Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

beely wrote:Seriously... Mac v PCs..?

C'mon people. Nobody cares what your personal preferences are...
Yeah, I honestly don't know how I let myself get dragged into this. It has nothing to do with the V6 Collection that I'm still on the fence about getting now or waiting until it drops to $99.

One thing I can't argue. The update is excellent. The new synths are super cool. There is no question I want them. The only question is whether or not I'm willing to spend $199 to get them.

I'm sure when the time comes I'll figure it out.

So for those of you who HAVE either gotten it or at least demo'd it, in what order would you rank the Easel, CMI and DX7 from best to worst? Just curious to see what the general consensus is.

ghettosynth wrote:
There's nothing to disagree with. He says he doesn't want to faff around trying to integrate an external synth with midi and audio. Do you own any external synths? We've been doing this for decades, we know how to do it. It's a pain in the ass. Wait until you need more than your little stereo pair then come talk to me about how great it is.

There is a platform utility to to desktop OSes and he just described a part of what it is. You simply don't have that utility on your iPad. You don't. I have one too, yay! Hell, I even use mine occasionally for jams where it can be fun. But to suggest that getting an iOS app in lieu of a plugin betrays that you don't really understand the value of the desktop platform.
Boy do you like to listen to yourself talk a lot. First off, I can disagree with whatever and whomever I want so stuff it. Secondly, you have absolutely no clue what I have or don't have so stop jumping to stupid conclusions. The guy was wrong and there are plenty of people (like me) integrating an iPad into their music rig. Is the iPad the center of my music setup? No its not. Is it as valuable as any other synth plugin I've got on my Mac? Damn right it is.

fmr wrote:
jasonekratz wrote: Can't agree more. IMHO it's worth taking the money you'd buy on a hardware synth and invest it instead in an iPad and the many good synth apps that exist (again...especially around Black Friday when everything is on sale). Mono/Poly is fantastic btw.
MonoPoly is one of those things that we can also have NATIVE, and fortunately, it doesn't cost a fortune. Actually, all the better tools you have in Korg Gadget are things that already exist in Mac/Windows since a very long time, and are now ridiculously cheap and very easy on the CPU.

Unfortunately, Korg kind of adandoned development of them, and is trying now to sell them AGAIN to users disguised inside that ridiculous thing they call Gadget. :x
Don't use Gadget but I have all of their iOS synth apps. All were far cheaper than their native plugins ;)

wagtunes wrote:
teilo wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Oh believe me, I have no love for Microsoft. But it's the lesser of two evils. It's an easier platform to work with. There are more tools for serious musicians.
Ok. Now you’re just trolling.
So now I'm a troll because I think some software companies don't give a crap about their customers.

Okay, whatever. Have a nice day.
I wouldn't say you're trolling but I think you're wrong because my direct experience is completely the opposite. I've always had fantastic support from Apple. It's exactly the reason I keep giving them my money when its time to upgrade stuff. Are they perfect? Nope. But I haven't found anyone better as of yet.

fmr wrote:
beely wrote:
ls1xxx wrote:Can someone tell me if this Arturia CMI-V contains the library from the Fairlight Series 3 please?
No it doesn't, and it's not an emulation of, nor does it sound anything like, the Series III.
Well... It does 16-bit and 44.1 kHz. What else was added in Fairlight Series III that's missing (this is a serious question)?

Anyway, it's true that what was being emulated was essentially Fairlight up to IIx, not III, although there are a lot of "extras" that, AFAIK, no Fairlight even had.
The playback bit-depth in CMI V is adjustable between 1 bit and 16 bits and the sampling rate betweeen 2100 Hz and 44.1 kHz (there is an Auto-Set switch to adjust tzhe rate to the loaded sample).

In the real CMI IIx loops could be only set in 128 samples steps which could create clicks while in CMI V you are able to fine tune the loops.

The CMI IIx had analog input filters (Lowpass and Highpass) that in CMI V are available at "SAMPLING OPTIONS" (like the sample rate). Low and Highpass filters in CMI V could be switched on and off ynd you also see the resulting changes in the sample display (where you could also zoom in).

That's is also explained in this tutorial video by Glen Darcy from Arturia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TyJPgXTLSQ
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

pdxindy wrote:
AnX wrote: ...and yet macs still only accout for 6% of the computer market...
much higher among content creators... you know, the creative people who make cool shit :hihi:
Havent seen a single doctors surgery or hospital thar uses macs, you know, proper jobs :hihi:

Ingonator wrote:So has this now completely turned into an Apple and iOS bashing thread? FWIW i never owned an iPhone, iPad or Mac and do not plan to get any of them but why do i even try to stay on topic with my previous posts here if all others are derailing this thread since some pages now...
Apparently it has with no help from myself. Apologies for the noise added. I'll be more careful from now on. Just so hard not to argue on the internet.... ;)

I think everyone here should try Linux and Reaper.

beely wrote:[nevermind]
CMI V indeed is based on a IIx but it could go beyond that also concerning playback bit-depth and sample rate.

Most of what i just explained is also found in the video i posted above.

UPDATE:
Noticed you seemed to have changed your post while i replied which also changed the quote included in my reply...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
beely wrote:[nevermind]
CMI V indeed is based on a IIx but it could go beyond that also concerning playback bit-depth and sample rate.
Yes - the guy was asking about the differences in the Series III, and CMI V is neither an emulation of that, nor does it contain the Series III library - although it does as you describe go beyond the CMI IIX (as to be expected in this day and age).
Ingonator wrote:Noticed you seemed to have changed your post while i replied which also changed the quote included in my reply...
Yes, I think you were responding to the second part of that post, rather than the first part as I first thought, so I deleted the initial response...

Ingonator wrote:
That's is also explained in this tutorial video by Glen Darcy from Arturia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TyJPgXTLSQ
instructive...thank you,
As far as i can see it reflects quite well the good and the bads of what was the hi-end resynthesis capacities of the related decade !

Last few days I've been demoing the Arturia Buchla. I like Madrona Labs Aalto and Softubes Buchla better. Arturia is always a bit fiddly to use. And the sound isn't better than Madrona and Softube.

Next up... the CMI!

No Series 3 library then a no go for me.

chk071 wrote:I think everyone here should try Linux and Reaper.
I tried Linux three times, over the years, didn't like it, decided not to waste my time with it anymore. One of those times it basically destroyed itself and wouldn't boot, in a way I couldn't figure out how to recover from. :shrug: It was basically "OS installation as a hobby" and I found I didn't enjoy the hobby.

I tried Reaper briefly recently too, on the theory that Maschine is a weird mismatch for the way I actually work and it might be nice to recover some desk space. I didn't give Reaper more than a couple of hours, but it was pretty bewildering to start out with and I didn't feel motivated to keep pushing through the pain until it got comfortable.

So anyway, how about that V Collection, eh? :hihi:

I'm finding the Left Hand automation stuff in BEV useful in getting around some of the instrument's limitations. For instance, I can modulate gate 1 level with the "mod cv out" but then create an envelope to open Channel A volume.

Sometimes though, I'll have a nice patch set up, save it and... suddenly everything changes and the patch sucks. I suspect some of the less stable behavior just can't be relied on, like self-patching the inverter to make it oscillate. Which I guess is authentic behavior, but annoying.

Also the FX on the hidden panel often don't seem to complement the sound and I find myself using external FX instead.

As far as Aalto vs. BEV goes, I like them both for different reasons. Aalto is not very Buchla-like but has its own vibe. Its tuned delay line can create some really nice psuedo-natural wind instruments. In fact I keep coming back to growly, flute-like patches with it.

Return to “Instruments”