what's changed?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
Firstly, I would like to say hello again, and that I have missed the music/technology greatly!
As like many adults, my life changed for the better, buying a house, children and family (dirty nappies and paying bills, wallop)
I was a budding producer for 9 years, had a couple of lucky breaks, but after 4 years, I now want to regain what I have missed so much, my youth included lol.
Question is; has anything actually changed?
OK, logic x, u-he diva(sounds a dream, but from what I gather is a cpu hog), many other justifiable soft synths and fx!
I thought I was going to enter a realm from another planet, it seems not and like it!
Is there anything I've really missed out on?
All good!

Did you buy children and family? Woah...

OT: try Repro5 from U-He. You'll love it

Yeah, all mail order, lol. On it now ,bang on! Thx

U-he goodness as usual, nice up to date prophet, nice one!

steviec wrote:U-he goodness as usual, nice up to date prophet, nice one!
Yeah, i love those 2 synths (repro1; 1 voice with secuencer, repro5; 8 voice). If you buy repro, you'll get those 2, which is neat, imho.

steviec wrote: Is there anything I've really missed out on?
Not really. Some improvements here and there, but nothing major.

steviec wrote: OK, logic x, u-he diva(sounds a dream, but from what I gather is a cpu hog), many other justifiable soft synths and fx!
I thought I was going to enter a realm from another planet, it seems not and like it!
Is there anything I've really missed out on?
All good!
It depends on what you come from, and what are your interests. If you have been out for four years, and contrary to what some say, I think you missed a lot:

For example, you missed the explosion of modulars. There are modulars everywhere (both physically and birtually). This seems like a fever. Eurorack is omnipresent, but there are also a lot of modular emulations being launched.

Reaktor 6 (which you have missed), now includes Blocks, which allows you to build an extremely powerful modular). There are an amazing amount of modules available. Also others, like for example the free VCV Modular, or the Softube Modular. There is also a replica of the Moog Modular for Mac only, but I don't remember the name.

You also missed a lot of amazing sample libraries. You missed Falcon, and HALion 6 (two amazing instruments, sample based, but that go way beyond sampling, being like two synth work horses, capable of almost any kind of synthesis technique).

You missed the already mentioned RePro suite from U-He (actually, you didn't since the suite is now still in public beta). And also Bazille - you definitely should check it (did I mention something about virtual modulars? :hihi:)

Another field that exploded virtually (or virtually exploded in the virtual) is the world of wavetable synths, with things like Serum, Icarus, Nave, and more recently Rapid, and Avenger. Synthmaster also gained wavetable capabilities. And both Falcon and HALion also do wavetable synthesis (among many other things)

Wavetable and modular seem to be the two key words for the last three years.

Roland now has a "cloud" and launched virtual replicas of the Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and D-50, as well as several others, including the basis of the Modular System-100 - another modular)

And you missed the Arturia Virtual Collection 5, which included the Fairlight, and the recently launched Virtual Collection 6, that includes the Fairlight CMI, the Buchla Easel (another semi-modular) and the DX7 (all with lots of extra features).

I think these are the best things in a quick memory exercize.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

plugins are now in color; music is all in 3/4 time. you can no longer use A minor as a key in pop music. everyone pans their synths to the right, never left or center. and songs are never longer than 1 minute.

otherwise, all's the same.

there ARE some really great plugins out there; look thru some of the threads on this forum, download some demos... have FUN.

fisherKing wrote:...music is all in 3/4 time. you can no longer use A minor as a key in pop music. everyone pans their synths to the right, never left or center. and songs are never longer than 1 minute.
And here I was, thinking it was just me. :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Whaling songs are now a big thing...
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

The last 4 years saw a rise in some very unusual genres. Future bass and a new version of jersey club were a couple and there influence can be heared in pop now. K and j pop became less sterile and more dynamic wheras american music became simpler and quite frankly rather dull.

Nothing interesting happened in the UK worh mentioning.

There was also a push towards a darker ambient sound particularly in american music and there have been a lot of new, strange reverbs hitting the market shortly after like adaptiverb.

The main difference however is this strange compulsion to trasnform timbre in unique and even bizzar ways. So there are many new and freakingly crazy fx plugins on the market now.

Shit, i forgot to mention omnishere2.

Return to “Instruments”