VK-1 Viking Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Here, listen where he turns the resonance up about half way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2W_vDS5N8

That's what a Voyager filter sounds like. What this plugin sounds like is something copied from the dsp archive.
Maybe there is something wrong with the video's audio, but that filter sounds pretty ugly to me :wink:
If that's what a Minimoog should sound like, please don't give me one for xmas :hihi:
LOL! Whatever, if you don't like Moogs I don't really care, but, that's what they sound like and this doesn't sound like that.

Here you go, here's another, the audio is a little cleaner and you can absolutely hear that it sounds nothing like the model here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv6M6IrCEK8

My god, the filter in this plugin is SOOO bad. I can't believe that you guys can't hear how bad it is.

Synths don't have to sound as accurate as DIVA or the Legend to be useful as a sound source imho I've never had the feeling that I had to use a sound that's 99% accurate as a minimoog or whatever hardware synth, in fact I think I don't really care that much. If it sounds good and catches the vibe good enough it's enough for me.

How many listeners will go "wow that must be a real minimoog he used there in that lead" if they listen to your music?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

OK, I downloaded it, I dunno about sounding like a Voyager, but on it's own, for 'pay what you want' it isn't bad. I wouldn't pay $59 for it though :shrug:

Throw some saturation and delay on it and it isn't bad. I wish the GUI wasn't silver though.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

wagtunes wrote: Again, unless you know of a Reaktor synth that emulates Voyager accurately.
I don't see the point, but no, I don't know of any synths that model the Voyager as distinct from other Moogs. I'm not into that kind of "completism."

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Again, unless you know of a Reaktor synth that emulates Voyager accurately.
I don't see the point, but no, I don't know of any synths that model the Voyager as distinct from other Moogs. I'm not into that kind of "completism."
So then with no other options, this is as good as it gets.

Nielzie wrote:Synths don't have to sound as accurate as DIVA or the Legend to be useful as a sound source imho I've never had the feeling that I had to use a sound that's 99% accurate as a minimoog or whatever hardware synth, in fact I think I don't really care that much. If it sounds good and catches the vibe good enough it's enough for me.
Yeah, I don't agree. If you want to call it an emulation you don't get to then sweep that under the rug and say that emulation quality doesn't matter. If you don't need that kind of accuracy in emulation then Diva will do this sort of thing just fine.

That's kind of my point, if you don't really need an accurate emulation then Diva's "spirit of Moog" will get you close enough to any of the moogs and why do you need a specific monophonic Voyager emulation that isn't quite there?

Either the subtle difference matter, or they don't.

Anyway, it's not as bad I was saying, user error, mea culpa! However, I'm still not seeing anything here that I would pay for. After all that drama about monophonic synths and Repro I'm surprised people are excited about a monophonic synth, especially one like this that doesn't really need to be mono. It does not sound like a Voyager to me and as far as being special it's just two filters in serial or parallel, so yes, it's pretty easy to knock this up with blocks in Reaktor if that's what you want. It will sound better and still be monophonic.

ghettosynth wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Synths don't have to sound as accurate as DIVA or the Legend to be useful as a sound source imho I've never had the feeling that I had to use a sound that's 99% accurate as a minimoog or whatever hardware synth, in fact I think I don't really care that much. If it sounds good and catches the vibe good enough it's enough for me.
Yeah, I don't agree. If you want to call it an emulation you don't get to then sweep that under the rug and say that emulation quality doesn't matter. If you don't need that kind of accuracy in emulation then Diva will do this sort of thing just fine.

That's kind of my point, if you don't really need an accurate emulation then Diva's "spirit of Moog" will get you close enough to any of the moogs and why do you need a specific monophonic Voyager emulation that isn't quite there?

Anyway, it's not as bad I was saying, user error, mea culpa! However, I'm still not seeing anything here that I would pay for. After all that drama about monophonic synths and Repro I'm surprised people are excited about a monophonic synth, especially one like this that doesn't really need to be mono. It does not sound like a Voyager to me and as far as being special it's just two filters in serial or parallel, so yes, it's pretty easy to knock this up with blocks in Reaktor if that's what you want. It will sound better and still be monophonic.
And I'd be more than happy to put a Voyager together in Reaktor using blocks if I could. But even using blocks, I have no idea how to create a spacer control. It appears that there are actually two filters, even though there is only one cutoff control. So I'm assuming the space simply pans one or both of the filters. Don't know because I'm not a techie. But yeah, I'd love to be able to put a Voyager together.

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

And I'd be more than happy to put a Voyager together in Reaktor using blocks if I could. But even using blocks, I have no idea how to create a spacer control. It appears that there are actually two filters, even though there is only one cutoff control. So I'm assuming the space simply pans one or both of the filters. Don't know because I'm not a techie. But yeah, I'd love to be able to put a Voyager together.
Well, like I said, part of my quick assessment was user error. I deleted the comments that were probably too harsh. That's what happens when I rush things. However, my original unimpressed response was based just on the video and that holds.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Well, like I said, part of my quick assessment was user error. I deleted the comments that were probably too harsh. That's what happens when I rush things. However, my original unimpressed response was based just on the video and that holds.
That's okay. We only rush to judgment sometimes but that still doesn't help me with my "problem." What would I have to do inside of Reaktor to emulate the Voyager filter spacing. The rest of it is pretty much just find the modules you need (LFO, ADSR, etc) and plug them in and hook them up. That much I can do now. But that filter spacing has me stumped. No clue how to proceed.

wagtunes wrote: That's okay. We only rush to judgment sometimes but that still doesn't help me with my "problem." What would I have to do inside of Reaktor to emulate the Voyager filter spacing. The rest of it is pretty much just find the modules you need (LFO, ADSR, etc) and plug them in and hook them up. That much I can do now. But that filter spacing has me stumped. No clue how to proceed.
Spacing is just the difference between the two filter cutoff frequencies. The detail of this is in the manual. You are just going to use the spacing knob to add or subtract from the cutoff of the second filter. It's labeled in octaves so the difference depends on the cutoff.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote: That's okay. We only rush to judgment sometimes but that still doesn't help me with my "problem." What would I have to do inside of Reaktor to emulate the Voyager filter spacing. The rest of it is pretty much just find the modules you need (LFO, ADSR, etc) and plug them in and hook them up. That much I can do now. But that filter spacing has me stumped. No clue how to proceed.
Spacing is just the difference between the two filter cutoff frequencies. The detail of this is in the manual. You are just going to use the spacing knob to add or subtract from the cutoff of the second filter. It's labeled in octaves so the difference depends on the cutoff.
Are you referring to the Voyager manual or the Reaktor manual?

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The Voyager manual.

https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... _combo.pdf

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
The Voyager manual.

https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... _combo.pdf
And from that I should be able to build one of these in Reaktor.

It's not much math. I don't use Reaktor but the operation involved is just taking the cutoff frequency of one filter, multiplying it by some number defined by the spacing knob, and making that the cutoff of the second filter. You just need to multiply one number by a variable.

I don't care about this synth one way or the other, but hopefully my comment could be helpful if you're trying to get into synth design.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”