FX chain techniques

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone.

I have a quick question on your preferences for setting up an fx chain. In particular I'm looking for info on where you place compression in relation to delay. I've always placed my delay right before my verb but after compression. I recently started using serum and they have the compression after the delay and before the reverb.

What are your thoughts on this? I assume that a lot of it is context but I'm having a hard time visualizing this one. Maybe it sounds more "natural" in regards to psycho-acoustics to have the delay hit the unprocessed signal before being compressed. It's weird though because reverb is technically delay, so why have the split?

Thanks in advance!

depends what youre trying to achieve, compression after delay will increase the volume of the delayed repeats, rather than getting quieter quickly.

You change the order of the chained fx in serum, can experiment with different orders to see what you like the sound of depending on the situation

This is really a contextual question. But this is my standard FX chain:

Instrument (VST or guitar normally) > Chorus or Modulation effect > Saturation (decapitor) > EQ8 (ableton) for cutting frequencies > Compressor (Presswerk) > EQ8 for adding frequencies if needed > Delay (echoboy) > Reverb (vintageverb or toraverb) (obviously not all of these effects are going to be used on every track :P)

Saturation is one of the coolest effects when used subtly. It adds those extra harmonics which can bring out an instrument and add extra warmth to a sound.

Sometimes I like to stick a tape emulation (satin) or little radiator (preamp plugin) at the start of the chain for a bit added character.

Sometimes it pays off to experiment with how you arrange your fx chain. Like sticking a compressor at the end of the chain can really bring out the reverb tail and delay. Can be an interesting effect.

Return to “Sound Design”