, I've heard much worse than this synth.
My god, turn the resonance up and sweep. That's not a well modeled ladder filter. Now repeat the same thing in Diva and tell me that you can't hear the difference. I downloaded it to see if there was anything there and my assessment from just listening to the video was spot on. If anything I wasn't harsh enough.

Is this seriously what people want? Do people really want to pay $59 for superficial emulations?
Nope but for just a few bucks (your decision) it's actually pretty nice. Not too far away from the sound of let's say Minimonsta imho. For a mono synth it would be nice if it would use a little less cpu though.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Seriously, just wait for The Legend to go on sale.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Seriously, just wait for The Legend to go on sale.
I already have The Legend.

ghettosynth wrote:My god, turn the resonance up and sweep. That's not a well modeled ladder filter. Now repeat the same thing in Diva and tell me that you can't hear the difference. I downloaded it to see if there was anything there and my assessment from just listening to the video was spot on. If anything I wasn't harsh enough.
Two different synths for one. Diva is modeled after the original model D while VK-1 is modeled after the Voyager.

Can't really hear the harshness you go on about either, unless you leave the volume up with max resonance (which has more to do with volume than anything), but then again who does that? In fact I've just A/B with The Legend and except for some added saturation in The Legend (it being modeled after the model d, not the voyager) the two operate in similar sonic territory.
Last edited by eXode on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wagtunes wrote:
Then why exactly are you looking at this? Boredom?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

braj wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Then why exactly are you looking at this? Boredom?
Not at all. I look at everything that comes out because, well, you never know.

eXode wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:My god, turn the resonance up and sweep. That's not a well modeled ladder filter. Now repeat the same thing in Diva and tell me that you can't hear the difference. I downloaded it to see if there was anything there and my assessment from just listening to the video was spot on. If anything I wasn't harsh enough.
Two different synths for one. Diva is modeled after the original model D while VK-1 is modeled after the Voyager afaik.
The voyager also has a ladder filter, there is far less difference between the filters than you imagine. This sounds nothing like a voyager or anything ever produced by Moog. It's not modeled after anything, it's bog standard filter code.

Here, listen where he turns the resonance up about half way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2W_vDS5N8

That's what a Voyager filter sounds like. What this plugin sounds like is something copied from the dsp archive.

It's your money, if you want to give it away, knock yourself out. It just amazes me how easily impressed that some of you are.

ghettosynth wrote: It's your money, if you want to give it away, knock yourself out. It just amazes me how easily impressed that some of you are.
:hihi: Yep. Shiny and new, come aboard, we're expecting you!

Ingonator wrote:In this video it even seems to use the same color scheme and buttons as the Voyager RME
That was how it was originally released as an RE...the silver skin came later. Perhaps someone leaned a little on Blamsoft.

I think it sounds OK, and has a different tone to my other Moog options. What I thought was a demo download seems to be the actual product....so certainly nothing to lose to give it a try. Can't help wonder how much better v2 is though, and whether Blamsoft should have entered the VST market with their best option.

ghettosynth wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, I downloaded it and tried it out and it sounds fine to me. Nothing earth shattering, but absolutely usable as a simple mono synth. And when listening to the hardware vs software, while obviously a difference, not such a great difference like with Arturia's Minimoog vs the real thing. This is actually pretty close.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to pay for it. It absolutely does deserve something. Believe me, I've heard much worse than this synth.
My god, turn the resonance up and sweep. That's not a well modeled ladder filter. Now repeat the same thing in Diva and tell me that you can't hear the difference. I downloaded it to see if there was anything there and my assessment from just listening to the video was spot on. If anything I wasn't harsh enough.

Is this seriously what people want? Do people really want to pay $59 for superficial emulations?
Nope but for just a few bucks (your decision) it's actually pretty nice. Not too far away from the sound of let's say Minimonsta imho. For a mono synth it would be nice if it would use a little less cpu though.
Nope, it's not even as good as any number of basic SynthEdit plugins.
Sorry but as a user of a lot of SE plugins and as an SE user myself (using mostly external modules though), with that statement I can't agree.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

ghettosynth wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Nope, it's not even as good as any number of basic SynthEdit plugins. Minimosta isn't anything to write home about either though. The landscape has changed in the last few years. I'm glad, it elevates the game a bit and hopefully it will thin the herd.
So just for interest, what would you think is the best ladder filter for you? I would choose the ones in P900 modular. At the end it doesn´t matter. Anyone can demo synths and choose what they like. But indeed there is a lot mediocre sounding stuff out there now if i compare that to the newer emulations. But as long as people are happy with these too, whatever.
Anyway 99% of KVR threads are mediocre too :D

ghettosynth wrote:Here, listen where he turns the resonance up about half way.

That's what a Voyager filter sounds like. What this plugin sounds like is something copied from the dsp archive.
Maybe there is something wrong with the video's audio, but that filter sounds pretty ugly to me :wink:
If that's what a Minimoog should sound like, please don't give me one for xmas :hihi:

The audio is very compressed, and there also seems to be distortion in the recording itself. Not sure why they compressed it so extremely. This is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqLYPsizWw

ghettosynth wrote:
eXode wrote:
Two different synths for one. Diva is modeled after the original model D while VK-1 is modeled after the Voyager afaik.
The voyager also has a ladder filter, there is far less difference between the filters than you imagine. This sounds nothing like a voyager or anything ever produced by Moog. It's not modeled after anything, it's bog standard filter code.

Here, listen where he turns the resonance up about half way.

It's your money, if you want to give it away, knock yourself out. It just amazes me how easily impressed that some of you are.
Okay, I listened to both. And you're absolutely right. Compared to a real Voyager, VK-1 falls short. But for that matter, there is no soft synth out there (unless Reaktor has something) that emulates a Voyager. Neither The Legend or Diva has a spacing control of Voyager nor the architecture.

So as "alternatives" go, this is as close as it comes right now.

Again, unless you know of a Reaktor synth that emulates Voyager accurately.

Return to “Instruments”