Fragile Gods - "Step Outside the Frame" (video added Jan 1)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChamMusic wrote:Hi Frantz...

That new mix is much better to my ears...tighter and more cohesive in general with more room for the various strands to do their thing.

Vocals - sit better in the mix without swamping it at times.
agreed. sounds great to me......
good funky, toe tappin bassline :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Frantz is that your voice? If so you are very lucky to be able to sing so well. I really like this style of the music a lot too. Well done my friend. :tu:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

layzer wrote:i think the underlying melody distracts from the vocals and can be done away completely or panned/ stereo spread where vocals are present to give them more focus.
The chorus melody was reworked in the second version and is hopefully improved.
layzer wrote:another fine FG that kept my toes tapping and brain contemplating.
this had a more mid-bassy tone to it, but was barely noticeable without
putting it under the microscope. a solid synthpop track all around with a nice sound set.
i liked the vocals and the lyrics too. great job, Frantz!
Toes tapping and brain contemplating is a good combination in my book! I agree the mix leans towards the mid-bassy. I was going for a darker sound on this. Glad you liked the lyrics and vox.

I really appreciate the multiple listens and constructive feedback. :hug:

tapper mike wrote:Loved it, I find that the vocals were a little weak and it didn't work with the effects on top of them.
Other than that I think it was great production very cool punk-funk vibe calling back to a strange mix of David Bowie and Dan Hartman.
The vocals in the current version are mixed differently based on all the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it. I get a lot of Bowie comparisons but never Dan Hartman before. I need to check him out on Spotify.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting.

seismic1 wrote: I liked the verses, and the instrumental break towards the end, and the doubling of the synth line with MTron worked very well. The percussion and bass synths seemed to drive the song along effortlessly, and I liked the vocals which sounded more "musical" than those on some of your earlier tracks. It's quite a polished sound overall.
Yes, I think that was one of my better instrumental breaks. I did try to make the vocals a bit more melodic this time.
seismic1 wrote:I've just played the new version. I'm much more comfortable with that chorus after only one listen. However, now I'm thinking that the ending is a little abrupt. After the change at the end, it might sound more natural (and possibly predictable), if you went back to the 4 bars of the intro, ending on the downbeat in the fourth.
I'm glad the revised chorus works better for you. I know what you mean about the ending but I've spent a lot of time on this track already and I feel like working on something new.

I appreciate all of the helpful feedback. :)

e@rs wrote:Why no Q?
This guy was not involved in this song. :shrug:

himalaya wrote:Depeche Modeliciously David Bowiengly.

A lost Depeche Mode track that was written in collaboration with David Bowie?
I get a lot of Depeche+Bowie comparisons which I take as a compliment. Thanks for listening and commenting. :)

I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Any new Himalaya music in the works?

Frantz wrote:
e@rs wrote:Why no Q?
This guy was not involved in this song. :shrug:

:P I was talking about your yellow keyboard from the German manufacturer...

BTW, I downloaded the .mp3 of your song a few days ago and listen to it daily. Not exactly my style, but I dig it anyway. And yeah, your voice is very Bowie.

pretty cool upbeat pop from the 80s vibe :)
enjoyed that!

This rocks. Love the formant synth. Is that the M-Tron? The vocal seems buried in the mix at the very beginning, gets louder later in the song but is still in the background. Great new tune, dude.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

aaron aardvark wrote:instrumentally it mostly reminds me of Depeche Mode (a compliment!). The singing vocals are mostly good: some parts are a little pitchy, but nothing serious; the vocals add a lot to the song. I might have personally done a little less vocal synth stuff, but that's purely subjective: which synth is that by the way? Audio quality is all very good, including vocal effects. Overall I like the song!
That vocal synth is Diva. I am always struggling with singing in tune but I am glad you liked the vox and the song. :)
aaron aardvark wrote: Do you have any particular thoughts on Icarus? Are there any free (legal) patches for it floating around the internet?
I love Icarus especially the resynthesis capability. Whenever I am working on a sound and it is close but not quite there, I bounce it and resynthesize it in Icarus and continue sculpting the sound.

I haven't looked for Icarus patches on the internet. With Tone2 synths, I always make my own sounds.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

fastlanephil wrote:This song was kind of Bowiesque for me in a good way. Solid pop sensibilities here. Maybe it could benefit from some chiming in backing vocals?

I enjoyed it!
Maybe I should change my band name to Depeche Bowiesque? :wink:

Yes, one of these days I may try to get a female backing vocalist. I can't seem to harmonize or do backing vox well on my own.

Thanks for your comments. :)

htcnext2 wrote::tu:
I really enjoyed the alternating melody lines here. Seems as if you put some time into the arrangement, too. Very enjoyable, I think.
Yes, I put a lot of work into this. It was one of only two tracks I completed this year. Glad you enjoyed. Thanks for listening. :)

As usual very good and strong song writing :) That little "break" at 2.23 with the Ah - Ah's was a nice touch.

There is a lot going on in this track but it doesn't sounds "too much". It all weaves together in a pleasant way.

So...... :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Frantz wrote:
I can't seem to harmonize or do backing vox well on my own.
To misquote Laurence Olivier, 'my dear boy, you really should try plug-ins'.. :hihi:

Melda's MUnison is a bit of a godsend for this with a bit of tinkering with the intervals, or manually you could use Melodyne (I do the same thing in Newtone in FL). Don't worry about it being too robotic and unrealistic. If you mix it right it won't be noticeable. For something a bit different a bit of vocoded backing vocal sounds good as well.

Before I forget, nice tune - vocals could do with bumping up a bit in the first part. :D

Return to “Music Cafe”