Writing on the Wall - Retros 60-ish (British Invasion)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Long time lurker (and sometimes commenter) of the Music Cafe here. Thanks to the feedback from kind folks on the IL forums (including everyone's favourite animated gif designer, donkeytugger), here's the first track I feel confident enough to share with you lot.

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/writing-on-the-wall

It's not supposed to be an authentic sounding 60s track per se, but I think that comes closest to describing the mood of the song. Blur was also mentioned as a reference, and the lead guitar is most definitely a nod to Mr Gallagher. Of course, 90s Britpop owed a lot to the British sound of the 60s.

Thoughts, feedback, criticism is welcome. I am however unlikely to make any more changes unless there's something that really needs to be fixed.

If anyone wants to make a stab at interpreting the lyrics, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Full lyrics are on SC, though I can post them here if you want. Runs the risk of being a wall of text though (oh, the irony).

Good song. It does have a 60s sound. The lyrics are intriguing.

It is a bit samey throughout -- not much variation in sound or dynamics. But the lyrics kept me engaged for multiple listens.

Nice job. :tu:

Nicely done with the vocals, they keep the song together. The track has a pleasing vibe throughout..
Greetings
HM

Frantz wrote:Good song. It does have a 60s sound. The lyrics are intriguing.

It is a bit samey throughout -- not much variation in sound or dynamics. But the lyrics kept me engaged for multiple listens.

Nice job. :tu:
Thanks!

The constant repeating cycle that only changes subtly from iteration to iteration is on purpose, as it is the underlying theme of the song. So while it might be more interesting musically to add more variation, I think it would subtract from the work as a whole. I guess the approach is more along the lines of some of Bob Dylan's stuff: he'd tell a story and just repeat the same motif under it (Like a Rolling Stone, Hurricane spring to mind immediately). And seeing as the theme can be boiled down to something like "the more things change, the more they stay the same", I'm down with the arrangement as is.

Of course, that means I have to rely on the melody and lyrics to make things more interesting. People seem to find the melody catchy, which I think is important.

There's also a bit more subtle variation than it might at first appear; the chords in the chorus aren't quite the same as the end of the verse. And the instrumentation changes throughout. But the changes are definitely meant to be on the subtle side!
htcnext2 wrote:Nicely done with the vocals, they keep the song together. The track has a pleasing vibe throughout..
Greetings
HM
Thanks, I wish I were a better singer though.

..and still bloody catchy.

donkey tugger wrote:..and still bloody catchy.
Have you got another of my songs stuck in your head? If so, sorry about that!

And thanks again for all your input.

Return to “Music Cafe”