Recommendation for woodwinds VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!
Can anybody recommend a good woodwinds ensemble-VST with DRY sound samples of the instruments? I mean by that close-micing without any room reverbation. I'm looking at Spitfire which seems quite interesting beacause of all the instruments controls, but even their close-micing samples have a little bit of room reverberation, because they recorded them in a church, I think. Thank you!

EWQL Hollywood Woodwinds Diamond

Hi, I don´t use much woodwinds in my arrangements, what I need, I´ve been happy with those came with NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, i.e. Symphony Essential Woodwind Ensemble & Solo -libraries. You can listen demos of those in the NI site.

For actual dry, VSL.
I mean they're dry on purpose, it's not a matter of turning down mic samples in a Kontakt group.

Jan is probably right. I know VSL was recorded on a stage, but I am not sure about things like mic positions. Heck I don't understand VSL at all. I guess they are dry single mic positions. Jan would know more.

Every library I have, Berlin Woodwinds (Teldex in Berlin), Hollywood Woodwinds (Studio 1 at Eastwest), Symphonic Woodwinds (some state of the art Hall, heh), all have some color from where they were recorded. Spitfire was recorded at Air Studios in London.

They call it 'the dry stage'. It's all stereo and in all probability it's an X/Y cardioid pair; pretty close to the player. The way I approach spatiality is using their Hybrid Reverb which has a potentiometer for how diffuse the reverb behaves. At 100% it's fully diffuse, "0% means that an input signal only on the left channel will yield an output signal only on the left channel". And there are ways and means to get back to front which I'm too poor a technical writer to convey at this time. There are ways to shape the room, and predelay for both the early reflections and 'tail'. Which is the Hybrid, that is algorithmic 'verb.

Then they came up with teh Multiple Impulse Responses but that costs an arm and a leg. You can move the little guys around on that stage and shape the mic response by location and angle kind of at will. And set a back of the room stereo config up and mix it with the front of the room, determining where exactly those things are located. Now it's the Synchron Stage which gives you virtually actual height to boot. It's quite scientific really. :)

Chris Hein Orchestral Winds Complete or VSL

Thank you all for your comments. I'll check the VSL.

koip wrote:Thank you all for your comments. I'll check the VSL.
VSL is excellent. It's also the most expensive.

VSL is very, very good but it needs some work to sound great.
If you want instant results, East West is also good.
Berlin Woodwinds is another choice...

Chris Hein Winds are also nice sounding and pretty dry.

WIVI sax and woodwinds. Covers almost everything, and uses some kind of modelling to recreate the sound of the instruments, but they sound very realistic.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

I rechecked my Chris Hein Winds and they are dry and fantastic. What makes them special is you can almost load a single patch and using the interface access every articulation and possibility of sound without keyswitching. Just a great instrument. Chris Hein makes my favorite solo instruments for sure.

Are there any convincing VSTs based on pure synthesis, ie not sample based? Interesting for me... I am a Clarinet player.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Are there any convincing VSTs based on pure synthesis, ie not sample based? Interesting for me... I am a Clarinet player.
https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php - only brass so far I believe.

Return to “Instruments”