Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

Krakatau wrote:
beely wrote:
Krakatau wrote:I totally agree that, after Fairlight CMI and Synclavier, it would be really great to find in the future emulations of these hi-end hardware instruments like VL-1 or DX1
Well the main point of the DX1 was the actual hardware - impressive size, great visuals, great keyboard. Take those away, and you have two DX7's with slightly better components (= less noise, slight improvement in audio performance). Or a DX5 with less wood and without the weighted keyboard.
i see...

...good to know, i had once the occasion to touch a DX5 so i know what you're talking about all in all, but had no clues about DX1's specifications !
As beely explained, and since DX7 V can't emulate the hardware part (keyboard, etc.), and already has emulated much better circuits and DACs then what even the DX1 had, what lacks is the possibility to layer two FM instruments. Besides that, you already have in DX7 V more than you had in a DX1. The only thing that's really missing is the layering/splitting possibility - but maybe a version 2.0 will add that to the picture... who knows? :wink:

BTW - You can layer as many DX7 V as you want (and your CPU holds) in AL3. I am thinking in doing that to recreate the TX816 (with eight DX7 V instances).
Fernando (FMR)

Or you could use AL3 and layer/split two instances there.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Ok...and BTW folks what would you think of a Yamaha VL-1

...or even better : Yamaha VP-1 emulation

...if not utopic ? (but it doesn't seems so anymore...)
Last edited by Krakatau on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Krakatau wrote:i see...

...good to know, i had once the occasion to touch a DX5 so i know what you're talking about all in all, but had no clues about DX1's specifications !
Yep - the DX5 is basically a "budget" DX1 - more or less the same in terms of sound potentialy (still two DX7s internally), but cheaper everything (less quality components, less displays, less good keybed etc than the DX1, to bring the price down).

The DX1 owners I know swear than the DX1 has something special to the sound quality that the "lesser" DX's don't have, which could be true (higher spec convertors etc) but is almost certainly helped in that impression by how damn gorgeous the DX1 looks, and feels to play...

fmr wrote:I am thinking in doing that to recreate the TX816 (with eight DX7 V instances).
That was the *first* thing I did with FM7 back in the day - grabbed the TX816 sounds, layered 8 instances of FM7 in Logic, and set them up like the 816 for those sounds that used all 8 modules (= 48 operators). Fun!

Krakatau wrote:Ok...and BTW folks what would you think of a Yamaha VL-1 emulation ...if not utopic ? (doesn't seems so anymore...)
Ok. Again, these physically modelled synths were great in their time *but*, they only come alive when *played* properly. If you just trigger sounds from the keyboard, you are missing out a lot of the modelling potential and thus from what I understand they don't sound that great played like this (static, lifeless etc).

You really need breath control and other physical controllers to really play these things, at which point the models come alive a bit. The inexpensive VL70M module contained much the same models.

I haven't compared them, but I expect the best physical modelling plugin synths are broadly comparable with the 90s Yamaha models, but I think if someone did license Yamaha's models and put them in a plugin, the vast majority of KVR peeps would probably go "meh..." when they drew in a few fixed velocity notes into Fruity Loops' edit page and heard the results...

ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:So, here's something I've been mulling over with regards to upgrading to V6:

I am casually interested in the Buchla, CMI, and DX7 emulations, and Synclavier from V5, but at the same time, I honestly don't know whether they're worth the $200. Specifically, the fact that the latter three are emulations of digital synthesizers means that "analogue-ness" is now a non-factor, and I don't think many people are clamouring for that "1983 16-bit DAC" sound.

And in a world where Serum, FM8, Razor, Harmor, etc. exist to do cutting edge additive/wavetable/FM synthesis, it seems really hard to justify buying emulations of synthesizers which use deliberately out-of-date or arcane implementations of these synthesis methods.

Basically, what I'd like to know is: Has anyone here fallen in love with the Synclavier, CMI, or DX7 emulations on a sound design level? Or, if you've been using them semi-frequently, in what capacity are they used?
Here's a tip. Download the demos.

Oh cmon, it's a valid question and the demos are too short to really dig into the details of any of the instruments that he's talking about.
It's plenty of time to know if you're gonna fall in love regarding sound design. It's also a question of workflow, in which hands-on is the best way to find out.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Just had a look at the descriptio nof Arturia DX7 V here at KVR and it seems to sum up the feature set quite good:

link: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/dx7-v-by-arturia
DX7 V: Notoriously tricky to program, Arturia's recreation is designed to simplify the process and expand its synth capabilities with a mod matrix, customizable envelopes, extra waveforms, a 2nd LFO, effects, sequencer, arpeggiator, and more.

Main Features:
- 32 original DX7 algorithm.
- All DX7 original parameters.
- Original DX7 SysEx import.
- 25 available waveforms per operators.
- 6 Operators with multi-mode filter and feedback per operators.
- DX7, DADSR and Multi-Segments envelopes (syncable and loopable) per operators.
- 2 Modulation envelopes.
- 4 assignable macros.
- Advanced modulation matrix.
- A step sequencer, 2 LFOs with 6 waveforms and an arpeggiator.
- 4 FXs slots that can be routed in parallel or in serie.
- An oscilloscope.
- Vintage and Modern DAC Mode for a proper emulation of the DX7 converter.
- 32 voices of polyphony.
- 4 voices of unison with unison detune.
- 436 factory presets.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

BMoore wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:So, here's something I've been mulling over with regards to upgrading to V6:

I am casually interested in the Buchla, CMI, and DX7 emulations, and Synclavier from V5, but at the same time, I honestly don't know whether they're worth the $200. Specifically, the fact that the latter three are emulations of digital synthesizers means that "analogue-ness" is now a non-factor, and I don't think many people are clamouring for that "1983 16-bit DAC" sound.

And in a world where Serum, FM8, Razor, Harmor, etc. exist to do cutting edge additive/wavetable/FM synthesis, it seems really hard to justify buying emulations of synthesizers which use deliberately out-of-date or arcane implementations of these synthesis methods.

Basically, what I'd like to know is: Has anyone here fallen in love with the Synclavier, CMI, or DX7 emulations on a sound design level? Or, if you've been using them semi-frequently, in what capacity are they used?

Oh cmon, it's a valid question and the demos are too short to really dig into the details of any of the instruments that he's talking about.
It's plenty of time to know if you're gonna fall in love regarding sound design. It's also a question of workflow, in which hands-on is the best way to find out.
I disagree, as do others. If you don't want to talk about it why don't you find a thread that suits you? As I said, it's a valid question and I find that discussing synths and sharing experiences is often as valuable as demoing them yourselves.

That's what we do here.

To be clear, of course, it wasn't a question, it was an assertion and others have joined into the conversation and offered their input so it looks like more than a few people think that it's valid to have a discussion about a synth's features.

The fact it has the vintage Dac is actually interesting to me, that graininess and low pass was part of what made the original dx7 sound great. When you program to that you get meatiness. I’ll be curious to hear some comparisons with real dx7’s
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:

I disagree, as do others. If you don't want to talk about it why don't you find a thread that suits you? As I said, it's a valid question and I find that discussing synths and sharing experiences is often as valuable as demoing them yourselves.

That's what we do here.

To be clear, of course, it wasn't a question, it was an assertion and others have joined into the conversation and offered their input so it looks like more than a few people think that it's valid to have a discussion about a synth's features.
If you want to discuss synth features without demoing them, go ahead. No one is stopping you. My statement is true for me, and others. I couldn't care less about what you think.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Yes, please emulate this next Arturia! It was my first 'keyboard' ever!

If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Yes, please emulate this next Arturia! It was my first 'keyboard' ever!

Da! Da! Da!

braj wrote:Yes, please emulate this next Arturia! It was my first 'keyboard' ever!
Mine too!

There is an emulation for Kontakt that even models the "synth" mode...

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
akeia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:An IOS app does absolutely nothing for me.
Depending on the individual circumstances you can f.e. do sound design while commuting. Sketch songs on the road...
I don't commute. And when I do get in my car, the last thing I'm going to do is fiddle with an app while I'm trying to keep my eyes on the road.

Make no mistake about it, I have ZERO use for IOS and will always have ZERO use for IOS.
Never mind :borg: There are people around here pretending they do A LOT with iOS toys, yet I still saw nothing worth mention being published or showed.

The only useful stuff I saw an iPad being used for is when it is used as a controller or programmer for something.
iPads are useful for Lemur and friends. I do use mine in the studio at that level. I also use it sometimes synced via Ableton Link in live jams. In that instance, no midi information is needed and so the tablet is a standalone synth and you can leverage the advantage of it, e.g., multi-touch on cheap generative apps.

However, to fiddle about trying to get midi in so that you can route a single stereo pair out of the headphone jack, who gives a flying f**k. I don't know if there's audio over the network, but I want that even less. If I wanted an expensive hardware synthesizer I have plenty of those already in my studio. They come with all of the baggage that we had pre-daw.

So for me, the value of an iOS synth is much much lower than the value of a plugin. I wouldn't pay $10 for an iOS version of Diva, what would be the point? However, I willingly paid about $100 for the plugin version. You cannot ignore the utility provided by the environment as being a part of the value proposition. Desktop plugins are worth more.

So, given that I think that most desktop synth plugins are worth $20 or less, that puts most iOS synth apps at no more than a buck or two to be interesting and I've often not bothered at that price.

Return to “Instruments”