three years and I still don't know what genre to produce, how the heck do you guys choose?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent advice.

End of thread.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Instead of investing in a new fancy plugin get Melodics for a year and Earmaster 7, ear training and finger drumming training, develop your musical skills first.
dedication to flying

Aloysius wrote:
End of thread.
This thread is not over until OP is confidently telling casual aquaintences about his passion for a genre that contains at least one hyphen!
ImageImageImageImage

:hihi:

Well. Then: I do outsider-leftfield :-)

Very cool. Very cool.
ImageImageImageImage

vitocorleone123 wrote:
highkoo wrote:
vitocorleone123 wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:I've never even considered choosing a genre to make music in. I just make music.
:tu:
I have a job in tech - it pays me. I have a hobby in music - it makes me happy. I only finish a couple songs per year, and none of them sound like one another, beyond falling under the "electronic" category. I just follow the muse(ic) and see where it takes me on the journey.

Good luck
No market research...? :o
Correct. I'm not trying to be in a market, nor do I want to (intentionally) sound like anyone else. Clearly if I was attempting to make some cash, I'd have to change that. But if someone is struggling to "pick a genre", I'd say, don't. Just spend some time making music and see what happens before you decide what comes easier. In the meantime, listen to different genres and see if one calls to you more than the others.
We‘ll make you an offer, you can not decline...

Just think of all the 'Tween' dollars Vito!!1!
ImageImageImageImage

you've gotta make your own music
Sing your own special song,
Make your own kind of music even if nobody else sings along
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

highkoo wrote:Just think of all the 'Tween' dollars Vito!!1!
:o

reconsiders life choices

:D

Three years and I still don't know what gender to produce, how the heck do you guys choose? :help:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

ImageImageImageImage

that becomes a problem when you are good at many things, it takes time, i think it's best to work and produce, in time you'll find what express the real you, find info and go deep all the way, taking breaks and do other things is good too and never stop exploring, in time all this will knowledge and talent merge and will be your unique voice, don't care about labels and superficial stuff.

Genres are good. period.
It easier to focus on a track this way. It is.
You limit yourself within boundaries. Boudaries are awesome.
You will learn how to create specific sounds. Good.
You will learn how to create fx used in the genre. Better.
You will learn specific styles of arrangement. Awesome.
You can easier adapt to other genres too. Now we're getting somewhere.
Master a genre and you will be a far better producer than someone who just turns knobs and tries notes.
Of course most never reach this stage, because it is hard.

Don't trust people who'll tell you not to pick a genre.
They are liars and amateurs and try to bring you down to their level.
They don't know how to cook, because they never learned a recepy.

The worst quote is: 'Just sound like yourself'. Fall for this trap and you are doomed to mediocrity forever, mwahahaaha.

Don't trust anyone under the age of 30.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”