IK Multimedia SampleTank 3 Articulations Guide

RELATED
PRODUCTS

These are just a few that are in the free Library so you can add extra instruments to the rcCTRL.
Place IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.rcCTRL in User\Documents\RapidComposerV3\DB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl7pyyu3qfatk ... 3.zip?dl=1

Right click on a note in Note Editing Mode or Phrase Editor, select the articulation.
See more here viewtopic.php?f=285&t=479776

Make sure you adjust the octave of the note in the rcCTRL file to match the octave number in RapidComposer, with Kontakt I had to add an octave like G0 > G1 same with ST3.
When Attila adds "Lock" (no transpose) absolute note option that will help, so no matter where you move the phrase a KS note will stay where it should, if you want to draw the notes manually.

Key switching Instruments let you press specific keys in the low register to act as buttons that change the articulations. They are indicated in red on the SampleTank 3 keyboard. Velocity switching Instruments play different articulations selected by how hard you press the key. And mod wheel switching moves between different articulations depending on the position of the modulation wheel.
Key Velocity
group="Instrument"; articulation="Sustain"; keyswitch="C1"; keyvelocity=25;

Mod Wheel value
group="Instrument"; articulation="Sustain"; keyswitch="C1"; ctrl=1; ctrlval=70;

Key Switch Instruments show the switching keys as red or dark gray on the SampleTank 3 keyboard. Red indicates the active articulation. To see a description of the available articulations within a Key Switch Instrument, click any of the colored keys to open the Key Switches window that shows each articulation labeled on the switching notes. This example shows a multi-articulation Viola Instrument with the Detache articulation selected.

http://www.musicdevelopments.com/wiki/d ... iculations

Copy & Paste into Notepad or Text Edit then save as IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.rcCTRL

Code: Select all

## Controller and articulation definitions

controllerset= IK SampleTank 3;
controller={name="Modulation"; num=1; default=0; },{name="Volume"; num=7; default=64; },{name="Expression"; num=11; default=100; },{name="Control 20"; num=20; default=64; },{name="Control 21"; num=21; default=0; },{name="Control 22"; num=22; default=0; },{name="Control 23"; num=23; default=10; },{name="Sustain"; num=64; default=0; off=0; on=127; },{name="Legato"; num=68; default=0; off=0; on=127; },{name="Reverb"; num=91; default=64; },{name="Chorus"; num=93; default=0; };

group="Acoustic Guitar - Steel String 2 Picked"; articulation="Normal"; keyswitch="C1";
group="Acoustic Guitar - Steel String 2 Picked"; articulation="Slide"; keyswitch="C#1";
group="Acoustic Guitar - Steel String 2 Picked"; articulation="Harmonic"; keyswitch="D1";

group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Sustain"; keyswitch="C1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Detache Long"; keyswitch="C#1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Detache Short"; keyswitch="D1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Expression Fast"; keyswitch="D#1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Expression Slow"; keyswitch="E1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Mute"; keyswitch="F1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="No Vibrato"; keyswitch="F#1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Pizzcato 1"; keyswitch="G1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Pizzcato 2"; keyswitch="G#1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Soft"; keyswitch="A1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Staccato Short"; keyswitch="A#1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Staccato+"; keyswitch="B1";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Sul Ponte 1"; keyswitch="C2";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Sul Ponte 2"; keyswitch="C#2";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="Sul Ponte 3"; keyswitch="D2";
group="Strings - Violins"; articulation="11 Violins"; keyswitch="D#2";

group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Sustain"; keyswitch="C1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Double Staccato 1"; keyswitch="C#1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Double Staccato 2"; keyswitch="D1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Flutter"; keyswitch="D#1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="No Vibrato"; keyswitch="E1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Portato 1"; keyswitch="F1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Portato 2"; keyswitch="F#1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Sticcato "; keyswitch="G1";
group="Woodwinds - Flute Multi"; articulation="Triple Staccato"; keyswitch="G#1";

group="Ethnic - Gu Zheng Full"; articulation="Gu Zheng 1"; keyswitch="C1";
group="Ethnic - Gu Zheng Full"; articulation="Gu Zheng 2"; keyswitch="C#1";
group="Ethnic - Gu Zheng Full"; articulation="Gu Zheng 3"; keyswitch="D1";
group="Ethnic - Gu Zheng Full"; articulation="Gu Zheng 4"; keyswitch="D#1";
group="Ethnic - Gu Zheng Full"; articulation="Gu Zheng 5"; keyswitch="E1";

Last edited by crossovercable on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Also note, for Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and CE, be sure you have the latest version of Sample Tank as it will load these libraries automatically as well. Otherwise it is exactly the same as above for those VSTi's.

Ok, just actually coming back to this as this is a little more complicated than the example you give.. so, I got confused.. In the below screen shot, you can see the different libraries I have.

ST 3 SE has instruments that have Key Switches as well as PH 2 CE. Since I can use instruments for the available libraries in one session, I need to know how to use the key switching in RC.

Would I have to build one big articulation control file combining all the libraries or can I use separate control files? Also, how would I name the groups, since they are actually separate?

ST 3 SE has similar named strings that are PH 2 CE, but, the articulations are very different. Meaning, ST3 SE has Strings -> Ensemble strings -> 11 violins multi ....and so does PH 2 CE... note that the other libraries don't have any key switchs, but, if they did.. lol

I suppose there is one track in RapidComposer that you send to ST3 and there is another one that you send to MP 2 CE. So in the first track you use an articulations file prepared for ST3, and for the second track you use another .rcCTRL file prepared for MP 2 CE.
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Ok, I think I get it now.. they definitely have to be separate control files .. It will take a while for me to create that one file, it has a lot of KS instruments.. but, as I get it done, I'll post it here so no one else will suffer this.. lol

I will gladly help you with that. I just need to have the list of keyswitches and other articulations.

yea, that would be great.. I'll see what I can do to get a list to you.. would a video of me clicking the instruments be better? The switches are clearly listed.. the problem really is there are a LOT of them..

I am guessing there is no need for the ones that are velocity switched? there seems to be a lot of those as well. I would think that those don't need a control, since it is just velocity..

No, I need a written list. You should find it in the documentation. There must be a specification which details the keyswitches and other articulations.

Unfortunately it doesn't. It comes with two PDF's. One is the operation of the VST and the other talks about the instruments, but neither lists the key switches. It will be a manual endeavor of writing down each key switch by looking at the VSTi.. Fortunately, the notes are displayed in the VST and the names of what they do. Why I suggested a video..

edit: I did finish each "section" listing the different groups. Not all switches start at C0 too, some are at C5, for instance.. And those need to map to RC, which may not be C0, but, rather C1. Kind of why I asked in the forums how to map the piano roll, for this very situation. hehe

And here it is, the video.. hopefully you can read it.. the offline version isn't much better.. the only other option would be screen shots of each instrument.. trying to avoid that.. if this isn't good enough. no, problem, I'll just do it.. as I can anyways..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yql90P ... e=youtu.be

OMG! :cry:
I sent an e-mail to IK Multimedia asking for the articulations specification for PH 2 CE.
I hope they have such a list. :pray:

I searched the net and the only thing that I found was a thread here, besides this, lol, that they at first did not even have it coded into the library. My guess, they don't have one, but, you never know..

EDIT: oh yea, while we are at this.. I will need one for Garritan Instant Orchestra as well. I havn't looked if I have the Key Switches. I see there are other Garritan libriaries in RC, but, it lacks that one..

Instant Orchestra is more suited for very quick film scoring..

Yes, I also searched the net...
I sent a request to Garritan about Instant Orchestra articulations. They are a nice company, I am sure we get the specification.
Thanks,
Attila

Yes, if you are using it on another track just make another rcCTRL.
Yes, I look everywhere for keyswitch info, but then I thought just email IK as they have been very helpful in the past.

I received a reply from IK Multimedia. It seems an articulations list does not exist. I want to make sure that they suggest to load all "KS" instruments one by one and make notes manually about the articulations. I do not own Miroslav Philharmonik and I do not know how many instruments have articulations. I'll post updates here if I have new info.
Thanks,
Attila

Return to “Tips & Tricks”