Poll: GUI scaling importance

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

How important to you is the ability to scale a DAW's interface?

Could care less
14%
I find it handy
24%
Darn near a necessity
62%

Total votes: 91

RELATED
PRODUCTS

untimelyman wrote:It's a necessity. Ask any Windows user who has tried to use Digital Performer.
yes it is the strangest thing - they went to all that trouble to bring DP to Windows but forgot to make it readable

Looks like it has some significance to about 84% of us. Interesting. That's actually considerably higher than what I was expecting. Thanks for voting.

Hi

The fact that SOME developers are able to produce scalable GUI's tells me that it is possible (I am not a coder so I have no idea how challenging this is) - the vast differences in user monitor size, resolution settings - not to mention the users EYE SIGHT tell me that this should probably be one of the first things on the 'list' when a developer is planning their software.
I would say that ALL software should have some kind of facility to scale the GUI, be it a DAW, editor or VSTI.
I can see the problems for a large (code base) piece of software, but such an endeavor could be part of a version update which in turn brings in revenue.

It's not quite as easy as it sounds. Creating the scalable elements is no big deal, but dealing with the variable-sized objects and workspace requires some effort. Depends on how you did things. If you were modular/object-oriented and each object reports on the mouse/touch/etc. it should be pretty easy. If you're relying on the hard coordinates and set-sized objects in an array, it's going to take some more work. Not rocket science, but time-consuming.

That's if you're going from scratch. There may be some toolkits around, I don't know. It's not a minor thing, but after the initial work...

All that said... Most DAW programmers are familiar with zooming things, so it should be easier for them than most. I know Jo implemented it on MuLab without a huge amount of fuss.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”